Honolulu/Vancouver/Sanfrancisco

seaworthy1

I know this has been asked and answered many times, so those that must flame, flame away. But for anyone who can answer I would much appreciate it. Can you board a ship in Honolulu going to Vancouver and stay on same ship going on to San Francisco? A back to back cruise.

If this violates some archaic law, can I get off the ship In Victoria a day early and re catch the ship in Vancouver?

Edited by seaworthy1

Not sure why anyone would flame you.....of course you can do this b2b. Sounds wonderful! :cool: You MUST MUST MUST go to the pier in San Fran and see the seals. OMG....amazing.

Edited by champagne123

Should be able to while conforming to PVSA. If the ships can do Alaska-Victoria-Seattle......

However, such cruise routines are generally extremely limited (as in maybe once or twice a year for all lines) if totally non existent.

You'd have to find a cruise, probably in spring, that does Honolulu-Vancouver one-way which turns around and repos down the coast (generally not until autumn unless the ship does Alaska cruises out of San Francisco (Princess does some 10 day ones IIRC).)

I know this has been asked and answered many times, so those that must flame, flame away. But for anyone who can answer I would much appreciate it. Can you board a ship in Honolulu going to Vancouver and stay on same ship going on to San Francisco? A back to back cruise.

If this violates some archaic law, can I get off the ship In Victoria a day early and re catch the ship in Vancouver?

No. As far as the government is concerned, you've done a trip from Honolulu to San Francisco without a stop in a distant foreign port.

I'd think that disembarking in Victoria and reboarding in Vancouver would be OK, but I'm not sure on that one.

Should be able to while conforming to PVSA. If the ships can do Alaska-Victoria-Seattle......

I've never heard of this. They do roundtrip Seattle, but I've never heard of a ship starting in Seward or Whittier that didn't end in Vancouver.

However, such cruise routines are generally extremely limited (as in maybe once or twice a year for all lines) if totally non existent.

You'd have to find a cruise, probably in spring, that does Honolulu-Vancouver one-way which turns around and repos down the coast (generally not until autumn unless the ship does Alaska cruises out of San Francisco (Princess does some 10 day ones IIRC).)

Celebrity Solstice 4/29/2018 Honolulu/Vancouver arv. 5/11...then 5/11 to 5/18 Vancouver to Seattle.

Celebrity Solstice 4/29/2018 Honolulu/Vancouver arv. 5/11...then 5/11 to 5/18 Vancouver to Seattle.

That's exactly the type of itinerary that you CANNOT do legally as a B2B. You can do one leg or the other, or do the same itinerary on 2 different ships, but you can't get on the Solstice on 4/29 in Honolulu and stay on it through to getting off in Seattle on 5/18. There have been reports on CC of people being allowed to book such a cruise, then being notified later that one or both of their cruises must be cancelled.

The OP asks about getting off the ship in Victoria, spending one night on land, then re-boarding in Vancouver to continue the voyage. You might get away with that one, but would need written advance permission from the cruise line. I'm sure there's been discussion about this topic before on CC but don't know quite how you'd phrase a search to find it.

That's exactly the type of itinerary that you CANNOT do legally as a B2B. You can do one leg or the other, or do the same itinerary on 2 different ships, but you can't get on the Solstice on 4/29 in Honolulu and stay on it through to getting off in Seattle on 5/18. There have been reports on CC of people being allowed to book such a cruise, then being notified later that one or both of their cruises must be cancelled.

Absolutely correct. The ship can do it, but the passengers cannot. Everyone who boards in Honolulu has to disembark for good in Vancouver, and then a new set of passengers get on to go to Seattle.

We once did a one day from Seattle to Vancouver, and during the muster drill one of the cruise staff asked if anyone was staying on to LA (which was where it was going next for the summer season). Many of us answered "we can't - we're not allowed to".

You can't do it- even if you book it in two segments. I know it sounds maddening but this happened to me. We boarded in LA- the cruise ended in Vancouver but I was not allowed to continue on from Vancouver because the cruise ended in Seattle. Even though it was two segments, I got a call from the cruise line and they told me that I would not be allowed to do the cruise. I had booked with an online agency at two different dates. The cruise line saw my name on the manifests and contacted me the week before the cruise! They refunded me the money for the second cruise and I was able to find another ship in port that day. So we did a different cruise line for the second cruise.

The only way this would be possible is if you debark in Victoria and re-board in Vancouver - but you'd need to contact the cruise line in question to check if this would be permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Celebrity agree to let you end your first leg in Victoria - and you take all of your stuff off with you! - you could travel independently to Vancouver and board again without PVSA violation. Your stuff must come with you otherwise it's a Jones Act violation - cargo rather than passengers being moved between different US ports.

Also consider a different ship for one leg - there have been many folks who have gone one-way to Vancouver then boarded another vessel for a second one-way to a US port. Since the V in PVSA is Vessel (singular) changing ships, even if they're from the same line, is enough to ensure the two legs count as legally-separate cruises for the CBP.

NB: I assume your first mention of San Francisco was a mistake since you're mentioning a cruise that definitely finishes in Seattle above?

We were just cruising on the Solstice where a number of passengers boarded in Honolulu and we boarded in Vancouver. Our disembarkation port was in Seattle.

A number of people disembarked in Victoria as they were not allowed to sail from Honolulu (one American port) into Seattle (another American port) without a distant foreign port.

So, no, your cruise is not allowed and they will cancel one leg or the other.

On the bright side, we booked a cruise that was Seattle to Vancouver a couple of years ago. We stayed one night in Vancouver right there in the Pan Pacific and then took another cruiseship down to San Francisco. It was a blast!! However, if the same ship went from Vancouver to San Francisco on the same date as disembarkation, we'd not have been able to do this. This itinerary was only possible in Sept when the cruiselines schedule their ships south after the season for Alaksa.

According to the PVSA, you are not able to sail from one US port to a different US port without stopping at a distant (key word = distant) foreign port ( two different US ports = open loop cruise). The reason you are able to sail on a closed loop cruise (Seattle to Seattle, SF to SF, LA to LA) without stopping at a distant foreign port is that the PSVA allows you to stop at any foreign port (eg: Ensenada, Victora) ... but these non-distant foreign ports only apply for closed loop cruises.

Champagne and cruising cockroach are incorrect. You cannot go from Hawaii to San Fran on the same ship.

There are no cruises that go from Alaska to Seattle. Only Alaska to Vancouver or Seattle r/t.

Yes, I apologize. I realized this and it was too late to edit my post.

Thanks, everybody. I think I finally get it. The law seems outdated and archaic, but it is what it is. We could stay over in Vancouver for three days and catch a Princess cruise to Seattle, but have decided to just add more days pre-cruise in Hawaii. All these first world problems......