Tipping Question

jaee901

Lady lilac, by opting out and only tipping your waiter / cabin steward, many others behind the scene lose out. The crew at the buffets, cleaners, laundry, cooks , the list goes on and they are all part of making your vacation memorable. Also with anytime dinning and multiple restaurant choices you most likely never have the same server twice. Are leaving money on the table when you leave? There has also been some talk that your cabin steward etc. can not keep the bonus tip, it must be turned in and pooled. If true then they miss out twice, their share of the DSC and the full bonus tip you give.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have real concerns about tipping. The "process" is really bewildering. I generally opt out of a charge on my account. I take envelopes to personally make sure the staff who help me is rewarded with cash.

It should not be bewildering. It's really, really, really simple. Pay your daily service charge to ensure that all crew members who worked very hard to make your cruise enjoyable are rewarded. If you want to tip extra, feel free to do so,,, in addition to the daily service charge.

It should not be bewildering. It's really, really, really simple. Pay your daily service charge to ensure that all crew members who worked very hard to make your cruise enjoyable are rewarded. If you want to tip extra, feel free to do so,,, in addition to the daily service charge.

Exactly so!

Lady lilac, by opting out and only tipping your waiter / cabin steward, many others behind the scene lose out. The crew at the buffets, cleaners, laundry, cooks , the list goes on and they are all part of making your vacation memorable. Also with anytime dinning and multiple restaurant choices you most likely never have the same server twice. Are leaving money on the table when you leave? There has also been some talk that your cabin steward etc. can not keep the bonus tip, it must be turned in and pooled. If true then they miss out twice, their share of the DSC and the full bonus tip you give.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I do always pay the DSC I can see the point of people who want to tip just the people who serve them. If someone is not directly serving me then They should be paid a decent wage by NCL. I wish they would just have a one price and get rid of the DSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do always pay the DSC I can see the point of people who want to tip just the people who serve them. If someone is not directly serving me then They should be paid a decent wage by NCL. I wish they would just have a one price and get rid of the DSC.

Life on a cruise ship

Most people do not realize that when NCL instituted the DSC, they changed the way their employees are paid. They are all on contract that pays their wages without regard to the DSC.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

At no time does NCL say that the DSC is split among the crew. In fact, they admit that it is not given to the crew as shown above.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining. Read more about the service charge.

If you wish to give a staff member a gratuity by all means do so at the end of the cruise or when they provide a service.

In addition to the 1¢ per person per day , and that is doing the math in a very generous way, he gets out of the DSC pool wow (as if it had anything to do with tips in the first place). :D

There is NO DSC pool. NCL crew (for the most part) are paid a salary that does nto vary, unless they earn an incentive.