Cruise hopping help....

Wrldtrvlr8

Hello, so I spent 21 years in the Air Force and left with a love of travel and a fear of flight. So I'm trying to get to S.E. Asia and back home by boat. I'm having trouble with the Middle East portion and was hoping for some advice or routes you know about or have taken. I can get from the east coast to Europe easily it seems at any time. I've found a reasonably priced cruise from Genoa to Abu Dhabi Dec 6th, and then Abu Dhabi to Singapore Jan 14th. But that strands me in Abu Dhabi for 20 days. Anyone know of a later route to the middle east from anywhere in Europe? I've never been on a cruise so if you have any other advice, I'd love to here it. I'd like to stay a few months the in Asia and then I'll need to find a route on to the west coast or back home the way I came.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Edited by Wrldtrvlr8

Are you wanting to spend time in some parts of Europe or Asia?

You could do an around the world cruise that would take you from Miami & back going to all those places

here is one cruise line to check

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/cruise-finder/#sailDates=2019|01,2018|01#destinations=180dayworld

Find a cruise search site & put in the dates you are looking for departing Abu dhabi & see what other ships are going to Asia in the time frame

Hello, so I spent 21 years in the Air Force and left with a love of travel and a fear of flight. So I'm trying to get to S.E. Asia and back home by boat. I'm having trouble with the Middle East portion and was hoping for some advice or routes you know about or have taken. I can get from the east coast to Europe easily it seems at any time. I've found a reasonably priced cruise from Genoa to Abu Dhabi Dec 6th, and then Abu Dhabi to Singapore Jan 14th. But that strands me in Abu Dhabi for 20 days. Anyone know of a later route to the middle east from anywhere in Europe? I've never been on a cruise so if you have any other advice, I'd love to here it. I'd like to stay a few months the in Asia and then I'll need to find a route on to the west coast or back home the way I came.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Firstly, thank you for your service.

Without any snarkiness intended, I would suggest that you take the extra time and money you're sure to spend on what basically amounts to an ATW cruise and find a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in this arena (there are short term group programs for fear-of-flight).

At the very least, you could brave a round trip flight to the west coast before/after two transpacific cruises (one in each direction).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the idea of traveling around the world by only boat. And I'm piecing together cheap cruises which will be half or less what a RTW cruise would run. Lastly I want to be able to stay in Asia for months. So I guess I should have mentioned that time is not an issue.

Maybe you could find a local travel agent have them work out all the details. They can search for lots of cruises and let you know what might work within the parameters you set

Another option to consider is booking with a passenger freighter. There are several freight companies that take paying passengers.

It will not be anywhere near as luxurious as an ocean liner but, you might find it easier getting from New York to Asia this way. Some of the cabins are quite nice, you dine with the crew and captain.

Take a look at these links:

https://www.freightercruises.com/voyages.php

Take a train out west and sail from there

http://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/freighter-cruise-asia-to-west-coast-usa-copy

Do a search for your itinerary from either passenger freight companies.

Jonathan

I like the idea of traveling around the world by only boat. And I'm piecing together cheap cruises which will be half or less what a RTW cruise would run. Lastly I want to be able to stay in Asia for months. So I guess I should have mentioned that time is not an issue.

Timing is everything

If you want to spend time in Asia for a few months maybe check ships leaving the west coast like Vancouver , San Fran or L.A to Japan or China then work your way back to the east coast

Take a train to London & do a Cunard ship back to the USA if your timing does not match the other main stream lines

Maybe you need to talk with a travel agent in your area to help plan out the trip

Price out the segments to go where you want to spend extra time

Sounds like a great adventure

Enjoy