Worried about cabin choice...

So this coming February the family and I will be going on the Norwegian Gem for our first cruise in over ten years, as well as our first balcony (Yippee!). I've tried my best in finding the perfect cabin. As far midship as possible, lowest deck, to avoid seasickness. All the while not breaking the bank, yadda, yadda.

But now that I've finalized everything and checked the tickets, I realized it's an enclosed balcony...

I'm just slightly worried if the view will be restricted at all and a little concerned over sea sickness. The cabin is on deck eight, 8048. Which seems to be located adjacent to a stairwell. So OF COURSE now I'm concerned about possible noise :rolleyes:.

Has anyone had an enclosed cabin before? Care to share your experiences?

The view from an enclosed balcony is out of a large cutout from the hull. Standard balconies have a plexiglass bottom and wooden railing. When standing and looking outward, your panoramic view will be the same as any other balcony. When sitting, you will only see the sky.

The stairway is actually the forward elevator and stairway lobby and it is inside a foyer so noise would not be an issue.

You'll be fine!!

If you are concerned about sea sickness make sure you bring some OTC meds. I get really bad sea sickness and I don't even bother worrying about where my room is. I don't plan on spending my day in my room so with being all over the ship all day and evening, the location has minimal efffect. I just take plenty of preventive meds and am fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So this coming February the family and I will be going on the Norwegian Gem for our first cruise in over ten years, as well as our first balcony (Yippee!). I've tried my best in finding the perfect cabin. As far midship as possible, lowest deck, to avoid seasickness. All the while not breaking the bank, yadda, yadda.

But now that I've finalized everything and checked the tickets, I realized it's an enclosed balcony...

I'm just slightly worried if the view will be restricted at all and a little concerned over sea sickness. The cabin is on deck eight, 8048. Which seems to be located adjacent to a stairwell. So OF COURSE now I'm concerned about possible noise :rolleyes:.

Has anyone had an enclosed cabin before? Care to share your experiences?

8048 is quite far forward in my opinion, the forward section feels the most motion. I personally would look at a BA mid-ship balcony on deck 9 instead of that forward section BD balcony with the priva-sea balcony.. One deck up won't make much difference in the motion....but I would avoid the forward section on the GEM.

The hull balcony is nowhere near midships.

Please explain.

Expense really, it was the cheapest balcony at the time and the farthest I could get. I know some like the hull balconies because it adds more privacy, which I'm perfectly fine with me but I'm just worried about being tossed around.

Expense really, it was the cheapest balcony at the time and the farthest I could get. I know some like the hull balconies because it adds more privacy, which I'm perfectly fine with me but I'm just worried about being tossed around.

8048 is like more than 20 cabins back from the bow and little aft. of the forward elevators even .

Should be a fine ride.:cool:

You'll be fine! The cabin itself is the same as 1000 other 'B' cabins with same balcony size; the only difference is your balcony will be hulled - not too much. My colleague had a cabin like that for her 14 days Panama Canal cruise and she said it was fine. It was on the Pearl which is the exact sister ship to Gem.

We have had cabins close to the elevators and never had any noise issues.

Walking is a great exercise for you on ships ....

ENJOY!!

I can get sick standing on a dock but I take meclizine hcl 25mg (generic Bonine) once a day and am just fine. It doesn't make me drowsy and doesn't interfere with my drinking :) There are lots of different versions. We buy Rugby Travel Sickness medicine, 100 chewable tablets for under $7.00. I also take it when we fly, when I have to ride in the back seat of a car or if we're traveling on windy roads.

Here is a youtube video of 8542 on sister ship Jewel. Stateroom is close to your location but on the port side. We enjoy being close to the stairs/elevator.

Don't put so much concern on what deck it is on. There may be a slight difference in perceived motion but in my experience it isn't enough to matter, it just gets overblown. My wife is very prone to motion sickness and there are no spots on a ship that make one better than another location when she is feeling bad.

The true fix is to take the meds as directed.

According to CruiseAdvice:

• Best staterooms to consider on Deck 8 are going to be midship, between the elevators most forward and aft. These include balcony staterooms 8542- 8548 port side and 8042- 8048 starboard. There are several exterior staterooms with obstructed views in this section of Deck 8 on the Norwegian Gem (8550- 8594 and 8596- 8602 port side and 8050- 8094 and 8096- 8102 starboard). Interior cabins 8051- 8561 and 8069- 8587 are also in this area. These staterooms have relatively quiet public areas beneath, and will not have much in the way of noise issues during the day or late at night.

We sailed the Gem in December and had an enclosed balcony - got a free upgrade from an outside cabin. I didn't feel excessive motion being that far forward and didn't mind the enclosed balcony at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it and enjoy your cruise.

According to CruiseAdvice:

• Best staterooms to consider on Deck 8 are going to be midship, between the elevators most forward and aft. These include balcony staterooms 8542- 8548 port side and 8042- 8048 starboard. There are several exterior staterooms with obstructed views in this section of Deck 8 on the Norwegian Gem (8550- 8594 and 8596- 8602 port side and 8050- 8094 and 8096- 8102 starboard). Interior cabins 8051- 8561 and 8069- 8587 are also in this area. These staterooms have relatively quiet public areas beneath, and will not have much in the way of noise issues during the day or late at night.

You see that's what confuses me. It still falls into the midship category despite it being a bit forward. I'm just not sure if it would be more of a hassle to look into switching when it might just be a perfectly fine balcony cabin. Obsessive anxiety, isn't it lovely?

Has anyone had a similar balcony? Have any pros or cons to weight it? I appreciate the help!!