Flip Flops on casual nights

mommag3boys

"This flat iron steak tastes fantastic. Wait, I just saw flip flops. This flat iron steak tastes disgusting." - said no one ever.

In fairness, I have never heard "This flat iron steak tastes fantastic" Perhaps your post would ring more true if you said "This flat iron is steak is okay. Wait, I just saw flip flops. This flat iron steak tastes disgusting." OR

"This chocolate melting cake tastes fantastic. Wait, I just saw flip flops. This chocolate melting cake tastes disgusting."

Apart from making people look like slobs, they are not good for your feet, and can be dangerous.

Top 3 injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Great for keeping your feet cool, flip flops can cause all sorts of personal injuries. Here are some of the most common injuries caused by wearing flip-flops.

Injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Flip flops can easily cause slips and trips. The most common slip and trip injuries caused by wearing flip-flops include ankle sprains and broken wrists.

How flip-flops cause accidents

Loose fitting, open and generally quite slippery, flip-flops can cause slips, trips and falls or vehicle accidents by:

• Getting caught on steps, loose flooring or pedals
  • Slipping off pedals
  • Slipping off your feet at the wrong moment

Many ankle sprains and broken ankles are caused by feet slipping sideways in flip-flops, causing the ankles to go over.

Overuse injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Providing virtually no support for your feet, flip-flops can also cause potentially serious overuse injuries. One of the most commonly suffered overuse injury caused by flip-flops is plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the ligament connecting the heel bone to the toes.

The moral of the tale

In a nutshell, flip-flops are great for relaxing on the beach, but they should never be worn for prolonged periods, daily activities or on board a ship, especially in the main dining area.

Apart from making people look like slobs, they are not good for your feet, and can be dangerous.

Top 3 injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Great for keeping your feet cool, flip flops can cause all sorts of personal injuries. Here are some of the most common injuries caused by wearing flip-flops.

Injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Flip flops can easily cause slips and trips. The most common slip and trip injuries caused by wearing flip-flops include ankle sprains and broken wrists.

How flip-flops cause accidents

Loose fitting, open and generally quite slippery, flip-flops can cause slips, trips and falls or vehicle accidents by:

• Getting caught on steps, loose flooring or pedals
  • Slipping off pedals
  • Slipping off your feet at the wrong moment

Many ankle sprains and broken ankles are caused by feet slipping sideways in flip-flops, causing the ankles to go over.

Overuse injuries caused by wearing flip-flops

Providing virtually no support for your feet, flip-flops can also cause potentially serious overuse injuries. One of the most commonly suffered overuse injury caused by flip-flops is plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the ligament connecting the heel bone to the toes.

The moral of the tale

In a nutshell, flip-flops are great for relaxing on the beach, but they should never be worn for prolonged periods, daily activities or on board a ship, especially in the main dining area.

1. There are thicker flip flops designed to give support

2. appealing to health concerns is futile....if it worked, people wouldn't be smoking, drinking, and gambling

3. high heals cause more issues...some requiring orthopedic surgeons to operate. So the precedent of use of footwear that is suboptimal to shoes is firmly established

If you're going to wear thicker flip flops, you may as well just wear a proper pair of shoes.

At the end of the day I guess it's up to the individual what they want to wear, even if it means breaking the rules .I just think it lowers the already diminishing standards, and makes people look like slobs who can't be bothered to dress appropriately.

If you're going to wear thicker flip flops, you may as well just wear a proper pair of shoes.

At the end of the day I guess it's up to the individual what they want to wear, even if it means breaking the rules .I just think it lowers the already diminishing standards, and makes people look like slobs who can't be bothered to dress appropriately.

Eh. I wear flip flops on casual nights, and dress similar to the clothing options in my previous post. If clothes from Abercrombie and Fitch makes me a slob, then I am a slob.

