Docking in Southhampton flying out of Gatwick.

Duffysmom

:eek:Our ship docks in Southampton and we booked a flight from Gatwick to Orlando which leaves at 1:30pm that same day. We did book a transfer with Princess but my DH thinks the flight time is too early. I know Princess will take responsibility should the unexpected happen but flying internationally is such a trial I don't want to cause my 84 year old husband unnecessary stress. Help!!

If the 1:30 flight time is within Princess' guidelines then Princess will get you there. Check your cruise personlizer. But, my choice would be to arrange a private transfer and cancel the Princess transfer. Try contacting Smiths for Airports. They provided us with excellent service in 2016. They can also advise how much time is required.

I'm just back from my Norwegian cruise on the Crown Princess and here is what we did.

Princess could not guarantee making a I:00 pm flight from Gatwick to Orlando on their transfer. The time had to be after 2:00 PM.

Having done this transfer on our British Isles cruise with no problem, we realized they were docking at 7:00 am instead of 5:00 am.

We still felt we could meet the time if we had a private driver. We used self walkoff and we were off the ship at 7:10 am and at Gatwick by 9:15. No problem at all. The trip is an hour and a half in normal traffic.

This past April we had a transfer from Southampton to Heathrow for a 1:30 flight and we got there with plenty of time to spare. I think Gatwick is further, but not by much. I am an early to the airport person and everything went very smoothly for us. I hope that helps.

With the flight time, I would book a private transfer so you and not Princess and fellow passengers would be in control. Normally you would be in time with the Princess Transfer but 3 years ago we sat on the bus waiting for 4 more passengers - one in a wheelchair who couldn't be located after being turned over to a ship's crew member for disembarkation. We finally left not arriving at Heathrow until after 11 a.m. - there were several panicked folks on the bus who had flights prior to 1 p;m. (Princess guarantees after 2 p.m. from Southampton). You just never know including traffic. Have a great cruise!.

It will also depend on the arrival time in Southampton.

The train however takes 2 hours.

You could do it easily IF you can do self walk-off or can get to be first off if in a suite.

Plenty of taxis about to get you to the station.

I'll go to bat for the Princess transfer from SOU. We've used it twice and it was fast and efficient both times.

To SOU however I've booked Smiths for our September journey.

Thank you for the great information. What would I do without CC, it has helped me more than I can say on many occasions.

The non stop flight we want is out of Gatwick so we decided to stay overnight and leave the next morning thus avoiding feeling stressed.

Thank you for the great information. What would I do without CC, it has helped me more than I can say on many occasions.

The non stop flight we want is out of Gatwick so we decided to stay overnight and leave the next morning thus avoiding feeling stressed.

Sounds like a very good stress free decision. Have a Great Cruise!!

My DH is 83, in good health... even so, we did a private car service and stayed overnight... when we returned to Southhampton... a lot better... We always take a taxi or do a private car service in any port... planning to stay over night on our return from a TA to Florida in Novemeber.... things happen... better plan to avoid problems then not as we get older. Flying today is not challenging... no reason to add more stress. Have a great trip.

i