Rhine Weather Early October

rubinstein2r

You can go to weather dot com to get the historical averages. From my experience though it could be mild to rainy and chilly with everything in between. I remember we had a few thunderstorms as well. Wear layers with at least one of them being waterproof.

You can go to weather dot com to get the historical averages. From my experience though it could be mild to rainy and chilly with everything in between. I remember we had a few thunderstorms as well. Wear layers with at least one of them being waterproof.

For summer trips I look at the historical average high and last year's high. For winter trips, I guess I would change that to historical average low and last year's low -- but our winter trips are from NY to the Florida and Alabama gulf coast so those numbers are quite reassuring.

We are going the first two weeks in October. Neither summer nor winter. I know to be prepared for rain but should I expect hit or cold? Will there be a big change as we go from Switzerland to Germany/France and then Netherlands?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going the first two weeks in October. Neither summer nor winter. I know to be prepared for rain but should I expect hit or cold? Will there be a big change as we go from Switzerland to Germany/France and then Netherlands?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Castles along the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel at that time of year, and also spent time after the trip in Lucerne and Zurich. We had a bit of rain, but most days were sunny. I usually had a waterproof jacket with a hood, sometimes with a sweatshirt underneath, but I was constantly peeling off or adding layers as needed. It's a good time of year to go, as it's usually neither too cold nor too warm.

As you sail along the weather will change with the microclimates. Expect night frost potentially in Switzerland but cool not frosty temperatures during the day. You might want a comfy jacket to keep you warm if you are going up to Mount Pilatus (others might be able to give you figures). Germany is a little warmer. It can anything between 5 degrees at night (not often) to 25 degrees in the afternoon (not often). Expect rain but not too much (not that cold unpleasant "wetting" rain). I tend to find temperatures quite agreable and am usually fine with a slong-sleeved t-shirt and light jacket or leather jacket if it is cool. Layers are a good idea. Remember to take good shoes! The Netherlands tend to be a bit wetter and cooler than Germany but the difference is not great. For windy days on the boat you might want to take a hat.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Just check the forecasts a bit before you go. We have pictures where it's sunny and Indian fall like, just delightful October weather;we experienced brisk mornings ( think gloves and scarves); and then, we have the gloomy pics as well under umbrellas! Different route, but just had 2 balmy weekends in London, separated by 4 and a half days of rain, wind and sweater weather,

Sent from my iPad using Forums