Uniworld Gems of Northern Italy June 23-July 2

papa B me

great read especially because we are on the july 12 cruise. silly question did you notice if they have decaf tea (not herbal ) like lipton decaf or other? you did save me packing a jacket for dining. thnaks

great read especially because we are on the july 12 cruise. silly question did you notice if they have decaf tea (not herbal ) like lipton decaf or other? you did save me packing a jacket for dining. thnaks

Not a silly question at all. I know they did have decaf tea in the suite. So I'm assuming they do elsewhere on the ship. Make sure if you don't see it that you just ask and I'm sure they will provide it. You will definitely be fine without the jacket. I went back and forth whether to take one or not and so glad I didn't. Have a great trip.

Loved reading your review! So insightful. We are doing this trip next year and are wondering if you noticed any difference in the port vrs starboard views from the ship especially while docked?

Loved reading your review! So insightful. We are doing this trip next year and are wondering if you noticed any difference in the port vrs starboard views from the ship especially while docked?

We were in suite 409 on the port side. It worked out about 50/50 as far a views. You dock in two different place in Venice. When you are docked in the heart of Venice you have views of either Venice itself or of the Island across from Venice which is also beautiful at night. From my understanding it can vary which direction they dock there.

When we were docked at the end of the week in the cruise port the Port side was facing the terminal so no a nice view and the starboard was facing the lagoon and island. HOWEVER, for much of the last few days docked there was a ship from CrosiEurope rafted with us so the starboard side was looking at the ship next to us.

So bottom line not really a good way to decide if one is better then another. You do spend most of your time on the top deck when sailing and the views from either the sun deck or the lounge and restaurant are much better then either side of the ship.

Hope this helps.

Brian

We did the same trip in May, and there's really no reason to bring a swim suit. No pool on the ship, and I don't think the hotel in Milan had a pool. I guess if you wanted to get a tan and lay out in your swim suit on the top deck while cruising the lagoon and drinking belinis you could.

We took bathing suits but found we had no need for them. As BeesKate said there is no pool and the hotel in Milan and no pool or hot tub on the Countess. My wife did lay out some in the sun but just in shorts and tank top. I never saw anyone in a bathing suit on the sun deck. Have a great trip

Closing Thoughts:

As many have noted on prior threads regarding this trip it isn't a traditional river cruise or a river cruise at all. It is a Lagoon cruise which allows you to experience Venice and its surrounding islands in a very convenient and special way. It is a much less intense experience then a traditional river cruise. I just found it ran at a slower pace.

Two of the couples that we befriended had never been on a river cruise before and I encourage them if they enjoyed this experience to move to a river cruise.

This is NOT my favorite trip. It is something I'm really glad we did and I enjoyed it completely. On a river cruise I felt every day was a new adventure. This to me had a sameness to each day. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I did find it a great way to absorb the culture of Northern Italy. I would much prefer this to spending a night or two and packing up and going to each of these places. It was truly a stress free way to experience this area of Italy.

Comparing this trip to my other Uniworld trips I often said to our new friends that take this trip and increase the experience by 30% in a positive way and that is the difference I feel comparing the newer/larger ships. But again if it was my first trip it would have been outstanding.

There is always a great debate when comparing Uniworld to Tauck, Scenic, Crystal, etc.. as to Uniworld being all inclusive. This is primarily to the fact that they offer a few extra excursion at a cost. PLEASE let's not reopen that debate on this thread. However, I just wanted to mention that all that you have read above was included. We got off the ship with a $0 balance(actually a very small OBC amount still left from Amex). You don't provide a credit card at check in. More then one passenger who had sailed lines other then the ones mentioned above, commented on how they loved never signing for anything and how they felt food, service, excursion, and especially alcohol was far superior to the lines they had sailed with.

So I now close this book I've written and would be happy to answer any questions regarding this cruise, Uniworld, or the other trips we have taken with them. Thanks for following along and I hope you found this helpful if you are considering this trip.

Happy Travels!

Brian

Brian, thanks so much for the details of this cruise...My wife, my sister and mother are doing this same cruise in mid August. This really helps. Can you tell me what the different brands of beer there are available on board? Italian only? and IPA types?

