Celebrity Cruises Evening Chic???

Bankpen

Haven't cruised with Celebrity since March 2016 from Santiago through the Panama Canal to Miami in the early days of the 'evening chic' dress code changes. Certainly by the final 'evening chic' dinner the tuxedos and ladies gowns outnumbered the casual dressers, almost as if people were waiting for others to take the lead in wearing formal attire.

However, as time has passed and we are soon (October) to take a Southern Caribbean cruise from Miami on Celebrity Equinox I was wondering if the dress sense is even more relaxed now??

I for one, like the formality of 'dressing for dinner' but don't want to walk into the MDR and be mistaken for the Maitre d'!!!

Has anyone got any recent experiences to share please?

Before all the trolls answer you... you will def. see a much more relaxed dress on chic nights. Few if any Tux's some suits tho.. I, like you enjoyed formals but don't mind the new rules either.. the best part is you can wear what you want. If you are feeling a great dress and tux look, go for It! If you tired and want to relax a bit more or are pressed for time then it's fine too.

Recently, there were very few tuxes and formal gowns. Gentlemen wore sport jackets or suits and the ladies wore nice dresses on the evening chic nights. People are dressing down but still look presentable. As mentioned, you can dress up if you care to do so.

We were just on Equinox last month. Maybe it's the Caribbean but the dress was much more casual on the Evening Chic nights. I don't think I saw a single tux...not saying you couldn't wear one if you wanted! In fact I didn't pay attention and didn't realize it was the second Evening Chic night until I opened the menu and saw lobster. My husband was in a polo shirt and khakis; he had worn a sports coat and tie the first Evening Chic night. I looked around and most men were similarly dressed. The dressiest I saw were sports coats around me in Select Dining at 7pm. So I think it really can be whatever makes you comfortable. If you want to dress up go for it! If you don't then you will not feel in the minority. Possibly longer cruises might have a different demographic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

.....Has anyone got any recent experiences to share please?

Quite simply, if you feel like dressing up, then do, and if you don't, then don't.

A few of the people who post on the dress threads try to sway others to dress to their own personal preference by implying (usually not very subtly) that anyone who does not dress as they prefer to dress will feel out of place.

But in fact our recent experience has been that it is nothing to be concerned about in the slightest.

We have seen a wide range of styles worn aboard the ship on the chic nights, from one extreme to the other.

Most passengers dress somewhere in the middle.

The way that some of the officers express it, evening chic nights are intended to be an opportunity for people to express their individuality, not for everyone to dress alike.

Unless you choose to wear something really outrageous (on either end of the spectrum), you should not feel out of place.

My advice would be to wear whatever makes you happy, but whatever you decide to wear, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Haven't cruised with Celebrity since March 2016 from Santiago through the Panama Canal to Miami in the early days of the 'evening chic' dress code changes. Certainly by the final 'evening chic' dinner the tuxedos and ladies gowns outnumbered the casual dressers, almost as if people were waiting for others to take the lead in wearing formal attire.

However, as time has passed and we are soon (October) to take a Southern Caribbean cruise from Miami on Celebrity Equinox I was wondering if the dress sense is even more relaxed now??

I for one, like the formality of 'dressing for dinner' but don't want to walk into the MDR and be mistaken for the Maitre d'!!!

We've done the Eclipse 14 night Caribbean 3 times(booked again next Jan.)The Chic nights started off slowly, but got fancier as the last one approached. The last trip(Jan.2017)the last Chic night was the most formal I've ever seen on Celebrity. We thought we were back on Cunard. The casual crowd can brag all they want. They are still in the vast minority of improper dress. You'll find most stick to a decent dress style. You'll both look fine. Go for it!

We were just on Equinox last month. Maybe it's the Caribbean but the dress was much more casual on the Evening Chic nights. I don't think I saw a single tux...not saying you couldn't wear one if you wanted! In fact I didn't pay attention and didn't realize it was the second Evening Chic night until I opened the menu and saw lobster. My husband was in a polo shirt and khakis; he had worn a sports coat and tie the first Evening Chic night. I looked around and most men were similarly dressed. The dressiest I saw were sports coats around me in Select Dining at 7pm. So I think it really can be whatever makes you comfortable. If you want to dress up go for it! If you don't then you will not feel in the minority. Possibly longer cruises might have a different demographic.

