One Way Flights to Rotterdam/Amsterdam

jow623

Anyone have any advice on booking these flights? Prices are outrageous! Thanks

If I were planning a HAL cruise, from Europe, I would ask HAL to quote the fare & book the flights..

HAL normally would be able to get them much less than the normal one way fares which you or a TA could get..:cool:

HAL might even have blocked space for their Psgrs. who are joining in Rotterdam..

Try round trip flights to see if cheaper. Also some web sites allow you to compare prices with dates.

If you do book round trip make sure your "first flight" is the one you want e.g. San Francisco to Amsterdam round trip rather than Amsterdam to San Francisco round trip. Throw away the unused portion of ticket.

I know folks who have done the "throw-away" of the return flight. The airlines hate this. They have stripped passengers of their FF miles for doing this. We have found for one-way international flights, HAL can do much better than even the round trip throw-away. One-way domestic US flights are not so bad. We just got one-way from Tampa to Venice for $399 coach and $789 British Airways World Traveler Plus service, which gets you a 20" wide seat, 38" of pitch, a meal and free drinks for the Atlantic crossing. Ask HAL to quote you. You might be pleasantly surprised.

We've used IcelandAir, twice, once to Oslo, once to Zurich. They fly through Iceland for connections to Europe, and if you want to stay for up to 7 days in Iceland there is no extra charge. We used Boston as our stepping off point, but they fly from Denver, JFK, and Chicago too, plus others. Easy website for checking dates and fares. Good flights, good room in the seats, no frills but free bottled water as you enter! Meals/snacks can be added to your reservation. I don't recall any luggage fees.

AirLingus also does decent one-ways, through Ireland. m--

Friends uses Icelandair as recently as May 2nd this year.

Prices were good for one way.

Planes leave from Amsterdam but it's a short ride by train or taxi or private transfer to Amsterdam.

Train goes right to Amsterdam airport too.

Luckily we were able to use FF miles last time (and next time) but Flight Ease (HAL's flights) can have some good prices so worth checking out.

I'm not a fan of the round trip throw away ticket. Depending on the airline, they may disregard but they may not.

We booked a one way to Amsterdam last week, and HAL's price was less than 25 percent pf what we could get ourselves. Also check with HAL on one stop flights and different airlines. Our one stop was half of the non stop and a lot less than the one stop on a different airline.

Look up Norwegian Airlines, last November I booked Boston to Barcelona for a HAL TA on Eurodam for $252. 20 . It went through Gatwick with a two hour layover. I believe they are now flying from other east coast cities as well.

Just checked ! Norwegian has flights from Las Vegas on certain dates (they don't fly every day) to Amsterdam for as little as $358.60 one way. and they fly Boeing's Dreamliner. I believe they fly two days a week.

Agree that you should always check the cruise line for one way flight fares. You can also look at Norwegian (already mentioned) and Aer Lingus. Keep in mind that with Aer Lingus you are usually permitted a multi-day (used to be up to 10 days) stop-over in Ireland. We have taken advantage of this option on two occasions to add a few days in Ireland for no additional airfare.

Hank

Agree that you should always check the cruise line for one way flight fares. You can also look at Norwegian (already mentioned) and Aer Lingus. Keep in mind that with Aer Lingus you are usually permitted a multi-day (used to be up to 10 days) stop-over in Ireland. We have taken advantage of this option on two occasions to add a few days in Ireland for no additional airfare.

Hank

Thanks for posting this - I didn't know they a similar type deal as IcelandAir. Good to know! m--

If you book your own round trip ticket and fail to use the last portion it now sends off red flag to port authorities per our BIL who works with border patrol. Just gives them more to worry about trying to protect the world......and as already noted the flights through HAL are typically competitive.......

Thanks for the info on using a stop over.

If you book a return flight, make sure you cancel the part you do not use. Do not just not use it.

I did that in 2010, had a group fare r/t Italy with a bunch of my cousins. They came home, DH and I stayed in Italy, so we did not use our return tickets. We did not cancel, just no-show. I was not aware of that being a problem, figured it would make somebody's day getting a seat. Can you explain what the potential issues are? Thanks, m--

I see special prices all the time. Example: flight and round trip Rome $699 with hotel. Can I book this and only use flight one Way? Is this ethical?

Yes, no, and maybe. It's the fine print that might get you. Airlines have gotten smart about this and frequently put in caveats that allow them to raise the price if you don't travel per the arrangements. Technically not traveling per the contract without approval is a breach of contract so ethically questionable at best and potentially illegal.

For RMLincoln:

We were told by a TA that they had cases where people only used the one part of the ticket and the airline came back at the travel agent to pay the difference between the one way fare (much more expensive) than the return trip fare. This was in Canada on a Canadian airline. So they told us to cancel the return airfare. Did it twice with no problem. Lost the 'return' portion, but the fare was still much cheaper.

It's like making a reservation at a nice restaurant, and just not showing up. Sure, somebody else might luck out and get a table when the place is fully booked, or maybe not. The restaurant gets stuck with an empty table and lost revenue. Same with airlines. If you throw-away the return or a round trip, and you only fly that airline once or rarely, you will not suffer any consequences. But it's a carrier you use for business trips, you may get some problem if you use them again.

Cruise lines can purchase bulk fares for passengers at extremely low rates due to their volume. This is for one-way and open -jaw tickets, mostly international. Domestic one-ways are easy to book yourself and not too much different than the cruise line fares.

How is Holland when you perfer Business class one way. I want

June 14 ' date='2018

August 3, 2018

Both one way to Amsterdam Business Class[/quote']

In my previous post, post #10, I mentioned how much lower our fare to Amsterdam is ths August by getting it through HAL. What I did not mention was we booked business.

Also, besure to have them check for non stop and one stop flights and on all airlines going where you want tomgo.

In my previous post, post #10, I mentioned how much lower our fare to Amsterdam is ths August by getting it through HAL. What I did not mention was we booked business.

Also, besure to have them check for non stop and one stop flights and on all airlines going where you want tomgo.

Thanks for the info.