Brian, thanks so much for the details of this cruise...My wife, my sister and mother are doing this same cruise in mid August. This really helps. Can you tell me what the different brands of beer there are available on board? Italian only? and IPA types?

All of the beers were local in nature. The list provided us the screen shot on your thread specifically asking the question does look accurate. There were no IPA's. From what I can tell IPA's aren't nearly as popular as they are here in the states. I didn't ask for anything in addition to what the Butler was providing.

• 9 months later...

papa B me

I have appreciated reading yours and other peoples reviews of this cruise. We are debating it for next year but would probably only do the Venice portion - we have been to Milan before - but if the timing works we may also do the Milan portion. My question to you is about the transportation before and after the cruise. I know you mentioned in your review that the luggage went ahead of you from Milan and was on the ship when you got there. After you got off the bus from Milan - how did you get to the ship? How did you travel at the end of the cruise? Did you have to handle your own luggage going to the airport? Did you take water taxis to the airport? I am a huge over packer and tend to take more luggage than I need - especially to take items home. The idea of handling my luggage up and down bridges - in and out of boats,etc makes me a bit nervous. As you can probably tell I've not been to Venice before so I may be asking questions that seem silly but trying to get an understanding before booking. Thanks for your help in advance - I'm sure there are other people that can give me insight in the travel arrangements also.

papa B me

I have appreciated reading yours and other peoples reviews of this cruise. We are debating it for next year but would probably only do the Venice portion - we have been to Milan before - but if the timing works we may also do the Milan portion. My question to you is about the transportation before and after the cruise. I know you mentioned in your review that the luggage went ahead of you from Milan and was on the ship when you got there. After you got off the bus from Milan - how did you get to the ship? How did you travel at the end of the cruise? Did you have to handle your own luggage going to the airport? Did you take water taxis to the airport? I am a huge over packer and tend to take more luggage than I need - especially to take items home. The idea of handling my luggage up and down bridges - in and out of boats,etc makes me a bit nervous. As you can probably tell I've not been to Venice before so I may be asking questions that seem silly but trying to get an understanding before booking. Thanks for your help in advance - I'm sure there are other people that can give me insight in the travel arrangements also.

We did the cruise only. You will be transported by van or motor coach. There is access near where the ship will be parked for vehicle access. My advice about packing.....watch the weather forecast, and when you have everything out you plan to take, but half of it back:-) The River Countess also has guest laundry onboard, so you can wash a few things yourself, if needed.

We did stay in Venice prior to the start of our cruise, but only had to tackle one bridge. But, the vaporetto ride to the port with luggage was an adventure.

Robin

I don't believe you will have any issues with transfers. At the airport in Milan they meet you right outside of customs and depending upon how many arrivals that will put you on a shuttle/van. It is right out side the door of the luggage area. There is one or two Uniworld employees there to help if needed.

Upon arrival at the hotel Uniworld had people taking the luggage directly to your room while we were checking in. Arrived about the same time.

As you noted they shipped th luggage to Venice ahead of us while we went to the winery for lunch(wonderful)

So your luggage is at the ship when you arrive. Upon departure the bus comes right to the ship and loads luggage for the transfer to the airport. The only time you are handling your luggage is from where the bus parks to the terminal. Not too bad.

Like you we don't travel light. We each have 1 large suitcase and 1 roller bag carry on EACH plus I usually have a back pack loaded with all the most breakable items.

I would highly encourage you to take the pre Milan part of the trip. It was really nice and we met a number or people during those first couple of days that we ended up hanging out with and eating with the whole trip. We didn't do Rome/Florence. Actually doing Rome pre trip for 3 days in August before taking a train to Venice to get on a ship for Croatia and Montenegro.

Great trip with Uniworld. Go for it.

