Uniworld Gems of Northern Italy June 23-July 2

papa B me

5 minutes ago, jeter55 said:

Lois,

Yay your booked ! 

Brian,

The photos are a great addition to your wonderful book.

Anne

Thanks Anne!  CC really made it easy so I really enjoy on my most recent trips to add pictures with the live or close to live commentary.  I had to reread my own book to try and remember as much as I could about the pictures.  It really brings the memories alive to have the pictures.  So many little details I didn't discuss in the review but I think about as I see the pictures.  You're going to have a great trip.

Brian

Well this concludes my photo tour 2 years later - LOL.  I do hope the review and pictures are helpful to those planning their trip or thinking about this trip.  I really do highly recommend this trip if you have an interest in Venice and the surrounding islands.  It really is quite unique.  I've had fun off an on today  going back through my day to day review and pulling up and posting the pictures.  But I guess I better get back to work so I can keep planning these types of trips.  Happy to answer any questions that might come up.  Safe travels

Brian

Edited by papa B me
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Glad to see these pictures popping up! Thanks for this nice addition!

Thanks JP!  The itinerary of this trip and the pace of the excursions really make this an easy trip to combine all that Uniworld offers with being able to get out on your own and wander.  So based on your reviews it probably will be a good fit for you guys.  I highly encourage you to consider the Milan portion as well as Uniworld did a really nice job with this and there really is a lot to see and do

On another note, we had our first Silversea cruise last August and I feel confident we will sail with them again.  Next up is trying Azamara next year for an Iberian port intensive cruise.  No more big trips for the rest of this year as we have two more grandbabies due this year(will make 6).  Your trip reports are what inspired me to do them when we cruise. 

Thanks for taking a fresh look at this old thread.

Brian

Brian, I too have enjoyed reliving my Venice cruise, taken in 2013, through your pictures. They brought back great memories.

Fortunately, we just completed a cruise on Viking from Athens to Venice, and stayed 2 nights in Venice, on our own. One of my all-time favorite cities! The fish market was right across the canal from our hotel, so of course we had to visit!

With regard to Viking Ocean, we found them to be solid, and had no complaints, but there was nothing extraordinary about the experience. We are trying Crystal next year, Barcelona to Rome, with a stop in Monaco during the Grand Prix, and a stop in Malta. I've also learned my husband can arrange for golf outings, he will be thrilled.

Robin

IMG_2438.jpg

• Like 2

Robin,

I've wondered about the Viking cruises but they haven't made it to the top of my list.  I'm anxious to experience Azamara.  I'm not a golfer but they host Perry Golf cruises.  The one we have booked is a Perry Golf cruise.  Might be something for you guys to take a look at.

Brian

9 minutes ago, papa B me said:

Robin,

I've wondered about the Viking cruises but they haven't made it to the top of my list.  I'm anxious to experience Azamara.  I'm not a golfer but they host Perry Golf cruises.  The one we have booked is a Perry Golf cruise.  Might be something for you guys to take a look at.

Brian

I have looked at the Perry Golf cruises, and it seems to be an all-or-none deal, and costs quite a bit. He really doesn't want to play as much as they offer, so the concept, and price aren't appealing for us. With Crystal, there are golf nets onboard and a golf pro on every cruise, and they can set up as few, or as many, rounds as we like. I'm interested to hear about Azamara. I also looked at Silversea before we booked this Crystal cruise. We might have to try them all:-)

Robin

Hey Brian, LOVING the photos:classic_biggrin:...yes, I now officially have my deposit down!  I decided to save myself some more $ and book a window.  I was going to book a French Balcony but when I saw the price difference? The window will be just fine:classic_biggrin:....it is almost 2500.00 difference! I remember from my river cruise back in 2016 I had a window and it was more than acceptable. I was never in the cabin during the day:classic_smile: And they are waiving the Single Supplement as well!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeter55 said:

Lois,

Yay your booked ! 

Brian,

The photos are a great addition to your wonderful book.

Anne

Hi Anne, yes, booked. Called and put down the deposit.:classic_smile:..… I will be waiting for you to come back with details!!!

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey Brian, LOVING the photos:classic_biggrin:...yes, I now officially have my deposit down!  I decided to save myself some more $ and book a window.  I was going to book a French Balcony but when I saw the price difference? The window will be just fine:classic_biggrin:....it is almost 2500.00 difference! I remember from my river cruise back in 2016 I had a window and it was more than acceptable. I was never in the cabin during the day:classic_smile: And they are waiving the Single Supplement as well!

Lois,

On the River Countess, there are 2 window classes. One, the standard "aquarium class" with the windows up high. The next category is the picture window-a much bigger window. The Countess is more of a "split level" ship. The one downside to its plan is the restaurant is at the rear, over the motors, which made it a little loud at meal time. 

You're in for a treat!

Robin

3 hours ago, acwmom said:

Lois,

On the River Countess, there are 2 window classes. One, the standard "aquarium class" with the windows up high. The next category is the picture window-a much bigger window. The Countess is more of a "split level" ship. The one downside to its plan is the restaurant is at the rear, over the motors, which made it a little loud at meal time. 

