Best of Cartagena Tour

SusieS

Hi! We will be on the Royal Princess Mediterranean cruise starting July 22nd, for 14 days. I would love to get honest feedback on Princess's Best of Cartagena excursion. Has anyone done this? Thanks!

Waste of money IMHO. We were on the Royal for the TA this past April and stopped in Cartagena. I did my research in advance. All the places that tour goes to you can do yourself. The ship docks right there at the ancient city. It is such an easy port to DIY.

Have you heard of Tomsportguides.com? He has such wonderful info especially for that port. I printed out his walking tour map before we left home. Here is a link to that specific guide:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/cartagena-spain-08-20-2013.pdf

We followed his walking tour except we went over to the Punic Wall. Looks far on the map but it is not.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by dickinson

We enjoyed the Princess excursion to the mud volcano. It also stopped at the base of the fortress on the way to the mud volcano and for shopping on the way back. I'm not certain Princess still offers this excursion, but if they do, I recommend it.

One tip - The first place on the walking tour is the Roman Theater & Museum. The signs were not well posted (while waiting I saw a small sign at the side of the counter) but if you are a senior there is a reduced price. Also I did not see anything about this but overheard someone paying in front of us that you can purchase a combo ticket which included the Roman Theater, I think the Roman Forum and then also the Panoramic Lift (to go to Concepcion Castle). I just went to their website and it does not even mention a combination ticket! We saved several Euros each. It was a pleasant surprise. Make sure you ask!

Recently did June 24th western med cruise with stop at Cartagena. We did on our own - just walked around and visited the Roman Theater Museum (very worthwhile) and Roman Forum (mostly baths). Recommend doing on own - heard from others that did Princess excursion that they would have preferred to do on own. Like Dickinson mentioned we saw sign for combo ticket (I think 12E pp) but we chose not to hit all the sites. With other long touring days it worked out well for us just to spend a few hours there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just returned from a 14 day Med Cruise. We went on a Princess Tour that both of us LOVED. It was a walking tour only and we went to 5 different restaurants. We both enjoyed the different types of tapas and we could have our favorite drink. The cost was very reasonable and we also visited a few sites of the town. Just a suggestion but remember it is walking.