I'd say most definitely different "demographic". I don't "buy" the "I didn't see a single tux" deal! I had friends on that cruise & they wore their tuxes. Not a lot but there were some. Without a doubt the Eclipse seems to draw a more formal crowd & the ship & pax look all the better for it. These are the 14 day cruises. One thing I learned about the pax on "CC" is that they represent considerably less than 5% of the total pax on any given ship. Look at a "roll call". Less than 80 pax overall. Maybe another 20 or so just "lurk" on this site. But out of 3000 pax(on a Solstice class ship)is a small group overall.

• Like 1

Just returned from a Baltic Cruise on the Eclipse today. Can only speak as we found but we were pleasantly surprised that "Chic" nights were observed diligently. In fact having expressed disappointment that "formal" had disappeared. Found that a suit and tie probably didn't do itself justice. What was noticeable was the ladies avoided the long gowns, going for sparkly tops or very smart dresses. All in all most people seemed comfortable in how they were dressed, and let's leave each to their own.

I'd say most definitely different "demographic". I don't "buy" the "I didn't see a single tux" deal! I had friends on that cruise & they wore their tuxes. Not a lot but there were some. Without a doubt the Eclipse seems to draw a more formal crowd & the ship & pax look all the better for it. These are the 14 day cruises. One thing I learned about the pax on "CC" is that they represent considerably less than 5% of the total pax on any given ship. Look at a "roll call". Less than 80 pax overall. Maybe another 20 or so just "lurk" on this site. But out of 3000 pax(on a Solstice class ship)is a small group overall.

Was on the eclipse 14 night boat trip end jan /early feb 2017 . did not see anyone in a 'tux'

Just returned from a Baltic Cruise on the Eclipse today. Can only speak as we found but we were pleasantly surprised that "Chic" nights were observed diligently. In fact having expressed disappointment that "formal" had disappeared. Found that a suit and tie probably didn't do itself justice. What was noticeable was the ladies avoided the long gowns, going for sparkly tops or very smart dresses. All in all most people seemed comfortable in how they were dressed, and let's leave each to their own.

I agree, on our 10-night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox in April two-thirds of the men dressed in a shirt with tie, sports jacket or suit. Many maybe 15% to 20% were in a tux. Just a handful was wearing a polo shirt. Not sure I saw a single woman in a long gown but 95% + were dressed in beautiful cocktail dresses or sparkly tops. Keep in mind the ship has air conditioning so it's never too hot to still wear a tux if you want in the evening.:D

A few of the people who post on the dress threads try to sway others to dress to their own personal preference by implying (usually not very subtly) that anyone who does not dress as they prefer to dress will feel out of place.

Didn't take long! :halo:

The casual crowd can brag all they want. They are still in the vast minority of improper dress. You'll find most stick to a decent dress style. You'll both look fine. Go for it!

Not quite sure what you mean-- did you feel that people dressed up more or that a suit and tie was over dressed? We are on Eclipse in Aug and am wavering with whether to take DH tux, or not. Packing wise, a tux or sports jacket and slacks or suit all take the same space, so that is not an issue. I can do fine with cocktail outfits, they can go either way,dressy or more casual, just need to adjust the accessories. I usually find that European cruises tend to be dressier than Caribbean

Also, on another note, do you have comments or suggestions on Port visits that you can share? There seem to be very few comments on this years Baltic cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone please post pictures of what evening chic means for men in their 30s on X? These terms are fluid and very open to interpretation. Thank you.

The one thing not mentioned in this thread is that numbers and mode of dress will depend largely on the itinerary. TA you will see lots of dressing up, Alaska, not so much. Also, it is just human nature to see what you you want to see.

We have been on several X cruises since the 'chic' evenings were introduced.

The Med cruise: some tuxedos, some lounge suits, some jackets, some shirt sleeves.

The Baltic cruise: more tuxedos, some jackets, less lounge suits, some shirt sleeves.

The UAE, India Christmas + New Year cruise: lots of tuxedos, some jackets, a few in jackets or shirt sleeves. Please note that the Brits outnumbered any other nationality on the India cruise. Also, there was the Christmas/New Year influence...

