1st Princess Cruise Dress Code question

dvond

We are flying across country so have limited baggage room. We have been on many cruises and the whole dress up for dinner is not important to us, just want to check that jeans will be fine every night for dinner for the men even on formal nights.

Just trying to plan accordingly

We will be on the Ruby to Alaska

Thanks!

We don't do formal nights any longer and will either go to a specialty restaurant or Horizon Court on formal nights. That option works well for many of us who do not wish to pack formal wear for our cruises.

We don't do formal nights any longer and will either go to a specialty restaurant or Horizon Court on formal nights. That option works well for many of us who do not wish to pack formal wear for our cruises.

Thanks, we dislike buffets and was hoping for a casual "formal" night especially on an Alaskan cruise

Thanks, we dislike buffets and was hoping for a casual "formal" night especially on an Alaskan cruise

You can try but the reality is you are a good bit more likely to be stopped at the door of the MDR on Princess than on the other lines I see by your posting history you have sailed.

I do hope you work out something in your favor for those two nights; as this seems to be a near-dealbreaker for you I am sorry you did not research Princess' dress code before booking. (Had you done so you also would have found that jeans are technically not part of the dress code for Smart Casual nights, though in practice you will have absolutely no issue there)

Of course jeans are fine on formal night. Everywhere on the ship except in the main dining rooms.

(Bracing myself for the expected retorts from the usual cast of dress code contrarians).

Lol. Totally appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH pointed out men in long sleeved button down shirts, ties and slacks and said next time he's not taking a jacket. That's as casual as he would get for formal night's, and not too much to pack, to me. Jeans are fine in Horizon Court and specialty restaurants will usually accept them even on formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH pointed out men in long sleeved button down shirts, ties and slacks and said next time he's not taking a jacket. That's as casual as he would get for formal night's, and not too much to pack, to me. Jeans are fine in Horizon Court and specialty restaurants will usually accept them even on formal nights.

Thanks guess we will bring a pair of pants and a button down for that night

There is no such thing as formal casual and blue jeans would definitely fall in the casual camp. But to answer your question, we were just on a South American cruise where we saw all sorts of garb in the MDR even on formal evenings. As a practical matter there is no dress code that is enforced on Princess in our experience. I think you would be least likely to be confronted on an Alaskan itinerary if you choose to wear jeans on any night. However if you do you will definitely be in the minority. Have a great cruise however you choose to dress.

My husband wears a button down shirt, tie, and dress pants in the MDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I wore on 3 formal nights on the regal in January, no problem at all and there were many with no jacket as well as some with jacket but no tie.

There were even a small number with no tie or jacket. I didn't see any jeans, but did see one guy get seated with shorts, Hawaiian shirt and red MAGA ball cap:( if your guy takes a couple nice ties, dress shirt and slacks he'll be fine unless the Alaska cruises are more formal than he Caribbean ones.

Have fun:)

We are flying across country so have limited baggage room. We have been on many cruises and the whole dress up for dinner is not important to us, just want to check that jeans will be fine every night for dinner for the men even on formal nights.

Thanks!

Yes, you can wear jeans in the MDR on formal night. Some PAX do that. No holes or rips. I would avoid the "Hillbilly Look" ie. torn or ripped jeans, t-shirt, wearing ball cap on head, for dinner in MDR. Although I've seen a few PAX dressed like that for dinner in MDR. :) FWIW, I stopped wearing tux and suits over 5 years ago. Now wear a sport coat, dress shirt with or without tie, khakis pants, casual shoes. Never a problem ever being admitted to MDR on Formal Night.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

hummm that is debatable with whom one is addressing.

On our Alaska cruise May 27, 2017

I wore dress slacks, nice evening top, and carried my sweatshirt hoodie bc I get cold!!

My husband wore slacks, casual button up shirt with a matching tie and sports jacket.

We dress like the majority of the MDR on formal night.

I did not, nor would expect to see jeans in the MDR of formal night. There are plenty of venues to eat dinner that night so why not choose one of them if jeans are what you and your mate enjoy.

The 2nd formal night we ate in the Crown Grill and wore the same clothes. I do enjoy dressing just a bit formal if that is what it means to wear dress slacks, etc.

Have fun of the cruise.

Sandra

There is no such thing as formal casual and blue jeans would definitely fall in the casual camp. But to answer your question, we were just on a South American cruise where we saw all sorts of garb in the MDR even on formal evenings. As a practical matter there is no dress code that is enforced on Princess in our experience. I think you would be least likely to be confronted on an Alaskan itinerary if you choose to wear jeans on any night. However if you do you will definitely be in the minority. Have a great cruise however you choose to dress.

Thank you! And being in the minority would not bother me a bit

Yes, you can wear jeans in the MDR on formal night. Some PAX do that. No holes or rips. I would avoid the "Hillbilly Look" ie. torn or ripped jeans, t-shirt, wearing ball cap on head, for dinner in MDR. Although I've seen a few PAX dressed like that for dinner in MDR. :) FWIW, I stopped wearing tux and suits over 5 years ago. Now wear a sport coat, dress shirt with or without tie, khakis pants, casual shoes. Never a problem ever being admitted to MDR on Formal Night.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sounds good....thanks!

Sorry to hack your feed, but can you wear nicer jeans and shoes with a button down shirt and/or blouse on non formal nights? Thank you for the information about formal nights.

Yes

I will chime in here.

Just returned from an Alaska cruise in the Star.

My guys wore nice dark jeans with long-sleeve collared shirts on the smart casual nights.

I don't recall seeing any jeans in the main dining room on formal nights.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The cruise region has nothing to do with the suggested dress on the Princess website.

It's the same throughout the Princess fleet.

There will be many dining options on your cruise.

We have been flying across country and around the world for many years and have no issues with adjusting and carrying our formal wear.

Thanks!

I am not having a go, but what I can't understand is why people always have to try and buck the system. Formal means formal and jeans are not formal wear. As you can see I come from the UK so we do stick to the rules more.😀

Since Princess only requires a shirt, tie and slacks (and not even a tie) if your jeans aren't wrinkled or look like the typical "blue jeans" they just might be OK. Especially the darker color jeans if pressed would probably suffice. It's more a thing of appearance then just being denim. I typically wear a guayabera dress shirt without any jacket and it's never tucked in. 3418989_fpx.tif??op_sharpen=1&fit=fit,1&$filterlrg$&wid=1200&hei=1467

I love jeans as much as most people (especially the slim leg jegging type), but other than one pair for touring in cooler weather i find jeans way more bulkier and heavier to pack. Khakis, light fabric trousers look so much nicer and are lighter.

This is a very controversial topic and can be addressed by reading the Princess guidelines in their downloadable book.

Tere will be many answers given here but in the end it will depend on the ship. captain and Maitre de - I have seen men allowed in wearing casual and have seen men turned back to get a tie or jacket