Uniworld Gems of Northern Italy June 23-July 2

papa B me

SOS

Thanks for taking the time to read my "book". I love writing them and occasionally I'll go back and read them and enjoy reliving the experiences.

I've been reading your France review. I'm seriously thinking about doing the Uniworld trip that does both the Northern and Southern route all in one trip with the ship change in the middle. This would be for 2020 as this year and next year are booked with Ocean Cruises. So you may find me asking questions again early next year when they release their itineraries for 2020.

A belated thank you again to you for your help when I was planning the Venice trip. We really enjoyed it. Headed to Rome in August for 3 days before taking a train to Venice to embark on an Ocean Cruise with Silversea. Can't wait to write another "book"

Brian

SOS

Thanks for taking the time to read my "book". I love writing them and occasionally I'll go back and read them and enjoy reliving the experiences.

I've been reading your France review. I'm seriously thinking about doing the Uniworld trip that does both the Northern and Southern route all in one trip with the ship change in the middle. This would be for 2020 as this year and next year are booked with Ocean Cruises. So you may find me asking questions again early next year when they release their itineraries for 2020.

A belated thank you again to you for your help when I was planning the Venice trip. We really enjoyed it. Headed to Rome in August for 3 days before taking a train to Venice to embark on an Ocean Cruise with Silversea. Can't wait to write another "book"

Brian

By the way, watch the 1955 David Lean film SUMMERTIME with Katherine Hepburn if you want to re-live the trip. The scenery of Venice is stunning in the movie!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
Thank you for your review of the trip Brian. My husband and I are going Oct 11th. I was also debating the Bologna - Ferrera day. We did Paris with Uniworld last year on the new ship and it was wonderful,

Dana

Have a wonderful trip. We were just in Venice for a day for the last day of a cruise to Croatia and Montenegro and it brought back some wonderful memories from this trip. We were docked right behind the River Countess and I wished we could have just walked on the ship and made ourselves at home. Let us know how your trip goes.

Brian

Have a wonderful trip. We were just in Venice for a day for the last day of a cruise to Croatia and Montenegro and it brought back some wonderful memories from this trip. We were docked right behind the River Countess and I wished we could have just walked on the ship and made ourselves at home. Let us know how your trip goes.

Brian

Brian, at the market in Chioggia were you able to use credit cards or was only euros accepted. I leave in 10 days and am still debating on how many euros I will take. Can I use cc in Milan restaurants.

Linda

Brian, at the market in Chioggia were you able to use credit cards or was only euros accepted. I leave in 10 days and am still debating on how many euros I will take. Can I use cc in Milan restaurants.

Linda

Linda, we used Euros the whole time but I believe many of the vendors did take credit cards. Also it is located on the main street through the center of Chioggia so I'm sure there are ATM's available close by if needed. I would say almost all the restaurants in Milan take credit cards unless possibly the small mom and pop local restaurant but don't think you will have any issues there. Have a great trip!!

Linda, we used Euros the whole time but I believe many of the vendors did take credit cards. Also it is located on the main street through the center of Chioggia so I'm sure there are ATM's available close by if needed. I would say almost all the restaurants in Milan take credit cards unless possibly the small mom and pop local restaurant but don't think you will have any issues there. Have a great trip!!

Thank you and thank you for your great trip report. It has enabled me to decide exactly what I want to do. I'm going in a day early as I have had a couple of flights like you in the past. It is reported that the Po is in good shape as they have had rain so am hoping to dock in Polesella. If not I will just do Ferrara. Bologna would just be too long of a bus ride. Again thank you.

Linda

Thank you and thank you for your great trip report. It has enabled me to decide exactly what I want to do. I'm going in a day early as I have had a couple of flights like you in the past. It is reported that the Po is in good shape as they have had rain so am hoping to dock in Polesella. If not I will just do Ferrara. Bologna would just be too long of a bus ride. Again thank you.

Linda

You're very welcome! Let us know how your trip goes!

Brian

• 7 months later...

I thought I would bump my day to day from two years ago for Lois and others who are considering this cruise from reading the current blog posted.  I don't think the trip has changed a great deal over the past two years.  I just reread it and once again it reminded me of the great time we had.  Hope it helps.

• Like 2

If you read this review you know I mentioned I'm not a photographer and am technologically challenged so didn't post any pictures.  Fortunately CC created ways to post pictures that even someone like me can do it.  However, I'm still not much of a photographer.  But I looked back and found some pictures from our trip and thought I would post them for those researching this trip.  This first series is from our walking tour in Milan:

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

For me the highlight of the Milan portion was the viewing of "The Last Supper". It really was a goosebump moment as a person of Faith.  But even those who are said they wern't people of Faith found it to be a moving experience.

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

• Like 1

Here are a few shots from Verona starting with Juliet's balcony and a few of the walking tour.  Weather was really rainy the day we were there but still a lot in the courtyard of Juliet's balcony.  Watch for pick pockets!!

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

The walking tour in Verona started at one end of the Pedestrian where the bus dropped you off then ended at the other end with the Colliseum and a beautiful bridge across the river where the bus had moved to.  On our trip there was little time left at the end of the tour to explore.  So knowing what I know now I would skip Juliet's balcony and the walking tour and go straight to the other end on the bus to explore.  Don't know if they are still doing it this way or not.  I gave my feedback on ship.

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Dante's family winery was really beautiful and a great way to break up the trip from Milan to Venice.  Unless something has changed keep in mind that the wine tasting isn't a wine tasting but full glasses with refills available with each course.  It was one happy bus for the last leg of the trip to Venice.

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

Venice is one of our favorite places so far as far as views and walking around.  This trip is fantastic for that.  I'm just going to post a series of pictures from our walking tour, doges palace, St Mark's square etc..

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

Both the St Marks Basilica and the Rialto market tour included a water taxi ride.  To me this was an excursion in and of itself.  I enjoyed it so much that when we arrived by train last August for a Silversea cruise I hired a private water taxi and guide to pick us up at the train station and take us to the cruise terminal.  Was a great way to arrive albeit a little costly.

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

• Like 1

For some reason I didn't take many pictures of the ship itself(not sure why) but here is just one of our suite that at least give you a feel of decor.  I mentioned in my day to day review that the River Countess is a little more subdued then the other Uniworld ships we've been on although the over the top decor is fine with us as it is fun and fits the trip(although we wouldn't decorate our home like this)

IMG_0195.JPG