LIVE from the Celebrity Summit: 6/27/17 Independence Day Canada & New England Cruise

doggfan7

I'm wondering if anyone can share suggestions for the best way for myself an my mother to be picked up by a family member when we arrive via the Summit in Boston this weekend. My mother will be using a wheelchair, so the closest point to the ship where a car can drive in would work best. Do you know if cars are able to drive into the port area? Is there a nearby parking area? Any suggestions?

We are also on this cruise. All the port stops have been great. We had a complimentary excursion today of Harvard through Distinctive Voyages. They operate with independent travel agents. Our room, 7172, is in fine shape. Our Internet, though, is pretty awful. It is hard to get on and stay on, especially in our room. Guest Services admits that it isn't good but since we have GoBest, they can't help us.

Susan

We greatly enjoyed our day today in Boston with our friends Dave and Liz. We had sandwiches for lunch from a great deli in the North End and brought them to the waterfront for a great picnic in the grass. We walked around the Quincy Market and Fanuel Hall area which was really special for Independence Day. We are now on the shuttle back to the ship. It was a beautiful day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Came up to the buffet this evening to get our daughter some dinner before our 8:30 reservation and we were met with a nice surprise! The grill at the back of the buffet was offering the leftover lobster cooked to order!

2341780a4cbeca20836daafef1fcf2e8.jpg

We also took a stroll on the Sunset Bar, which rewarded us with the beginning of a beautiful Boston sunset. Pictures can never do it justice.

5172d3252fb47b886a9c581a05fa6a1c.jpg4c9b5ad56cfb9bc208995a0bb5c3b3db.jpg

We decided to have room service for dinner, DD was having an off night (read: terrible twos) and felt it better to keep her away from a dining room full of passengers trying to enjoy dinner.

Room service was an absolute fiasco. It took 3 different trips and 5 (FIVE!!) phone calls to get our order straight, which was completely standard. Aside from the veal cordon bleu that was on tonight's dinner menu, everything else was inedible to bad.

Tonight, I walked up to Deck 10 to check out the Independence Day "party". Unfortunately, most of the ship is probably out in Boston as there was almost no turnout whatsoever. Felt bad for the band playing to an empty deck. As far as what they had, I was expecting some special deck buffet, but unfortunately it was just the pool grill serving burgers, hot dogs and chicken wings on American flag paper plates. Hopefully it heats up.

We are boarding the Summit as you are leaving. The one question I have it this: It will be warm on Friday so we would like to wear shorts. Do you know if they allow shorts in the MDR the first night if you don't get your luggage in time to change. We have the early seating. Thanks so much. Judy

We are boarding the Summit as you are leaving. The one question I have it this: It will be warm on Friday so we would like to wear shorts. Do you know if they allow shorts in the MDR the first night if you don't get your luggage in time to change. We have the early seating. Thanks so much. Judy

The suggestion is no shorts in the MDR at dinner, but having sailed Summit 11 times I can tell you I have seen people in shorts during dinner.....sitting right next to me as a matter of fact. Now...it all depends on who is manning the door. Sometimes they will turn people away. Can you roll up a pair of pants in your carry-on, just in case?

Unfortunately the weather forecast is not looking great for Friday. Rain with high temp of 78. Hopefully the rain will be gone before sail away. See you in 2 days.

We are boarding the Summit as you are leaving. The one question I have it this: It will be warm on Friday so we would like to wear shorts. Do you know if they allow shorts in the MDR the first night if you don't get your luggage in time to change. We have the early seating. Thanks so much. Judy[/quote

I've been on the Summit many many many times(last time was May 2016, next time will be this coming September), and while things change depending on who is in charge of the MDR, the "no shorts" dress code is relaxed for the first night for both traditional and late seating. They understand that many run the risk of not getting their luggage delivered on time to change into long pants so yes, if the temps are hot and you happen to be wearing shorts to dinner on your first night this coming Friday, you won't get turned away. Can't vouch for any other night though.

We are boarding the Summit as you are leaving. The one question I have it this: It will be warm on Friday so we would like to wear shorts. Do you know if they allow shorts in the MDR the first night if you don't get your luggage in time to change. We have the early seating. Thanks so much. Judy[/quote

I've been on the Summit many many many times(last time was May 2016, next time will be this coming September), and while things change depending on who is in charge of the MDR, the "no shorts" dress code is relaxed for the first night for both traditional and late seating. They understand that many run the risk of not getting their luggage delivered on time to change into long pants so yes, if the temps are hot and you happen to be wearing shorts to dinner on your first night this coming Friday, you won't get turned away. Can't vouch for any other night though.

