Princess & Cuba

This was our first time on NCL and we personally did not enjoy the ship. I know that there are avid NCL cruisers out there, just as there are cruisers loyal to Princess or any other line, but having sailed so much with Princess, we were disappointed in the Sky.

This might be a old post but I just wanted to tell you, typically the Cuba itineraries for all of the cruise lines are use the older smaller ships. So you might have a better experience a newer ship with NCL.

Edited by Rognish

The Cuba board on here has lots of info and people have been visiting and enjoying the ports both on their own and with ship sponsored excursions.

We are going to try Oceania in 2019 because their 7 day round trip from Miami cruise goes to 3 ports in Cuba, We don't want an itinerary with other islands we really want to see Cuba as the rest of the world has been doing for many many years. The ship overnights in Havana and then goes to 2 other cities.

I am looking forward to exploring a new country!

The Cuba board on here has lots of info and people have been visiting and enjoying the ports both on their own and with ship sponsored excursions.

We are going to try Oceania in 2019 because their 7 day round trip from Miami cruise goes to 3 ports in Cuba, We don't want an itinerary with other islands we really want to see Cuba as the rest of the world has been doing for many many years. The ship overnights in Havana and then goes to 2 other cities.

I am looking forward to exploring a new country!

We went a month ago on NCL Sky & had an amazing time. Did a tour with Havanajourneys that I highly recommend. Half walking, half driving tour of Havana tailored to what you want to see. $100 total for 2 or 3 people. I can't wait to go again.

I will share my husband's and my personal experience of our recent trip to Cuba on NCL Sky. We were on the cruise as part of a family member's birthday celebration. This was our first time on NCL and we personally did not enjoy the ship. I know that there are avid NCL cruisers out there, just as there are cruisers loyal to Princess or any other line, but having sailed so much with Princess, we were disappointed in the Sky. The ship was docked in Havana for two days and we took ship sponsored shore excursions, only because the relatives we were traveling with were not seasoned cruisers and therefore did not inquire or research private tour companies and as such, we opted to tour together and therefore paid much more for excursions than we would have done had we been on our own. Our first experience in getting off the ship was not a pleasant one. The immigration officers were very rude and this was not a good first impression. The washrooms in the terminal also had no toilet paper and I don't mean that they were just out of paper - there were no dispensers at all and I wonder how the staff expect someone to use the toilets without cleaning up. Hmmm? Our first guide was a young fellow who was taking us on a walking tour of the older section of Havana. He had a mic on him but it wasn't loud enough to compete with the street noise and having a large group made it near to impossible to hear him. We encountered beggars at every turn and that got to be a nuisance after a while. They are very insistent and although I acknowledge that Cuba is a poor country and people need to make a living, it was hard to proceed without them being in your personal space. Our guide pointed out mostly places that were shops or hotels and at one point took us into a shop selling cigars, rum and coffee. We got the impression that he most likely got a cut from what we bought as at one point he was behind the counter helping ring up the purchases. Aside from his presentation, we enjoyed the architecture of the old buildings and did learn a bit about the culture and people. Our second tour was mostly by bus and was hosted by a wonderful young lady who was clearly proud of her country and heritage. We saw the newer areas of Havana as well as some of the older ones and we enjoyed her tour tremendously. We also enjoyed a Parisien Cabaret one evening at the Hotel Nationale. Amazing show! Our third day of the cruise was spent at a private island in the Bahamas and then back to Miami for our return flight home. Are we glad that we went - YES. Cuba was definitely an interesting experience but we feel no desire to return there nor would we cruise on NCL again. I apologize in advance for the negativity but this was just my personal experience.

I have been on the Sky twice to Cuba & had totally the opposite experience. If you had done homework you would have known there is no toilet paper in any public toilet. we took a private tour & went to a lot of the places you did (we wanted to go buy cigars, coffee & rum). maybe guide got a commission but would not be a problem for me. We walked around the second day on our own & went to a paladar in a residential area about a 45 minute walk from the ship. No one ever bothered us. We were handing out toiletries & essentials & candy to any one who helped us with directions etc & not one asked for more, nor did anyone else came over to ask for things.

We loved the ship - it was smaller & more intimate than any Princess ship & service was superb. Can't wait to go back again.

I know this isn’t your question but would like to make a suggestion.

If you want the Cuban expierence, consider a land tour rather than a cruise.

We love cruising & are elite with Princess but we chose a land tour of Cuba last year. It was amazing. We went with Vantage Travel. They arranged for our “educational” visa. All accommodations & tours were included as well as most meals.

