Poll: With prices rising, are cruise drink packages still good value?

Thanks Louise,

For us it depends on the cruise line (X often include it as a perk) and the actual length of the cruise and also who we may be cruising with (friends, etc). We feel we can get value from some of the packages but perhaps do not want to drink that much (every day) for more than two weeks. I suppose it really is an individual decision as to whether it is worth it or not.

I just voted no, I won't get the drink package on my two next cruises. One is another 3 day on Ovation for my daughter and the other is a transpacific 18 nighter despite the many sea days, I just can't justify drinking that much. Nor do I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just voted no, I won't get the drink package on my two next cruises. One is another 3 day on Ovation for my daughter and the other is a transpacific 18 nighter despite the many sea days, I just can't justify drinking that much. Nor do I want to.

Sometimes the liver needs a holiday too. :p

The last few years I bought one if it wasn't included, but after last years 47 days on 5 cruises, I probably won't buy one myself! We did drink too much when drinks are free and the weight gains aren't worth it! So, if it's offered as a freebie fine, but probably would not buy myself and drink less by buying per drink.

I will buy a soda package for my son but unless there is a special price on the drink packages I won't buy one for myself.

I would rather there be the ability to buy a coupon card where you can get 10 alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks for a set price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will buy a soda package for my son but unless there is a special price on the drink packages I won't buy one for myself.

I would rather there be the ability to buy a coupon card where you can get 10 alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks for a set price.

I would definitely buy a drink card at a given price even though I may still pay over and above for drinks. That way, I would not be encouraged to drink to get my money's worth and drink to what I can handle and still enjoy (and remember my cruise) [emoji15]I am a cheap date lol

Generally we like the drinks packages, they work out to be cost effective and also mean there aren't heaps of transactions on our onboard account that need to be checked carefully.

However for our next cruise, on Royal Princess, we are seriously considering not getting a package. The wines available by the glass in the MDR are not good quality, in our opinion. Also on our last Princess cruise we had a very poor assistant waiter and struggled to get more than one glass of wine with dinner. We are hoping that the wine package will be available on this cruise which will allow us to choose better quality wines and still be as cost effective. Also this cruise is, of course, a USD cruise so the drinks package price works out quite expensive in AUD compared with the Aussie cruises drinks package price.

I didn't get a drinks package on my last cruise. Then again I have only been on 1 and that was Disney a few years ago when you could bring booze. My next cruise is on RCCL and I am thinking of getting the Ultimate drinks package. Although I thought it was good for all types of drinks (except Starbucks & anything over $12) and I could easily see myself using that for my coffee addiction (I am from Seattle) a juice with bfast, soda with lunch, and a couple drinks with dinner & maybe a couple in the Pub. But reading reviews makes me think it's only for alcohol, am I missing something?

My husband always buys the drinks package but I'm not a big drinker and may just have a drink in the D or Concierge Lounge of an evening. He definitely gets his money's worth with couple of tomato juices of a morning, coffees and alcoholic beverages, and bottled water.

I used to buy the soda packages but found over the years I no longer like the taste and prefer water.

I didn't get a drinks package on my last cruise. Then again I have only been on 1 and that was Disney a few years ago when you could bring booze. My next cruise is on RCCL and I am thinking of getting the Ultimate drinks package. Although I thought it was good for all types of drinks (except Starbucks & anything over $12) and I could easily see myself using that for my coffee addiction (I am from Seattle) a juice with bfast, soda with lunch, and a couple drinks with dinner & maybe a couple in the Pub. But reading reviews makes me think it's only for alcohol, am I missing something?

They've changed the packages. Now there is only a Deluxe package, which covers everything: "Toast to virtually unlimited options with cocktails, beer, wine, non-alcoholic drinks, premium coffee, tea and bottled water* – plus a 40% discount on bottles of wine under USD 100 and 20% off bottles above USD 100."

and a couple of non-alcohol packages - the Refreshment package and a Soft Drinks only package.

RCL doesn't show the prices on it's website, unfortunately.

I think so, depending on cost.

We each bought the royal refreshment package last time (we don't drink much alcohol) and definitely got our money's worth. But DH hated the coffee (it's made on UHT milk) and that was a big part of him buying it last time. I mainly bought it for the bottled water, fresh juice and frozen mocktails.

I think it's the cruise line you choose & where your going. I don't think it's worth it if you have many ports on a shortish cruise. Not drinking enough to cover it while in port for that day. Also The cruise line. Rccl & Celebrity have very expensive drinks & you can cover the cost of a drinks package; while Carnival & P&O have much cheaper drinks & are not needed. ok i know Carnival doesn't have it. But $8.95 for 555Ml of 5% alchoal Red frog ale is just devine to me. 6 a day. is less then a drinks package with other lines...

Results so far,

Will you buy the drink package on your next cruise?

23%Yes - I get my money's worth!

34%Maybe - depends on price and what's included.

35%No way - it's cheaper to pay as you go.

8%No - I don't drink alcohol.

Total Votes: 384

Wonder what the poll figures would be if the reported trial on RC Harmony OTS - reintroduction of the 'all adults in the cabin must purchase drinks package if one does' policy is introduced fleet-wide.

I understand this rule applies on some other lines, & some lines don't have packages, or not downunder at least, but the thread on RC board has some interesting posts in regards to sharing, or not, of packages.

Probably would not pay for a drink package. It really depends on how you drink. Not worth it for me. However if it's free that is a different story.

The drink package is often included on cruise specials but never free. There will be always be an extra amount built in to the cruise price to compensate.

Even assuming it is increasing, which I am not really sure about, this should only really effect a small number of people.

Most will already fall into either it makes no sense (less than 30 a day in drinks or less) or omg I paid for the drink package with no issue at all (70 a day or more). In the middle are far less people I bet. Just do the math and guess but even then it won't matter that much?

Wonder what the poll figures would be if the reported trial on RC Harmony OTS - reintroduction of the 'all adults in the cabin must purchase drinks package if one does' policy is introduced fleet-wide.

I understand this rule applies on some other lines, & some lines don't have packages, or not downunder at least, but the thread on RC board has some interesting posts in regards to sharing, or not, of packages.

yes, you are right, I think less people would buy it if everyone in the cabin had to have it. And well people will always try and push the boundaries which means that policing the sharing of packages can become a nightmare.

yes, you are right, I think less people would buy it if everyone in the cabin had to have it. And well people will always try and push the boundaries which means that policing the sharing of packages can become a nightmare.

But that was known when they introduced them, and pricing was set to account for a generous usage.

Perhaps as individual drinks have risen in price on RCL, it's encouraged more to look at alternatives? But I doubt it's had a major influence on people's character.

I think this is more an opportunity to see if they can get some more profit as their competitors have been (since drinks sales are highly profitable in any case).

If their overall revenue take increases as people comply they'll expand the trial. If sales fall (due to people not wanting to take up two packages) then they'll abort.

But that was known when they introduced them, and pricing was set to account for a generous usage..

I have never purchased an alcohol package & can't see that I ever will, based on value for money, so I have no dog in this fight.

Happy to be corrected as my memory can sometime be fuzzy, but for RC, there was a requirement for 'all adults in the cabin must purchase drinks package if one does' when they were first introduced & that was later amended to allow just 1 to buy. The current trial is thus to return to the existing policy. In fact until recently the old policy was still included on the RC website, which caused some confusion for some.

They may have allowed for "a generous usage", but perhaps just one persons generous usage, not a shared, possibly equally generous usage??

Cheers