We're packing some more formal clothes for our cruise on the Reflection (Rome to Rome) in just over two weeks: sparkly, glittery cocktail dresses etc / tuxedo plus winged collar etc.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your cruise!

Currently on Reflection - Rome to Rome and last night was our first evening chic night. Very surprised at the tiny numbers in formal wear.In the MDR almost all in shirt sleeves. Formal wear certainly very much in the minority but as others have said just wear what makes you feel comfortable.

After googling and digging through some PDF's, it seems that this is what X defines as evening chic. Very relaxed and much more casual than what I had in mind. Looks more like stuff people would wear when they are going to the club or a bar.

evening-chic.jpg

Sorry if my post was confusing. I simply was taken by surprise that the number of men wearing tux's. I didn't expect any and as such only brought jackets and ties. The ladies as always looked lovely, although there was a noticeable lack of traditional ball gowns. So in answer to your question either will do, but it is important that your DH feels comfortable whatever his choice.

This was a cruise that we had to book pretty much last minute having had a major surgery in November which left me in a coma and my poor wife being told I only had 12 hours to live. Having confounded the medical professionals, was delighted when I was told that I was fit enough to travel. So began the real exercise of ticking places from my bucket list. St Petersburg was on that list so this was to be #1 off the list.

I will deal with the itinerary as it was and my thoughts on the ship etc.

First stop for us was an overnight in Copenhagen, we took advantage of an easy day to just relax and unwind a bit by staying on board, venturing ashore on day 2. We took a hop on hop off bus right next to the ship and went to Nyhavvan and enjoyed a gentle stroll along the canal, taking advantage of placing a padlock on their version of the French love bridge and disposing of the keys, as is the tradition. We then reboarded a bus to the statue of the little mermaid, after some photos we then made our way back to the ship. An enjoyable day, but like most cities there is an awful lot of construction going on, so give yourself plenty of time to get about.

Next was Tallin which reminded us of Bruges, a very pretty medieval town. Small enough to walk around, but plenty of cobblestones so high heels could leave you with a broken ankle.

Then my highlight St Petersburg. We booked a private tour with SPB, and they were better than excellent. We had created our own itinerary and our guide and driver Virineya and Igor not only got us to where we had highlighted but threw in some additions like a real Georgian lunch one day and a typical Russian lunch the next, a visit down to the list 2nd deepest underground in the world and boy was it deep. The usual tourist stops like St Catherine's Palace, the Church of the spilled blood, the faberge museum, The Church of St Peter and St Paul etc etc. It wasn't a cheap excessive, but I could not keep up on a ships tour so have to do things at my pace and when I'm done, I'm done. We didn't queue to get in anywhere and that was a true bonus.

Next stop was Helsinki and unfortunately after 2 days in St Petersburg I was exhausted so we stayed on board and tried to recharge my batteries.

Next came Stockholm and it was very pretty. We took a taxi to the Vasa museum and was astonished that a fixed fare in a taxi was €40. We left there with the intention of going about halfway back to the ship and having a coffee and do some people watching, this was abandoned when we were told the trip halfway was €40, and the return to the ship from there was going to be another €40. So the halfway stop was abandoned and we returned to the ship.

Last stop was Warnemunde and again the day quickly became a washout. It was raining "cats and dogs" and was cold. We spoke about getting off, but we decided that with my condition discretion is something we needed to be aware of.

I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect, but feel free to ask about anything and I will try to answer.

After googling and digging through some PDF's, it seems that this is what X defines as evening chic. Very relaxed and much more casual than what I had in mind. Looks more like stuff people would wear when they are going to the club or a bar.

evening-chic.jpg

I dress very similar to the men in the picture but I think most men dress like people going to a convention or trade show. A few tux here and there and you do notice people wearing tux. They look good and they do stand out from the crowd.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I simply was taken by surprise that the number of men wearing tux's. I didn't expect any and as such only brought jackets and ties. The ladies as always looked lovely, although there was a noticeable lack of traditional ball gowns. So in answer to your question either will do, but it is important that your DH feels comfortable whatever his choice.

