LIVE from the Celebrity Summit: 6/27/17 Independence Day Canada & New England Cruise

doggfan7

Glad to hear they have made progress.

I still don't know the reason we have to leave Newport, RI at 3 pm. I am sure it has something to do with the harbor and pilot and not Celebrity. Since I know it will not take 20 1/2 hours to get from Newport, RI to Boston, MA where we are scheduled to dock at 10:30 am the next morning.

Have fun in Newport.

We are on the tender now, we should step foot on land around 12:35.

Not sure why you have to leave at 3 either. It sure doesn't take that long to get from Boston to Newport. We left Boston at 1 yesterday and we were going very slow and we were still past Cape cod at dinner time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I work in Newport and saw the ship in the harbor as I crossed over the Newport Bridge. I didn't see much in the way of sailboat traffic then but it was fairly early. Lack of tender boats is probably the cause as you said. And yes, there will be lots more sailboat traffic this weekend. It always makes me happy this time of year when I see cruise ships in the harbor on my way to work. I am interested to hear what you were able to see and do in your limited amount of time.

I work in Newport and saw the ship in the harbor as I crossed over the Newport Bridge. I didn't see much in the way of sailboat traffic then but it was fairly early. Lack of tender boats is probably the cause as you said. And yes, there will be lots more sailboat traffic this weekend. It always makes me happy this time of year when I see cruise ships in the harbor on my way to work. I am interested to hear what you were able to see and do in your limited amount of time.

Newport is beautiful. We were able to grab the 67 trolley for $2 a person each way to The Breakers and enjoyed a lovely 90 minutes there. It is something else. We are now at the bus stop at the breakers waiting for the bus to take us back to the harbor. I'm shuttering at the thought of the lines for the tenders right now. We'll see!

Where were you able to grab the trolley? Thanks.

The visitors center right next to Perrotti Park where the tender drops you off. On the way back it actually stops right at the Park. Very convenient and cheap way to get to the mansions. I called it a trolley but it is actually a bus that is designed to look like a trolley on the outside. I mention this so as not to confuse you with the actual trolleys which you will see which are private tours.

We are on Summit now. Tendering in Newport is a nightmare - the ship pulled in at 7:45, they have called tender ticket 6. It's now 10:30. Celebrity blames this on sailboat traffic in the harbor, but other than that have provided little communication. Celebrity has really dropped the ball today - I expect better.

Can run later than that in some ports. ( Gr Cayman for one) esp for folks without Celebrity excursions..new tenders for Edge are suppised to be big upgrade..but for now.sorry for the delays..glad you had a nice visit to Breakers

The truth comes out - there are only 4 tenders running with no local boats helping. The sailboat traffic thing is bogus.

Completely agree. There was no unusual sailboat traffic at all when we tendered in and out. They were just unprepared and/or lazy today and that unfortunately cut our day in half.

Let's see if there is a difference on Saturday when they are back.

Completely agree. There was no unusual sailboat traffic at all when we tendered in and out. They were just unprepared and/or lazy today and that unfortunately cut our day in half.

Let's see if there is a difference on Saturday when they are back.

UPDATE

I just spoke with a crew member who confirmed 100% to me that the sailboat traffic was a complete lie made up by Celebrity to hide the fact that one or more of their tender ships broke down. I don't know why they would do this when everyone who took a tender boat saw that there was not a high level of sailboat traffic.

UPDATE

I just spoke with a crew member who confirmed 100% to me that the sailboat traffic was a complete lie made up by Celebrity to hide the fact that one or more of their tender ships broke down. I don't know why they would do this when everyone who took a tender boat saw that there was not a high level of sailboat traffic.

Celebrity has been known to lie from time to time. On my Baltic cruise, it was announced that the port of Stockholm was closed and we would have to go to a tender port south of Stockholm. And pay for transport to Stockholm. Those who did go found free buses to Stockholm and, upon arrival in Stockholm, saw the Celebrity Constellation berthed there. So, caught! The sail in to Stockholm is one of the highlights of the cruise. Upon my return, I sent a letter through my TA and her rep to Celebrity saying that I knew plans could change but that I really hated being lied to! I received a nice credit to be used on my next cruise. Generally it's cheaper just to tell the truth.

