How long to see Venice?

Trixie21

We are cruising from Venice next June on rhapsody of the seas.

We want to spend a few days pre cruise in Venice and my question is how many days is about right to see the major sights in Venice without rushing around like manic tourists!

Would like this to be a lesuirely stay as our cruise is very port intensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we embarked on a HAL cruise in Venice several years ago, we rented an apartment for a week before we left. This was our second week long stay in Venice and we were never bored. Once the day trippers and cruisers leave in the afternoon Venice becomes a fairly quiet town.You take your time and wander. We had a seven day vaparetto pass which also allowed us to ride the bus on the Lido. For example, the Accademia is open until 7:15 PM. After 4 PM the crowds are small.

I would try to arrive four days prior to the cruise.

It will give you the day of arrival to get over the jet lag with a little touring the first day and then a full three days after that.

Certainly if you want to spend more time that is always nice but I really think three full days of touring will work well.

Keith

We just did this very same thing early June this year. Venice was very crowded and pretty hot & humid. That being said it depends on how much you want to see and do in Venice. If you want to wait in lines to go into the major attractions then you will need a minimum of 2 days. We used the Hop On Hop Off boat (27 euro/48 hr) to get us around comfortably.

I think at least 3 days. We have stayed in Venice a total of 8 days and still haven't seen it all. Decide your must dos and we can give you a better idea of time. Buy tickets online before you leave home.

Agree with most of the other posts. A minimum of 3 days is good and more days are better. Many cruisers (and tourists) only focus on St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge areas....but there is so much more to Venice and the other nearby lagoon islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido, etc). A multi-day Vaporetto Pass will give you access to everything....assuming you are mobile and able to do a lot of walking. On our many visits to Venice (probably totaling about 3 weeks) we have walked ourselves silly....trying to explore just about every foot of Venice and Burano (our two favorite islands). Spend some time walking around Venice and the Islands and you will be rewarded with many picturesque views/sites and lots of cute shops, cafes, etc. Spend your time in the main tourist areas and you might quickly grow to hate the city because of the overcrowding (especially during the day time) and sometimes ridiculous pricing (not always disclosed until you get the bill). St Marks Square still holds our personal record for finding the most expensive cup of java....which was just over $20 (for a single cup). Go 1 block away...and that same coffee would be no more then 2 €.

Hank

Thanks for the responses .

It was a toss up between 2 or 3 days pre cruise (pesky work getting in the way again) so looks like 3 days.

What are the key things not to miss , bearing in mind a couple of our party are getting on in years and not up to huge amounts of walking in one burst. Also want to leave time for a bit of leisurely wandering.

I have asked a question before about hotels - at the moment I am looking at locando orseolo , but any other suggestions are very welcome.

As others have said, a full week is best.

2 or 3 days would be needed for the main sites, another day for the islands, and certainly at least another 3 or 4 for simply walking around the different sestieri, of which there are 6.

Even on days which are crowded with tourists around the main sites, we have walked different sestieri and often found ourselves almost alone. You see a totally different side of Venice and walking these is a joy.

Search the internet for DIY self- guided walking tours of each of them and enjoy leisurely strolls with much of interest along the way. You will get lost a few times, because that is Venice, but it is easy to get back on track.

You could walk these in daytime and hit the bigger sights in the evenings when the cruise ships have left.

We are cruising from Venice next June on rhapsody of the seas.

We want to spend a few days pre cruise in Venice and my question is how many days is about right to see the major sights in Venice without rushing around like manic tourists!

Would like this to be a lesuirely stay as our cruise is very port intensive.

We spend 2 days and I am so unhappy and can not wait to go back. I would say 3-4 min. or a week if you can afford it.

We took the hop on hop off boat which is 20 euro for 1 day or 27 euro for two full days. The vaporetto is 20 euro for one day. Unlike the vaporetto the HOHO boat it is not crowded and you don't really need to wait in line. It goes to Murano and Lido as well as the major sites in Venice proper,

We also have a limited time. If you can only stay 2-3 days what are the must-see attractions? My main purpose is Murano Island because I love glass art - what else would be a high priority?

My opinion: there are no "must see" attractions anywhere. You have to choose based on what your interests are. Something that is a "must see" for someone is a bore and waste of valuable time for another.

I'm an odd duck. I had two things I had to do/see in Venice: look at all the mask makers (and buy one) and go to Murano. I make jewelry. I spent a day just wandering around on Murano, looking at all the beads and jewelry (getting ideas for my own). I was looking in one window of a store that was closed. An older woman inside saw me and opened the door for me. I didn't speak Italian, she didn't speak English, but we had a wonderful "conversation" about different beads made on Murano - she also showed me a book on Murano bead history. I bought a few antique millefiore and chevrons from her (I have a thing for old African trade beads). It was one of those encounters you cannot plan for with a "must see" itinerary ;) You will love Murano!!