You're in for a treat!

Robin

Hi Robin😁I am very much looking forward to it

Question for you.....where did you stay in Venice?

50 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Robin😁I am very much looking forward to it

Question for you.....where did you stay in Venice?

We stayed at the Al Ponte Antico. I may have posted a pic, so apologies if the attached are duplicates. It only has 9 rooms. The family who runs it ran the hotel we stayed at 5 yr ago. However, the owner of that property didn't renew their lease after 19 yr. They were heartbroken. If you want "wow" this is the place to stay! The location can't be beat. I'm sure I'm in a lot of pics from Grand Canal "cruisers" The manager's wife makes homemade pastries each morning, and they fix crepes and eggs on site, made to order. Here's a few views from the hotel's terrace, exclusively for guests, and a couple of breakfast

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey LoisR,

You are going to love this trip!  Venice is one of my favorite cities-so much so that we almost did this cruise again this July (took it in 2017).  If you're looking for a hotel we have stayed at both the Bauer Palazzo & the Luna Baglioni-both top notch hotels in great locations near St Marks Square.  Enjoy your trip!!

2 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

Hey LoisR,

You are going to love this trip!  Venice is one of my favorite cities-so much so that we almost did this cruise again this July (took it in 2017).  If you're looking for a hotel we have stayed at both the Bauer Palazzo & the Luna Baglioni-both top notch hotels in great locations near St Marks Square.  Enjoy your trip!!

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I stayed at the Bauer last summer. I will look at the Luna this time or may go back to the Bauer.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:38 AM, eyeu said:

Going on the Milan-Venice Uniworld cruise later this year....Had a few questions....

1. Arriving a day early to take in some extra Milan sites...Want to purchase tickets for the Duomo terrace/rooftop...are they the same?

Do they sell them online by time slots or just by the day that you want to visit?

2.In Venice..is the art tour ..or the "walk" recommended?

thanks...

Rick

The Uniworld rep will sell you the rooftop tickets to go on your own, but I'd recommend going as part of the Uniworld group so you will have a guide who will explain what you're seeing. Afterwards as part of the tour we went to a restaurant for wine and antipasto that was so filling we didn't need dinner. Uniworld does it right. We didn't do the art tour.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Robin.......thanks...…..They have a 2 night minimum......I will look around:classic_smile:

Well, maybe you should go 2 nights early:classic_biggrin:  When are you going? I wonder if there is some special event in town.....

Robin

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Well, maybe you should go 2 nights early:classic_biggrin:  When are you going? I wonder if there is some special event in town.....

Robin

Hi, I don't know but I can't go 2 days early

But I am glad I can arrive a day ahead😁

We enjoyed this  cruise in August 2017 that we are doing it all over again this August (2019).  I used this cruise review to help me plan and prepare, and am glad it is still alive and well two years later!  It was spot on...I will add a couple things we learned from our first experience in a separate post.  But can attest to the accuracy of Brian's review!

Doug

• Like 1

Just a few notes from our Gems of Italy Trip in August of 2017 as we prepare for our repeat trip this coming August:

1.        We traveled from Seattle to Amsterdam and then flew from there to Milan.  We made it to Milan, but about 30 of us on that flight arrived without our checked luggage.  We went to the lost luggage area and did not leave there with a warm feeling that our luggage would ever arrive in time for the cruise.  Because that process took so long, we missed one of the Uniworld buses heading to the hotel, but there was a small van ready for us when we emerged from the customer service area.

2.       The Uniworld representatives at the hotel told us not to worry about our bags….that this is a common occurrence….we were not convinced, but they were correct…our bags arrived the next day – about 24 hours later.  My advice here is to be sure and pack a carry on bag with your pre cruise items.  We had done, this, but were still stressed about leaving Milan without our bag…it turned out we should not have been worried.

3.       My recommendation for a great Aperitivo bar in Milan, close to the Rosa Grand Hotel, is the Ravizza on via Ulrico Hoepli 3…about a 5 minute walk from the hotel…we loved it, and think this time we will go there both evenings this time.

4.       We were unable to cruise the PO river as it was too low – but it was not a problem…Chioggia was great and we loved the extra time there.

5.       The River Countess will dock in 2- 3 different spots in Venice.  I recommend that you venture out after dinner, in the dark, and see Venice and its people (without the throng of tourists) in more of their natural environment.  We found a route where we followed a canal and found wonderful little restaurants, locals enjoying the cooler, less crowded streets, and the subdued lighting along the canals made for some wonderful views and memories.

6.       The food on board was the best I have experienced on a cruise ship

7.       The tour guide/story teller they have on board for St Mark’s and other stops is top notch and makes those tours come alive with her style.  I hope she is with us this time as well.

8.       Although this is more of a “float”, than a cruise, this is our #1 cruise to date (and we are up to 30 now)….and this is why we are doing it all again….hoping to do more of what we learned from 2 years ago!

Paul covered this so well with his review here...I just wanted to add a couple things we learned along the way.

Doug

• Like 1