Tipping with all inclusive drink package

Red Rock Feaver

Yep. On Princess, as on most cruise lines, all cash tips are turned in to the accounting department until the cruise is over and passenger auto tip accounts are reconciled. If the auto tips are left in place, the cash tip are deposited into the crew member's account. If the auto tips were removed or reduced, the cash tips go into the general pool to be shared. This is to prevent misguided people from tipping only certain crew members leaving everyone else who supported them out of luck. Over the years on these boards this process has been described by several people who work in the cruise industry, including one who handled crew accounting tasks.

That is why when we give additional cash at the end (never before) the cruise, we put it in an envelope with our names and cabin number on the envelope. This is what the crew member would have to do anyway when they turn in those cash tips in order to identify who gave it to them. Putting that information on the envelope makes it one less thing for them to have to do in their busy work schedule.

Where can this be verified. I'm told and read in a Princess contract posted about 2 years ago that all cash tips go into the pool. Until someone comes up with actual documentation nobody really knows where this money goes.

Where can this be verified. I'm told and read in a Princess contract posted about 2 years ago that all cash tips go into the pool. Until someone comes up with actual documentation nobody really knows where this money goes.

Do a search covering several years and look there. I did not bookmark the posts, but many explaining how this works were posted over the years. Most everyone on these boards will tell you the same thing on how tips are handled. Of course, there will always be a few non-believers - some even when the facts are right in their faces. ;)

We had a couple of bartenders we really liked on our last cruise so we gave them an extra tip at the end of the cruise. We were happy to do it and didn't feel like we we double tipping. At a restaurant I may give more than 15/20% if I really think the service was great.

Aren't you the one who on every tipping thread repeatedly tries to convince people that all tips are pooled and distributed across the fleet, with better performing ships getting part of the tips that are supposed to go to the people earning them on other ships? You continually demand documentation describing how the process works, while at the same time providing zero proof to support your claims to the contrary. You have been beating that dead horse for so long that I have started calling your theory the "Cruzsnooze Illusion". :D

Dozens of people have explained how this works, some with insider knowledge of such things. But apparently there is at least one person on CC who refuses to believe that a cruise line actually operates differently than how he has convinced himself that they maybe, possibly, perhaps, might, "I heard it somewhere", do things. ;p

Edited by PTMary

Aren't you the one who on every tipping thread repeatedly tries to convince people that all tips are pooled and distributed across the fleet, with better performing ships getting part of the tips that are supposed to go to the people earning them on other ships? You continually demand documentation describing how the process works, while at the same time providing zero proof to support your claims to the contrary. You have been beating that dead horse for so long that I have started calling your theory the "Cruzsnooze Illusion". :D

Dozens of people have explained how this works, some with insider knowledge of such things. But apparently there is at least one person on CC who refuses to believe that a cruise line actually operates differently than how he has convinced himself that they maybe, possibly, perhaps, might, "I heard it somewhere", do things. ;p

personally, I do not know how the process works. I can say this: Cruz snooze is correct about the "contract' being posted that says all tips go into the pool. I've seen it too. However, others have stated that the contract isn't the real contract. Whether it is or not, I don't know but if it isn't someone went to a lot of trouble.

I honestly don't care how the money is dispersed. I leave the daily hotel charge in place and tip extra as I see fit. If the person who I hand it to gets to keep it that's fine. If he has to share it that's also fine. Either way I made someone happy. It's not my job to negotiate their contract. If they agreed to it I'm sure they have accepted the fact that they may need to share in the extra tips. Most of what I read on cruise critic in terms of tipping are hearsay. When I start reading things like my Aunt's best friend from college has a landscaper who knows someone who worked on a cruise ship. I scroll to the next post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Iamcruzin

Some people are actually appreciative of the hard work done by the cruise staff and reward good service. With regard to the AIBP, purchased or provided by Princess promo, yes the 15% gratuity is added in and is approximately $7.50 of the total price. Had you purchased 10 drinks throughout the day at $10 per drink the bar staff would be rewarded with $15 in total gratuity. A little extra I would imagine is highly appreciated by the hard working crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very appreciative of people who do their JOB well and serve me and get tipped BUT enough is enough. I don't believe the amount of bragging on these boards nor do I believe people walk around handing out dollar bills to crew as loosly as described here. It is supposed to be GOOG service no different then any service industry. The amount crew earns makes them quite wealthy in their home countries and they apparently are happy with their jobs as eveidenced by the longevity many of them have been with the job.

