Half Moon Cay Provisioning

shof515

When I was in Half Moon Cay via the Carnival Sunshine, I arrived back to the ship during the late afternoon and watched from deck 3 the supply boat Half Moon Clipper load all of the food waste, supplies and other items back on board. Everything that was consumed on the island, needs to be brought back to the ship, nothing can remain on the island.

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

DSC02019.jpg

For smaller items, they use those luggage carts and wrap everything in what looks like cellophane to prevent things from falling out of the carts on the regular tender boats

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

Its crazy to think of all of the extra work the crew has to do with bringing food and supplies to the island and then bring everything back on board at the end of the day

I was once on an early tender to the island (yay for priority!), and there were more supplies and Carnival crew on the boat than guests. It was pretty remarkable all of the cooks and materials/supplies they were moving. Best part for my wife and me was that the photographers were also on that tender, so that when we got off the boat, they weren't setup to take the mug shots in front of that same 'ol HMC banner.

Thank goodness for their efforts. Not only is HMC a big slice of Heaven, but I love the lunch buffet. I will never tire of it. I am pretty sure I can tell all the chickens apart now as well, they are like old friends!

We took the HMC island tour last year. Our guide told us that, every morning, she takes an hour long bus ride to the port on her home island, then an hour long boat ride to HMC. Then does it all over again in reverse in the evening. All in all, a four hour commute every day. Yikes! She was an awesome guide! :)

Lots going on behind the scenes.

It was pretty remarkable all of the cooks and materials/supplies they were moving.

When the topic of AutoTipping vs Removing Tips comes up because people only want to tip those they have face to face contact with, this thread should be a reminder that a lot of effort goes on "behind the scenes" to provide passengers with a good time.

This is only 1 example.

Yep. And all the booze needs to be brought over. The bartenders hate when they get stuck with that duty. Wonder if that's in part one of the real reasons why they don't accept Cheers on HMC. They claim it's because they can't have real time communication with the ship to charge it against your Cheers account, but I suspect it's because they can make a lot more money by making people pay for drinks. Couple that with having to haul all the liquor and I'm sure it would be even more if people could use Cheers.

It's too bad that don't have a way to securely store supplies on the island especially since Holland America also calls there and it seems like there is a ship of some sort there a few times a week at least.

Yep. And all the booze needs to be brought over. The bartenders hate when they get stuck with that duty. Wonder if that's in part one of the real reasons why they don't accept Cheers on HMC. They claim it's because they can't have real time communication with the ship to charge it against your Cheers account, but I suspect it's because they can make a lot more money by making people pay for drinks. Couple that with having to haul all the liquor and I'm sure it would be even more if people could use Cheers.

It's too bad that don't have a way to securely store supplies on the island especially since Holland America also calls there and it seems like there is a ship of some sort there a few times a week at least.

I think it's mostly perishable items and waste that is not secured on the island.

It's a job and their paid to do it. Lots of behind the scenes go on on land vacations to. I Don't sweat the small stuff :cool: I just enjoy my vacation that I have paid for.

When the topic of AutoTipping vs Removing Tips comes up because people only want to tip those they have face to face contact with, this thread should be a reminder that a lot of effort goes on "behind the scenes" to provide passengers with a good time. This is only 1 example.

Excellent point! Gratitude is a gift to the giver as well as the receiver. :cool:

I remember when NCL's Aloha went to Fanning Island, and not only did we have to bring the food and service items back and forth, but the engineers spent the entire port stay pumping diesel fuel to bladders on small boats that were landed for the island's generators.

I was once on an early tender to the island (yay for priority!), and there were more supplies and Carnival crew on the boat than guests. It was pretty remarkable all of the cooks and materials/supplies they were moving. Best part for my wife and me was that the photographers were also on that tender, so that when we got off the boat, they weren't setup to take the mug shots in front of that same 'ol HMC banner.

lol I always tell them "no" that I don't want my pictures taken with the cheesy signs when I get off at any port.It gets annoying that it backs up the line sometimes though for those that want those pictures.