Can confirm. Many had shorts on the first dinner (myself included) as luggage did not arrive until after dinner. Dress is very casual. On the first evening chic night, I saw women wearing t-shirts and capris in the Cosmopolitan and nobody stopped them.

I wonder if they will be running this shuttle on Sunday, when we arrive in Boston?

Today's dailies. We opted to take the Celebrity shuttle round trip to Quincy Market for $15. Uber would be cheaper but it is an extra $10 for a car seat each way so this worked out best for us. We will be meeting up with friends today. Captain Kate announced that we docked aft-first today for the purpose of allowing the rooftop terrace and aft of the ship the best chance of seeing the fireworks. It is a beautiful clear day.

dc574f5d0f201a98cc6d7703a6527447.jpg43d0c302c32245b75592fe399c7d23c6.jpg09e5f724f91ece3db8fb4789b50ccf42.jpg5f27e585ba4077996a489ba6d285ffbb.jpg

They are very forgiving the first night, especially if you are dining early. After the first night, shorts at dinner in the MDR are not permitted. Will you get away with it? Maybe. I don't recall seeing grown-ups wearing shorts to dinner.

They are very forgiving the first night, especially if you are dining early. After the first night, shorts at dinner in the MDR are not permitted. Will you get away with it? Maybe. I don't recall seeing grown-ups wearing shorts to dinner.

Yes. You can wear shorts to the buffet only

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

We are on Summit now. Tendering in Newport is a nightmare - the ship pulled in at 7:45, they have called tender ticket 6. It's now 10:30. Celebrity blames this on sailboat traffic in the harbor, but other than that have provided little communication. Celebrity has really dropped the ball today - I expect better.

Dinner last night was ok, same old ho-hum dinner.

Cream of broccoli soup and crab cake were good, not great. Crab cake was cold. DD's mac and cheese was not good. My steak for dinner was excellent. Believe it or not, it was better than the ribeye in Tuscan (don't want to revisit that discussion). The short ribs were good. Dessert was not good. The Grand Marnier soufflé was tasteless to me and the apple tort was not as advertised. My wife said it "tasted like medicine."

5b6ed587f9c9c73e2b7f49728e44aba7.jpg4003d48ecd504d67b9656cfffc01fed6.jpgf96da71561914b738ee1fabf88415e04.jpg5e36041e6e14ebc5cfce8b35a453e77e.jpgda3b96ee451843850d79e6ccc1ef48ca.jpg5b3ca068636053f4a4b83d3f8b6d1f32.jpg

The apple tort.

002c05eabc5e7556f6ec01338850cdcf.jpg

Last night's sunset.

bcff1d1340c5414378189b759f308a61.jpg

Right now we are still waiting to get to Newport! Apparently sailboat traffic is so bad that celebrity cannot get its tenders through. It's almost 11 and only 8 groups of passengers have been called to tender. We are group 21, doesn't look good!

Right now we are still waiting to get to Newport! Apparently sailboat traffic is so bad that celebrity cannot get its tenders through. It's almost 11 and only 8 groups of passengers have been called to tender. We are group 21, doesn't look good!

I am so sorry to hear this. What time do you depart Newport?

We are scheduled for 7 am - 3 pm on Saturday. I would assume sailboat traffic would be even worse on a weekend(?). If we don't get off the ship by 11, won't make any sense to even go ashore. Very disappointing.

I am so sorry to hear this. What time do you depart Newport?

We are scheduled for 7 am - 3 pm on Saturday. I would assume sailboat traffic would be even worse on a weekend(?). If we don't get off the ship by 11, won't make any sense to even go ashore. Very disappointing.

We depart at 5, meaning last tenders back are 4pm. They just called group 20, so we are next. Hopefully we get there by 12:15 or so and then have a few hours.

We depart at 5, meaning last tenders back are 4pm. They just called group 20, so we are next. Hopefully we get there by 12:15 or so and then have a few hours.

Glad to hear they have made progress.

I still don't know the reason we have to leave Newport, RI at 3 pm. I am sure it has something to do with the harbor and pilot and not Celebrity. Since I know it will not take 20 1/2 hours to get from Newport, RI to Boston, MA where we are scheduled to dock at 10:30 am the next morning.

Have fun in Newport.