Trouble filling ships?

CruisingUS

A poster on a different board on this website said that Celebrity is having trouble filling their cruise ships. I normally would dismiss these comments, but this poster allegedly works as a TA and says to have solid information. I won't name this poster. But I would like to get your thoughts on this manner.

Thanks

Edited by CruisingUS

A poster on a different board on this website said that Celebrity is having trouble filling their cruise ships. I won't name this poster. But I would like to get your thoughts on this manner.

Not the sailings we've booked. Cabins keep disappearing faster than we can snap our fingers. [emoji33] I will say, last year X decided to pull one of their ships out of Europe and redeploy it to the Caribbean due to soft bookings for that market, so that might be what that poster was referring to. As a result, some of us got fantastic incentives to book that particular ships, and because so many booked it, the incentives were taken off the table earlier than the advertised window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't belive they have any more trouble filling their ships than any other cruise line. Some itineraries are more popular than others and you might find some great incentives to book on the sailings that don't sell as quickly ,,,, but nothing more than you see on other lines.

If they are having trouble, it will be reflected in the price of their cruises. If the prices are dropping way below normal, or if they're parking ships and not sailing them, or selling them off, then I guess that would be a sign. If it's hard to tell but for a travel agent mentioning it, then I doubt it's a big problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I kind of wished they were in trouble so that I could get more discounts, lol. I haven't sailed with them yet, so IDK what the past trends were like.

I am excited for my new cruise though

Haha, I agree. Every time I read a post from someone complaining about how things aren't what they used to be and they're going to stop cruising, I wish they would actually do that. If they did, the prices would be going way down instead of up. It's still a good value for the money though, and I haven't been priced out yet.

We are on the Constellation in early September, Venice to Barcelona. The only thing left are a few very expensive suites. It has been that way for many months so on this cruise, I don't think they are having any problems filling the ship.

Maybe the TA is having problems attracting clients who would book an X sailing and can only book the super Mega ships?

Without more info on what was meant, how can we make an informed comment on this?

Most sailings I have been on (90%+) are over 90% booked... have to the TA come here and tell us what was meant or the intent of the comment... in fact what is the reason the OP will not disclose the person or board about this? After all, it is a 'public' forum, unless they were told in a private message.

bon voyage

I wish it were true.

My upcoming So American cruise on the Infinity next November is listed as sold-out. I am trying to move my cabin for a more desirable spot and having no luck. Also, my next 2 cruises have all jumped in price, one significantly, from what I payed. I did book them soon after being announced.

Back 10 years ago, during the recession, you could snag a nice deal. Not many now. I do have my eye on one after final payment date.

A poster on a different board on this website said that Celebrity is having trouble filling their cruise ships. I normally would dismiss these comments, but this poster allegedly works as a TA and says to have solid information. I won't name this poster. But I would like to get your thoughts on this manner.

Thanks

All you need do is look at one of the quarter reports that list pax numbers. Also that there have yet to be any 'flash deep discount' sales, and fares are going up n up.

We sailed on the Celebrity Reflection last month (Mediterranean) and our ship was completely full. We booked 2 months prior and the only thing that was available was GTY inside rooms. We got lucky and were assigned an accessible inside stateroom on Deck 9 which was larger than our balcony rooms.

I don't think Celebrity is having problems filling all their ships, especially seeing the prices for Med cruises.

All you need do is look at one of the quarter reports that list pax numbers. Also that there have yet to be any 'flash deep discount' sales, and fares are going up n up.

Have you looked at them? I only ask as I don't personally want to dig into that, let alone understand them. lol

Haha, I agree. Every time I read a post from someone complaining about how things aren't what they used to be and they're going to stop cruising, I wish they would actually do that. If they did, the prices would be going way down instead of up. It's still a good value for the money though, and I haven't been priced out yet.

Haha, me too. If you don't like a product, don't buy. I will...w/ a deeper discount too.

Thanks

Perhaps the problem is the TA. Just read the stockholder reports and see the booking trends on RCL products. Some might call the TA'S report "fake news".

Have you looked at them? I only ask as I don't personally want to dig into that, let alone understand them. lol

Here's a chart on occupancy for RCCL (the parent company) that shows occupancy is growing over the past four years, from 104.7% to last year's 106.4%. I couldn't find a similar chart showing just Celebrity. Based on this, they are not having trouble "filling ships".

I wish Cruise Critic would put on their big boy pants and allow file attachments larger than 19kb, but here's a screen shot of the chart: RCCL-Occupancy-106-percent

The 2016 annual report is at http://www.rclcorporate.com/content/uploads/2016-Form-10-K-RCL-ir.pdf (PDF file). Page 19 has why cruising is a tax dodge.

If they are having trouble, it will be reflected in the price of their cruises. If the prices are dropping way below normal, or if they're parking ships and not sailing them, or selling them off, then I guess that would be a sign. If it's hard to tell but for a travel agent mentioning it, then I doubt it's a big problem.

Never heard of a cruise line just "parking" a ship; their fixed costs are too great to make that decision.

Thanks

Three of our cruises for 2018 are sold out except for inside. I would not want that poster that said they were a t/a to be my travel agent. They apparently don't know what they are talking about.

For a cruise I have on Celebrity later this year, the price of my category cabin has increased by 114% since I booked it.

I doubt that prices can more than double if Celebrity is having a problem filling the ship with passengers.

Thanks

That poster is a shill for Carnival. I would take any of his postings with a HUGE grain of salt.

I have no insight into whether they are filling their ships or not but I was pretty surprised on some recent price drops on our Hawaii cruise after final payment. The prices were sky high, higher than I'd ever seen them for this cruise $4,000 us pp for a 1a. Which to me signalled a demand. After final payment a balcony guarantee is $1,499 and every category except the Royal Suite is open. Maybe if the prices weren't so high in the first place they wouldn't be trying to fill the ships at bargain prices. We can find numbers on occupancy, but we don't know at what price they're paying.

Thanks

Not the 2 I just got off of!

You can always find a few cruises that need some help to fill, but these are the rare exception. The claim made by the statement quoted by the OP has been debunked by testimony and statistical evidence from Celebrity.