This was a cruise that we had to book pretty much last minute having had a major surgery in November which left me in a coma and my poor wife being told I only had 12 hours to live. Having confounded the medical professionals, was delighted when I was told that I was fit enough to travel. So began the real exercise of ticking places from my bucket list. St Petersburg was on that list so this was to be #1 off the list.

I will deal with the itinerary as it was and my thoughts on the ship etc.

First stop for us was an overnight in Copenhagen, we took advantage of an easy day to just relax and unwind a bit by staying on board, venturing ashore on day 2. We took a hop on hop off bus right next to the ship and went to Nyhavvan and enjoyed a gentle stroll along the canal, taking advantage of placing a padlock on their version of the French love bridge and disposing of the keys, as is the tradition. We then reboarded a bus to the statue of the little mermaid, after some photos we then made our way back to the ship. An enjoyable day, but like most cities there is an awful lot of construction going on, so give yourself plenty of time to get about.

Next was Tallin which reminded us of Bruges, a very pretty medieval town. Small enough to walk around, but plenty of cobblestones so high heels could leave you with a broken ankle.

Then my highlight St Petersburg. We booked a private tour with SPB, and they were better than excellent. We had created our own itinerary and our guide and driver Virineya and Igor not only got us to where we had highlighted but threw in some additions like a real Georgian lunch one day and a typical Russian lunch the next, a visit down to the list 2nd deepest underground in the world and boy was it deep. The usual tourist stops like St Catherine's Palace, the Church of the spilled blood, the faberge museum, The Church of St Peter and St Paul etc etc. It wasn't a cheap excessive, but I could not keep up on a ships tour so have to do things at my pace and when I'm done, I'm done. We didn't queue to get in anywhere and that was a true bonus.

Next stop was Helsinki and unfortunately after 2 days in St Petersburg I was exhausted so we stayed on board and tried to recharge my batteries.

Next came Stockholm and it was very pretty. We took a taxi to the Vasa museum and was astonished that a fixed fare in a taxi was €40. We left there with the intention of going about halfway back to the ship and having a coffee and do some people watching, this was abandoned when we were told the trip halfway was €40, and the return to the ship from there was going to be another €40. So the halfway stop was abandoned and we returned to the ship.

Last stop was Warnemunde and again the day quickly became a washout. It was raining "cats and dogs" and was cold. We spoke about getting off, but we decided that with my condition discretion is something we needed to be aware of.

I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect, but feel free to ask about anything and I will try to answer.

I am glad that you are better. Can I ask what surgery you had? Did you buy X insurance to cover you?

I dress very similar to the men in the picture but I think most men dress like people going to a convention or trade show. A few tux here and there and you do notice people wearing tux. They look good and they do stand out from the crowd.

I will be dressing more relaxed. No suit as I am on vacation, but I still will look good. :cool:

I don't pack a suit or a Tux. I haven't even packed a dinner jacket and I don't stand out on Chic evenings. Then again, I wouldn't stand out if I wore a suit, Tux or dinner jacket either.

Just wear what you feel comfortable in, unless that's a wife beater with a baseball cap in the full lock position, short shorts and flip flops. Nobody wants to see that in the MDR on Chic nights.

I am glad that you are better. Can I ask what surgery you had? Did you buy X insurance to cover you?

I have Liver Cancer and underwent an unsuccessful transplant. I haemorrhaged and my blood pressure hit the floor. They didn't expect me to be in a position to leave hospital ever should I ever regain consciousness. Now it's time to enjoy whatever is left to the fullest degree, having already beaten the odds just to make the cruise we are now looking to book our next one. This time somewhere warmer. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I was insured by a company called Sun insurance and with my past medical history they were the best quote I could get. Bonus was I didn't need to make a claim.

I have Liver Cancer and underwent an unsuccessful transplant. I haemorrhaged and my blood pressure hit the floor. They didn't expect me to be in a position to leave hospital ever should I ever regain consciousness. Now it's time to enjoy whatever is left to the fullest degree, having already beaten the odds just to make the cruise we are now looking to book our next one. This time somewhere warmer. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I was insured by a company called Sun insurance and with my past medical history they were the best quote I could get. Bonus was I didn't need to make a claim.

I am sorry you went through such a tough situation. I wish you the best. I often ponder the need for insurance for those in my party who are older.

Is there an iron in the room to iron everything or do I have to pay extra to use it?