By not tipping extra above the 15% added to your bill you are in no way stiffing the crew and people should not be made to feel it is the norm to tip more because it is the exception. CC people are more like cheer leaders and not representative of the average cruiser.

Do a search covering several years and look there. I did not bookmark the posts, but many explaining how this works were posted over the years. Most everyone on these boards will tell you the same thing on how tips are handled. Of course, there will always be a few non-believers - some even when the facts are right in their faces. ;)

Show us the facts, because people say it's so doesn't make it so. Just look at the highest office in the land, alternative facts!

Show us the facts, because people say it's so doesn't make it so. Just look at the highest office in the land, alternative facts!

Same thing could be said about your dubious claims, especially the claim that Princess takes tips away from people on one ship and gives them to people on other ships. :rolleyes:

I prefer to believe the experts in the industry who sometimes post here, not someone who has ranted about "enough is enough" as you have done on your previous post. For people who can afford to cruise, what is another $50 to $100 addition to the other costs of the cruise? I can afford to be generous, and I am when I feel they have done more than the basics. You aren't as generous, and that is your right. Doesn't make me a braggart as you have insinuated with your insult. But it does make you appear to be a cheapskate by your passionate denunciation of tipping extra and the insult you threw at those of us who do.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Same thing could be said about your dubious claims, especially the claim that Princess takes tips away from people on one ship and gives them to people on other ships. :rolleyes:

I prefer to believe the experts in the industry who sometimes post here, not someone who has ranted about "enough is enough" as you have done on your previous post. For people who can afford to cruise, what is another $50 to $100 addition to the other costs of the cruise? I can afford to be generous, and I am when I feel they have done more than the basics. You aren't as generous, and that is your right. Doesn't make me a braggart as you have insinuated with your insult. But it does make you appear to be a cheapskate by your passionate denunciation of tipping extra and the insult you threw at those of us who do.

Well said Santa we agree!

I warned the OP that comments would be "all over the board" as this subject is very sensitive, to say the least [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one additional piece of information although not about OP's question, but since the thread has digressed:

On one of our recent cruises, our waiter told us not to bother to tip as they didn't get to keep it. I was very surprised as no one had ever said this before in a specialty restaurant.

Just one additional piece of information although not about OP's question, but since the thread has digressed:

On one of our recent cruises, our waiter told us not to bother to tip as they didn't get to keep it. I was very surprised as no one had ever said this before in a specialty restaurant.

I'm surprised too. We usually tip an extra $10.00 for the two of us. If you slip them a $10.00 bill on the way out, how does anyone know? From now on, I will make sure to always tip in cash, because a couple of times I did forget to bring cash and wrote the tip in on the bill.

I think it's a little different leaving a cash tip on the table in a dining room where many eyes will see it and tips are shared much like in an on shore restaurant. I'm sure no one with the cruise lines is going thru room steward pockets looking for cash tips and even if they did they could not prove it was a tip and the crew carries spending money as well. It may or may not say in their contract that cash tips are to be turned on but I think cash tips a steward gets are turned in about at he same rate as tax payers claim their online purchases and pay their state the taxes due.

Rather than give extra tips on drink purchases with a built in 15% gratuity already added, maybe give a 15% tip to the hard working people in the facets store and art auctions on those purchases ;)

I'm probably just repeating myself from what I read but I'll just put it right out there. Here is when we tip. $1 and Cash for every beverage, it does seem to make them give you a more friendly and treatment in the future. We always tip room service, I see a great attitude from every person that has come to our room. Twerk traipsing that card up to a room for an extra $2. We took our Stewart at the end. We usually give at least 50. I usually tip the coffee people whenever I get a coffee, again $1 cash. Sometimes I just gave them 5 or $10 on the last day. We tip our dining room guys if they are doing an incredible job on a daily basis. If they are just doing an okay job usually tip on our last night. Just a few dollars. I've never once tipped someone on Princess & not seen them being grateful. They definitely don't seem to have the attitude that they expect us to tip cash.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app