Streaming Shows on Princess Ships

shirazcruiser

It's been a few years since we've sailed on Princess and I can't find any info on Princess internet speed or streaming capabilities. RCCL has VOOM with the speed ability to stream shows from your iPad. Also, does anyone know the brand of TV's on both Star and Royal ships and if the HDMI port is accessible? The brand of TV will let me be prepared with a universal remote to change the input.

It's been a few years since we've sailed on Princess and I can't find any info on Princess internet speed or streaming capabilities. RCCL has VOOM with the speed ability to stream shows from your iPad. Also, does anyone know the brand of TV's on both Star and Royal ships and if the HDMI port is accessible? The brand of TV will let me be prepared with a universal remote to change the input.

Televisions are Viewsonic and possibly some Samsungs. Also, check this earlier thread out.....:):):)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2471003&highlight=royal+televisions

Bob

Generally slow. Princess blocks access to some sites, but I don't know if the specific site you wish to access will be blocked or not blocked. The cost for pre-purchase is 680mins@$199, 460mins@$159, 240mins@$99, 120mins@$69. Even if you can stream a show it seems pretty expensive to do it.

On the Royal the screen is mounted on the wall and I don't believe you can get behind it to attach anything. On the Star the screen is on a shelf that originally held a CRT TV. It is a smaller screen then on the Royal. The Royal has on demand TV with shows, movies and other content. The Star does not have it.

Believe the brands are Viewsonic.

Televisions are Viewsonic and possibly some Samsungs. Also, check this earlier thread out.....:):):)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2471003&highlight=royal+televisions

Bob

Thanks for responding and providing the above thread. It's very helpful and a suggestion of a HDMI splitter is something I had never heard of.

Generally slow. Princess blocks access to some sites, but I don't know if the specific site you wish to access will be blocked or not blocked. The cost for pre-purchase is 680mins@$199, 460mins@$159, 240mins@$99, 120mins@$69. Even if you can stream a show it seems pretty expensive to do it.

On the Royal the screen is mounted on the wall and I don't believe you can get behind it to attach anything. On the Star the screen is on a shelf that originally held a CRT TV. It is a smaller screen then on the Royal. The Royal has on demand TV with shows, movies and other content. The Star does not have it.

Believe the brands are Viewsonic.

Thanks for the info. We're on 2 different B2B cruises with some Platinum complimentary internet minutes so we might try to watch a few shows.

I will probably get flamed for this, but just a reminder that the bandwidth on the ship is not great. Streaming will slow connection speed for everyone. I believe this is the main reason they discontinued the unlimited internet for elites years ago. People were streaming or downloading movies in their cabins.

I believe this is the main reason they discontinued the unlimited internet for elites years ago. People were streaming or downloading movies in their cabins.
There were several reasons. The primary one is that Princess changed satellite carriers and changed the way people logged in. Before, you just swiped your cruise card in a reader. This was before many had the capability of streaming videos and most used the ship's Internet Cafe.

Another reason is that people, mostly kids, were logging on, playing online games, and when done, leaving the computer logged on so their friends could do the same without paying.

It was relatively few who did this but they were using something like 75-80% of the online time. Analytics determined that over 90% of the users used the Internet for less than fifteen minutes at a time.