The judgement from the "holier than thou" crowd is deafening. Even the ole "trailer park" insult. I've never lived in a trailer park, but have lived in a couple trailers in my life. Not ashamed of it. I'm not sure how that automatically makes you better than me. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't all, or at least most, of this ire be directed at Carnival? After all, they're the ones who allow the articles of clothing many of you hate to see so much. Take it up with them. Tell them to enforce their dress code. If they don't, you can choose to deal with it (and I guess continue to moan about it on here) or go to another line that better suits your dining needs (and probably still moan about it on here).

So let me get this straight. With the tablecloths, they were not Applebee's, they were fine dining? Without the tablecloths, they became Applebee's instead of fine dining? Are you saying the tablecloths defined the MDR as fine dining?

No - the tablecloths were just a symbol of the way the whole experience has deteriorated. I'd say just MO, but there are quite a large number of people who feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it's just the tablecloth, but the whole atmosphere. Remove table cloths, put a pitcher of water on the table, and pour it yourself, but a basket of bread, reduce the number of waiters, change the menu to basic foods all contributed to the Applebee's comment. Next it's going to be just another buffet or maybe a partial buffet, like order your main dish, than go get your own salad etc. Don't be surprised.

Exactly!

I've said it before and I will say it again, a table cloth does not add to or detract from the taste of anything.

No but as I keep saying - the tablecloths are just a symbol of what IMO, and the opinion of many others, is a deterioration of the whole experience. Tablecloths may not make a difference in the taste of the food, but lowering the quality of the food sure does!

You're right and I wouldn't be surprised either. Some people will disagree with you. These same people would think that eating Carnival's main dining room food in a McDonalds atmosphere wouldn't detract from the taste of the food either so why not? Atmosphere, tablecloths, fellow patrons dressing nicely all contribute to the enjoyment of the main dining room experience. I don't want to eat my prime rib on a cruise I paid plenty for sitting at a picnic table with people who just got off the basketball court or just came right from the beach without changing. Most people pay for the whole cruise dining experience, not just what is on your plate right in front of year. More and more of what makes this enjoyable seems to be going away and people accept it.

It's called ambiance and some people don't get it and apparently a lot that do place no value on it. As long as the have that prime rib, you're correct, they don't care about their surroundings. May as well do away with the MDR and make it all lido.

No but as I keep saying - the tablecloths are just a symbol of what IMO, and the opinion of many others, is a deterioration of the whole experience. Tablecloths may not make a difference in the taste of the food, but lowering the quality of the food sure does!

Symbols and analogies are meaningless. So is claims like "the deterioration of the whole experience". American Table simply was something that tried to make some subtle changes to the evening meal in the MDR. When people start talking with broad strokes it begins to sound conspiracy theory like (to me anyway). My experience since the implementation of AT is that much, read that as most, of the hoopla here is fluff. The changes in AT were actually welcomed changes (for the vast majority of them). Some were what I would call a fairly significant enhancement.

All cruise lines have had cutbacks.....all. If you want to talk specifics of your perception of what you think Carnival's are, I am happy to discuss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find it interesting that so many people use the safety aspect to argue against flip flops (i.e they're slippery on wet decks) but don't argue against the many other styles of shoes, especially many women's shoes, that, not only look very similar to a flip flop, but don't have any tread and could be just as slippery. I don't care what you wear on your feet. Too many people here trying to tell others how to live their lives. What I see are people who argue against one and not the other just because they don't like one of them.

No - the tablecloths were just a symbol of the way the whole experience has deteriorated. I'd say just MO, but there are quite a large number of people who feel the same way.

Yes, there are a large number of people who feel the same way you do about the tablecloths. But guess what? There are just as many, maybe even more, who don't let it bother them. The same goes for the so called lower quality food. Just opinions and everyone has a right to their own opinion. The problem comes when many people think their opinion is the only right one. Especially when they think their cruising status (how many years they've cruised and the number of cruises they've been on) somehow makes their opinion worth more than others. Big pet peeve of mine. Sorry to disappoint them, but that's just not the case. Then you get people like First and Ten (Havingfun2010 might be another one, I can't keep them straight) who admit they do not cruise with Carnival, yet come here anyway just to badmouth the company and troll the people who do spend their money with Carnival. The sad part is, people use the comments these trolls make to support their own arguments.

