Trouble filling ships?

CruisingUS

Every X ship will sails almost entirely full. The question is how heavily they had to discount those final cabins to get there. They don't publicize that info.

Passenger volume has actually decreased in recent years along with capacity. X hasn't added a new ship since Reflection in 2012 while disposing of Zenith and Century.

Parent Royal does regularly brag about strong advance bookings at X, however it will be interesting to see what happens if they continue to edge toward non-refundable deposits. That would likely put an end to folks holding deposits on multiple cruises they may or may not take and cause the rest of us to book closer to sailing.

That poster is a shill for Carnival. I would take any of his postings with a HUGE grain of salt.

After reading more of his posts, it seems that this is the case.

Every X ship will sails almost entirely full. The question is how heavily they had to discount those final cabins to get there. They don't publicize that info.

Passenger volume has actually decreased in recent years along with capacity. X hasn't added a new ship since Reflection in 2012 while disposing of Zenith and Century.

Parent Royal does regularly brag about strong advance bookings at X, however it will be interesting to see what happens if they continue to edge toward non-refundable deposits. That would likely put an end to folks holding deposits on multiple cruises they may or may not take and cause the rest of us to book closer to sailing.

Very true. I will just keep my eyes pealed. I possibly will try to snag a last minute deal next year when I have vacation time. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The question is how heavily they had to discount those final cabins to get there. They don't publicize that info.

They may not publicize pricing information post cruise, but cabin prices, discounted or otherwise, are readily available on Celebrity's website and those of many travel agencies. Also, Cruise Critic and some other websites will email you with price drops for any cruise in which you have an interest.

Based on these tools and reading the Celebrity board, I'm pretty confident in saying that there's not much heavy discounting going on.

My TA told me that bookings are down 75% on European river cruises and Mediterranean cruises but this was for all cruise lines. I am guessing this reality is what led to X pulling Equinox out of the Mediterranean and leave her in the Caribbean year round. It worked for me since I jumped on the offering.

Yeah, No.

If you heard that Celebrity is having trouble filling ships, don't believe it for a minute.

As a shareholder, and a customer, here are the numbers that I care about:

In the first quarter of 2017:

RCL (Celebrity's parent company) had adjusted earnings per share that were 74% higher than last year.

RCL raised the full-year net guidance.

RCL raised the full-year adjusted earnings per share.

RCL's CEO states, "looking forward to the 5th consecutive year of double digit earnings growth".

Yes you read correctly: DOUBLE DIGIT EARNINGS GROWTH. 5 years running.

Oh and in case you haven't noticed, the stock is pretty close to an all-time high.

And while we are on the subject of travel agents, mine tells me that she has never, in a 30+ year career in the industry, seen any buzz for a ship coming in to the marketplace like she has for the Edge.

We should all be having this kind of "trouble"!!!

By Champagne Cruise: QUOTE. TA told me that bookings are down 75% on European river cruises and Mediterranean cruises but this was for all cruise lines. I am guessing this reality is what led to X pulling Equinox out of the Mediterranean and leave her in the Caribbean year round. /QUOTE]

Quote by

My

"It worked for me since I jumped on the offering"

Same here. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, No.

If you heard that Celebrity is having trouble filling ships, don't believe it for a minute.

As a shareholder, and a customer, here are the numbers that I care about:

In the first quarter of 2017:

RCL (Celebrity's parent company) had adjusted earnings per share that were 74% higher than last year.

RCL raised the full-year net guidance.

RCL raised the full-year adjusted earnings per share.

RCL's CEO states, "looking forward to the 5th consecutive year of double digit earnings growth".

Yes you read correctly: DOUBLE DIGIT EARNINGS GROWTH. 5 years running.

Oh and in case you haven't noticed, the stock is pretty close to an all-time high.

And while we are on the subject of travel agents, mine tells me that she has never, in a 30+ year career in the industry, seen any buzz for a ship coming in to the marketplace like she has for the Edge.

We should all be having this kind of "trouble"!!!

Lovely stats, let us know when you find them for Celebrity and not the Parent Company.

I believe this might be the same poster that claimed that Royal is having problems filling the Oasis class.Totally unbelievable. As for the TA, maybe he is finding that in his own bookings, not the industry.

They are indeed lovely stats!

Are you under the impression that Celebrity is underperforming?

I have no idea. There is no info publically posted on the subsidiaries, just the parent company. Yes, RCL, the parent is doing well although they've always carried a ton of debt - how Azamara and Celebrity are fairing, we don't know.

I have no idea. There is no info publically posted on the subsidiaries, just the parent company. Yes, RCL, the parent is doing well although they've always carried a ton of debt - how Azamara and Celebrity are fairing, we don't know.

According to this 2015 Fortune article Celebrity Cruises charts a course for more growth (http://fortune.com/2015/04/09/celebrity-cruises-growth-plan/):

The second-largest cruise company by revenue and passenger-load is planning to add another two ships to its current fleet of 11 over the next few years, greatly increasing its capacity in anticipation of continued growth.

That growth will come from a variety of sources: a bigger focus on the Chinese tourists who are
the cruising industry's boom, an even bigger focus on retail and culinary experiences, and, crucially, for an industry often associated with retirees, attracting the next generation of customers.

Second place in revenue and passenger-load sounds pretty healthy to me.

According to this 2015 Fortune article Celebrity Cruises charts a course for more growth (http://fortune.com/2015/04/09/celebrity-cruises-growth-plan/):

The second-largest cruise company by revenue and passenger-load is planning to add another two ships to its current fleet of 11 over the next few years, greatly increasing its capacity in anticipation of continued growth.

That growth will come from a variety of sources: a bigger focus on the Chinese tourists who are
the cruising industry's boom, an even bigger focus on retail and culinary experiences, and, crucially, for an industry often associated with retirees, attracting the next generation of customers.

They never had a stronger quarter or stronger year, so I think whoever posted it was mistaken or misinformed

This is a customer oriented site, not a shareholer focused one. For most of us flat rates and higher expenses (better service) are good things. But since you talk about revenue...

X isn't the second largest cruise line, just second largest in the RCCL family. Even there with 23k berths X only accounts for 20% of total company. And after disposing of Zenith and Century they've slipped from 11 ships to 9. That's growth in reverse. In the past five years X has received no new ships while sister lines Royal and TUI added four each, totaling 27k berths. Yes, there are 4 Edge class ships on order, but also 2 Oasis's and 2 Quantum's which are twice as large plus 3 TUI's. Shows where the company's strategic focus lies.

I'm a satisfied stockholder too and have no idea where bookings are. But hope earnings growth comes from additions to fleet, and lately that hasn't been X.