Internet on Transatlantic

ravinblue

We will be on the Eclipse sailing Southampton to Miami this fall. The unlimited internet package is $287. Before I spend that much, I'd like to be certain that WiFi will be useably fast those days in the middle of the Atlantic. Can anyone who has done a TA since Celebrity "upgraded" their system (?do they call it Xcelerate or something) care to comment?

Thanks,

Frank

I have not used it on a trans ocean trip but I know it is satillite based so being close to land is a non issue. The issues you will have are the loss of satillite connection in rough seas if you hit them and an overload of users on those long sea days. The system is definately faster than the old system was but with all of the unlimited packages they sell and give out as perks the system does get overloaded, especially on a sea day when everyone is on board.

It was decent enough on the Eclipse Miami/Southampton TA in April. I used it for Facebook, iinternet, downloading books, and email, but no live streaming. We lost internet as we approached the U.K. for 12-24 hours when they switched from the Bermuda (????) satellite to the European satellite.

If you have loyalty status, you can call the Captain's Club and get the discounted applied and pay over the phone. It is cheaper to buy precruise than it is onboard.

I spoke with others who cruised the Eclipse TA last year and they did not have any issues with the internet. I had the same concerns as you for our cruise but we did decide to pay for the internet for this years TA. Hope the information I received was correct and our internet works well. We will see you on the Eclipse in October..

We have done many TAs and the internet service really varies depending on atmospherics, location, and usage. The last can be the biggest problem....especially as more and more folks get unlimited internet. Satellite coverage is expensive (for the cruise line) and they tend to purchase a limited amount of bandwidth. Think of bandwidth as a big pipe or water...and the more simultaneous the less water pressure for each user. Cruise ships skim off the necessary bandwidth for their own operations and make the rest available to passengers. But on sea days, many folks get bored and use the internet. When you say "usably fast" we are not sure what you mean. But speed will be nothing close to what you get on land....and might often be at a snails pace or not even connect.

Hank