I find it interesting that so many people use the safety aspect to argue against flip flops (i.e they're slippery on wet decks) but don't argue against the many other styles of shoes, especially many women's shoes, that, not only look very similar to a flip flop, but don't have any tread and could be just as slippery. I don't care what you wear on your feet. Too many people here trying to tell others how to live their lives. What I see are people who argue against one and not the other just because they don't like one of them.

Yes, there are a large number of people who feel the same way you do about the tablecloths. But guess what? There are just as many, maybe even more, who don't let it bother them. The same goes for the so called lower quality food. Just opinions and everyone has a right to their own opinion. The problem comes when many people think their opinion is the only right one. Especially when they think their cruising status (how many years they've cruised and the number of cruises they've been on) somehow makes their opinion worth more than others. Big pet peeve of mine. Sorry to disappoint them, but that's just not the case. Then you get people like First and Ten (Havingfun2010 might be another one, I can't keep them straight) who admit they do not cruise with Carnival, yet come here anyway just to badmouth the company and troll the people who do spend their money with Carnival. The sad part is, people use the comments these trolls make to support their own arguments.

Are you serious?

If you are going to attribute something to me, at least be even remotely correct....the majority of my cruises have been with Carnival. I like the Carnival product. So show me a post that I say I don't cruise Carnival. I bad mouth Carnival???? Where? I typically stick up for Carnival. I am against the self entitled passenger mindset that believes "It's MY vacation and I get to do what I want to do. Rules are not meant for me". Let me ask you this, because my opinion on certain topics may differ than yours, it makes me a "troll"? I just want to be clear that if you have an opinion about something and you post your opinion, that's ok. If I post something that differs from your mindset, then I am labeled a troll. Is that how it works in your world? [emoji848]

Edited by First and Ten

May as well do away with the MDR and make it all lido.

That would be a deal breaker for us. We go to the MDR every night and enjoy it as we see it not as a nuisance but as part of our evening entertainment/activities. I thought I'd hate the tables without tablecloths on then for casual nights but with the place settings the tables look nice enough without them

If we're going to spend what it costs to eat in the ship steakhouse I'd much rather spend that at home at a nice place here. We've never left the MDR hungry :D

I have a pair of black "flip-flops" with rhinestone bows on them I always wear on casual nights :D The look dressy enough for casual nights.

If you are going to attribute something to me, at least be even remotely correct....the majority of my cruises have been with Carnival. I like the Carnival product. So show me a post that I say I don't cruise Carnival. I bad mouth Carnival???? Where? I typically stick up for Carnival. I am against the self entitled passenger mindset that believes "It's MY vacation and I get to do what I want to do. Rules are not meant for me". Let me ask you this, because my opinion on certain topics may differ than yours, it makes me a "troll"? I just want to be clear that if you have an opinion about something and you post your opinion, that's ok. If I post something that differs from your mindset, then I am labeled a troll. Is that how it works in your world? [emoji848]
If you are not one of the ones I was referring to, then I apologize. As I said, I can't always keep them straight. In all the excitement, sometimes usernames start blurring together. In no way did I say trolls are defined by those with different opinions.

Are you serious?
While I may have been mistaken about user First and Ten, to which I apologized, the fact still stands that there are a few regulars to the Carnival forum who do not sail on Carnival (by their own admittance). They constantly bash Carnival and put down its customers.

That would be a deal breaker for us. We go to the MDR every night and enjoy it as we see it not as a nuisance but as part of our evening entertainment/activities. I thought I'd hate the tables without tablecloths on then for casual nights but with the place settings the tables look nice enough without them

If we're going to spend what it costs to eat in the ship steakhouse I'd much rather spend that at home at a nice place here. We've never left the MDR hungry :D

I have a pair of black "flip-flops" with rhinestone bows on them I always wear on casual nights :D The look dressy enough for casual nights.

It will never happen

Sent from my iPad using Forums