Thanks for both of your replies. I didn't realize the ship would be docked close to bus access so that makes better sense. I am tempted to do the Milan part - my husband not so much. Ha! We have been to Rome and Florence several times so that is not a temptation to add on. Again - thanks for both of your replies.

papa B me

In Milan, the your luggage is taken from your room and put on the bus that goes to Venice. The bus will drop off passengers about 100 yards from the cruise ship. You do carry your luggage to the ship, but it is taken from you there and taken to your cabin. There are no water taxis involved. After the cruise ends, the reverse happens. Your luggage is taken to the bus. You walk to the bus and go to the airport.

We did this trip last year but skipped the Milan portion so started right in Venice. We came in a day early & hired a water taxi to take us from the airport to our hotel (on the Grand Canal) then the next day the concierge at our hotel arranged for a another water taxi to take us to the River Countess-very easy & hardly had to touch our bags. On our last day Uniworld loaded our bags on to the bus & we only had to wheel them into the airport terminal & drop them off. Couldn't be easier.

Going on the Milan-Venice Uniworld cruise later this year....Had a few questions....

1. Arriving a day early to take in some extra Milan sites...Want to purchase tickets for the Duomo terrace/rooftop...are they the same?

Do they sell them online by time slots or just by the day that you want to visit?

2.In Venice..is the art tour ..or the "walk" recommended?

thanks...

Rick

Have a wonderful time! We were able to purchase the tickets for the Duomo terrace (rooftop) from the Uniworld concierge desk at the hotel. That way we bypassed the line for tickets at the Duomo, but still had to wait and stand in line for about 30 minutes to take the elevator to the rooftop. It was well worth the wait! The views from the rooftop are phenomenal, especially on a clear day! I also loved seeing all the statues and gargoyles from that perspective.

I highly recommend the walk in Venice. It is an amazing place, and the guides we had were wonderful. When we took the cruise, the art tour was offered at a different time, but we did not take that tour, so I can't comment on it either way. Again, have a great time. We loved this trip so much we took it twice (with a few different excursions). I really loved our time both in Milan and Venice, and enjoyed having some extra time in Venice to explore on our own.

Going on the Milan-Venice Uniworld cruise later this year....Had a few questions....

1. Arriving a day early to take in some extra Milan sites...Want to purchase tickets for the Duomo terrace/rooftop...are they the same?

Do they sell them online by time slots or just by the day that you want to visit?

2.In Venice..is the art tour ..or the "walk" recommended?

thanks...

Rick

Rick,

I would also recommend buying them from the Uniworld Concierge when you arrive. I didn't. I ordered them on line. I can't remember whether it was by the time or just the day. But our plane was delayed for Mechanical difficulties and we arrived too late to use the tickets I had purchased. That is the second time I've had that happened where travel delays forced me to miss an event I purchased in advance for the day of arrival. Re-thinking my plans to buy in advance unless it is for the second day or later.

I didn't take the art tour. It is both a good thing and a bad thing that Uniworld offers so many different tours. I often find myself having to choose between two good tours.

Have a great time!

Brian

thanks for the info...after rethinking the fact we are arriving a day early...think I would like to take a day trip to Lake Como area...Has anyone done that? thoughts?

thanks...

Rick,

I like your idea. I felt the time in Milan on the Uniworld precruise with their excursions was a good overview of Milan and you do get the highlights. I think there is time to do the Duomo rooftop the day the precruise starts. So going in a day early I think the Lake Como area would be great. Just a quick look shows it about 2 and half hour train ride from Milan. Can't wait to read your review if you do that.

Brian

Hi, actually found some companies that pick you up at your hotel around 8:30 am...bus to Lake Como area with guide...and return later that day around 5:30pm..reasonably price around $120...wonder if anyone had tried any particular tour company for this trip?

thanks..

Rick

Hi, actually found some companies that pick you up at your hotel around 8:30 am...bus to Lake Como area with guide...and return later that day around 5:30pm..reasonably price around $120...wonder if anyone had tried any particular tour company for this trip?

thanks..

Rick

I would check on Trip Advisor.

Papa, sorry for the late entry, but I just read your day by day Veneto “book” which I enjoyed. I remember you were reading mine and asking questions a few years ago, and now you’re an expert on the trip! Thanks for bringing back good memories. One does become an “aficionado” of Venice after being docked in several areas of the Lagoon during the week you are there..