We arrived 3 days prior to the cruise. We spent the days exploring outside Venice (Padua, Vicenza) and the evenings (incl hotel) in Venice where crowds were low and everyone left for the day. We explored the palace and tower the morning of embarkation. Everyone has their priorities and what/how they want to explore places. For me, Venice is great for walking and exploring which can be done early or late in days without crowds and Roma gypsies running around.

We took the hop on hop off boat which is 20 euro for 1 day or 27 euro for two full days. The vaporetto is 20 euro for one day. Unlike the vaporetto the HOHO boat it is not crowded and you don't really need to wait in line. It goes to Murano and Lido as well as the major sites in Venice proper,

Just wanted to post a contrarian view. We do not think a lot of that HoHo boat. Why? For one thing, it generally runs about once every 60 minutes. And I do not believe it goes out to Burano (one of our favorite places in the Venice area). The Vaporettos that run around Venice (#1 and #2) run every few minutes and with other routes running at various frequency. Bottom line is that with the Vaporettos you can get anywhere in the Lagoon or around Venice.

Another problem with the HoHo boat is that it stops running at 5:30pm (or 3:30 in the off season) while Vaporettos run in the evening (until late...when you can get night boats).

Hank

I think at least 3 days. We have stayed in Venice a total of 8 days and still haven't seen it all. Decide your must dos and we can give you a better idea of time. Buy tickets online before you leave home.

Agree, three days you can see the major sights.

Just wanted to post a contrarian view. We do not think a lot of that HoHo boat. Why? For one thing, it generally runs about once every 60 minutes. And I do not believe it goes out to Burano (one of our favorite places in the Venice area). The Vaporettos that run around Venice (#1 and #2) run every few minutes and with other routes running at various frequency. Bottom line is that with the Vaporettos you can get anywhere in the Lagoon or around Venice.

Another problem with the HoHo boat is that it stops running at 5:30pm (or 3:30 in the off season) while Vaporettos run in the evening (until late...when you can get night boats).

Hank

Hank- thank you. Both are very good points to add. There is also the private water bus service Alilaguna to consider and of course the expensive water taxi or gondola.

Hank- thank you. Both are very good points to add. There is also the private water bus service Alilaguna to consider and of course the expensive water taxi or gondola.

Ok, so lets get into the nitty gritty :). There are two different "water bus" companies.... one are the so-called Vaporettos (operated by the ACTV) company) and the other is the Alilaguna. Both are decent companies, but there are many more Vaporettos and they tend to run more frequently to most (not all) places. But most folks who are in Venice more then a few hours will want to use a number of these water buses and this gets very expensive if buying single trip tickets. So most of use opt to purchase a timed ticket...and that is why we use the Vaporettos. You can buy a 24, 48, 72, 96 .....hour vaporetto ticket which gives you unlimited use of all the vaporettos. But vaporetto tickets are worthless on the Alilaguna...for which you have to buy an Alilaguna ticket. So we seldon use an Alilaguna boat....although we should mention that the Alilaguna is an option to/from the airport....while there are no vaporetto lines that go to the airport.

Hank

Thanks for the responses .

It was a toss up between 2 or 3 days pre cruise (pesky work getting in the way again) so looks like 3 days.

What are the key things not to miss , bearing in mind a couple of our party are getting on in years and not up to huge amounts of walking in one burst. Also want to leave time for a bit of leisurely wandering.

I have asked a question before about hotels - at the moment I am looking at locando orseolo , but any other suggestions are very welcome.

My suggestion was going to be to stay as centrally located as possible to maximize your time. It appears you've already considered that.(Your choice looks amazing.) We just completed our second trip (5 nights in total) and I can't wait to go back. Our party of 8 stayed at Locanda San Barnaba, a charming boutique hotel, just steps from the Rezzonico stop on the grand canal, or directly accessible by water taxi. (This was important to us to avoid hauling luggage.) It was easily walkable to the major sites, and in an area of reasonable restaurants. My second suggestion is to consider the availability of air conditioning in whichever hotel you book. We were there in May and it was hot and humid (our hotel did have AC :), but had not turned it on yet :().

Since you asked for suggestions of what to see and do you might consider a tour, perhaps not the main sights, but somerhing that includes places that might be missed.

We spent our first full day with a private guide who I can't recommend highly enough.

http://www.seevenice.it/en/

My favorite part was the private water taxi tour that took us through the "back roads" canals, and areas less traveled. When we return, and I'm sure I will someday, I will look forward to another day with Luisella.