We are finally home! Disembarkation took longer than expected due to what appeared to be from my perspective not enough customs officers. It was well organized however and breakfast in the Cosmopolitan was good.

Safe travels to everyone boarding today in the miserable, driving rain. Captain Kate stays on for the next cruise but will not be the Captain. She stays on to transition Captain Alex, so it's more of a vacation for her. Maybe you'll see her around the pool deck!

Overall, I don't think I will sail any M-Class ships again. It is funny to me how so many people post about not wanting to see them replaced. You see it in almost every industry, people get comfortable and don't want to see anything upgraded or replaced, despite how out of style or condition it might be. Things can't last forever and Celebrity needs to attract a younger demographic. Also, you cannot have a slogan "Modern Luxury" when nothing on the ship says "Modern." Just my two cents.

I found the food very inconsistent, especially towards the end of the cruise. Tuscan Grill stinks and needs to be replaced completely. Qsine is wonderful. The poor upkeep and maintenance of the ship and cabin were very surprising to us for a "premium" line. The service was excellent, however. Great cabin steward (George) and other than a few nights in the Cosmopolitan, the wait staff was superb (especially in Qsine and Tuscan (even though the food stunk)).

Happy to answer any questions.

We are finally home! Disembarkation took longer than expected due to what appeared to be from my perspective not enough customs officers. It was well organized however and breakfast in the Cosmopolitan was good.

Safe travels to everyone boarding today in the miserable, driving rain. Captain Kate stays on for the next cruise but will not be the Captain. She stays on to transition Captain Alex, so it's more of a vacation for her. Maybe you'll see her around the pool deck!

Overall, I don't think I will sail any M-Class ships again. It is funny to me how so many people post about not wanting to see them replaced. You see it in almost every industry, people get comfortable and don't want to see anything upgraded or replaced, despite how out of style or condition it might be. Things can't last forever and Celebrity needs to attract a younger demographic. Also, you cannot have a slogan "Modern Luxury" when nothing on the ship says "Modern." Just my two cents.

I found the food very inconsistent, especially towards the end of the cruise. Tuscan Grill stinks and needs to be replaced completely. Qsine is wonderful. The poor upkeep and maintenance of the ship and cabin were very surprising to us for a "premium" line. The service was excellent, however. Great cabin steward (George) and other than a few nights in the Cosmopolitan, the wait staff was superb (especially in Qsine and Tuscan (even though the food stunk)).

Thankx for your Live report. I believe your opinion is spot on. I felt similar after our last Summit cruise when nothing improved but actually deteriorated from our previous Summit sailing. There were rumors recently that Celebrity would be selling off one or two of their M Class ships once the Edge was released. I suspect the Summit is a good candidate for that.

Happy Sails.

We cruise on the Summit every year. Could not disagree more with your assessment. Looking forward to the 14 day NE/Canada cruise in Sep. Also, I take exception to your "needs to attract a younger demographic" comment. I assure you that even though I am probably quite a bit older than you, I most certainly still know what is good, what is not and I am certainly not ready to be forgotten as a patron. Some of us older folks have quite a bit of discretionary funds available to spend on cruises etc.

Thanks for posting your review. I am glad you seem to have enjoyed your trip.

Thank you for this very helpful review. I will be on the Summit October 8 for the New England/Canada cruise, so I appreciate your sharing your experiences in some of the ports we will be going to.

Carolyn

We are sailing on The Summit in September ( our first on Summit) and will also be doing the Canada/NE cruise, so really found all your post relative and informative, thank you. After reading, I am concerned about the condition of the ship and quality of food...but because we are going with great friends and a wonderful itinerary we can overlook the down sides. (At least hoping.🙄😀)

Again, thank you for your post, pics and most of all taking the time to share!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was just on the Summit in April and didn't find her shabby or run down. Never ate in the MDR, although we ordered off the MDR menu several nights and I found the food to be good. I agree with your opinion of Tuscan, I am so done with that place. Found the crew, from Captain Kate on down, to be one of the best I've ever encountered. I'll be back on her for the October Canada/New England cruise. I had never been on the Summit previously, although I've spent a lot of time on her sister ships.

Thanks for your review. A point of clarification-Captain Kate did not stay onboard to transition to Captain Alex...she flew home Friday. I am onboard now and have absolutely no issues with any part of the cruise.