The people were so friendly & yes, it is a poor country but we were never bothered by people begging (noticed another poster expierenced that)

Happy to answer any questions.

Not to hijack the thread a bit, but I don't get the Cuba love thing. IMHO, I chalk up the Cuba love for the uniqueness factor... "we went to Cuba...." Let's face it, for US folk, it has limited accessibility. That being the case, I believe that is NOT the case for other countries/regions. Canadians, Europeans, Asians, Ausies, etc all can visit, no? If I'm mistaken I truly apologize and likely deserve to be labeled the "ugly American." So why aren't they all already flocking to Cuba?

However, that being said, what is so compelling to go to Cubu? I mean aren't there tons of other likely more interesting and/or fun destinations out there? Heck just in the Caribbean alone it appears that these destinations would be ranked above Cuba. Maybe it's that forbidden fruit thing?

Sorry, if this sounded like a rant.. not meant to be. Maybe some of those wanting or "been there" folks can comment on the strong reasons to want to visit this island? It might also shed some light on why Princess may or may not add it to an itinerary.

Not to hijack the thread a bit, but I don't get the Cuba love thing. IMHO, I chalk up the Cuba love for the uniqueness factor... "we went to Cuba...." Let's face it, for US folk, it has limited accessibility. That being the case, I believe that is NOT the case for other countries/regions. Canadians, Europeans, Asians, Ausies, etc all can visit, no? If I'm mistaken I truly apologize and likely deserve to be labeled the "ugly American." So why aren't they all already flocking to Cuba?

However, that being said, what is so compelling to go to Cubu? I mean aren't there tons of other likely more interesting and/or fun destinations out there? Heck just in the Caribbean alone it appears that these destinations would be ranked above Cuba. Maybe it's that forbidden fruit thing?

Sorry, if this sounded like a rant.. not meant to be. Maybe some of those wanting or "been there" folks can comment on the strong reasons to want to visit this island? It might also shed some light on why Princess may or may not add it to an itinerary.

Well, I will tell you the things we enjoyed.

- scenery (it is beautiful country)

- people (everyone is friendly & service was amazing)

- food (loved it)

- history (made me appreciate not living in a communist country)

- Cars, Cars, Cars

People from all the other countries have been taking land vacations in Cuba for years.They have already flocked there!! Many of us have been multiple times to other Caribbean islands and since it has been difficult to go to Cuba before this we want to try it.

Some of us also love Cuban music and food. It has an interesting history and things to see/do other than just laying around on a beach like on many of the other islands. Sooo that's why Cuba.

Non-Americans already do flock to Cuba, and have been for many years. Even before Americans were allowed to visit, Cuba was getting more tourists than Jamaica, and is the second-most visited island in the Caribbean after the Dominican Republic. For Canadian tourists, Cuba is the usually the third most visited country, after the U.S. and Mexico.

My wife and I are regular cruisers upon Princess Cruise Lines and would like to visit Cuba. Does anyone have any insights into Princess beginning to offer port visits to Cuba? We know that Carnival offers cruises to Cuba but we prefer Princess.

Try another cruise line. We just returned from an 8 day cruise with ports of call at Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuegos, and Havana. On Oceania cruise line. It was a great cruise, and experience. And, the Cuban people are open, warm, and friendly towards Americans. Very safe country unlike other countries in the Caribbean. You should go to Cuba while you still can.

Go with an open mind, and you will enjoy your travel experience. Isn’t that the reason why we travel?

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Well, I will tell you the things we enjoyed.

- scenery (it is beautiful country)

- people (everyone is friendly & service was amazing)

- food (loved it)

- history (made me appreciate not living in a communist country)

- Cars, Cars, Cars

Thanks to you.... and others for the Cuba "pro's" responses. Good to know!:beer-toast:

We first visited Cuba in 2001 on a university sponsored land trip. We went back 15 years later with Fathom, our only repeat stop was Havana. Fathom did a great job. There were only evening extra cost excursions. Tours in each city we visited were included as was lunch. The overnight in Havan we chose to go to a Jazz club on our own. Members of the Buena Vista Social Club were among the performers. music was everywhere you went. Every cafe, restaurant or bar. I noticed less begging this time and a great deal of entrepreneurship among the younger generation. Before the tightening of US tourism by our current government it was possible to fly to Havana from Miami or Ft.Lauderdale , stay in an airBNB, and have a great weekend.

And let's not forget that there are no Starbucks, Hard Rock or other American influences - yet. It makes for a very unique experience. I felt like I was in the 50s with the cars, the safe feeling (even at night), the lack of credit cards, the politeness of the society in general.

I have a travel list of places (some might call it a bucket list) I want to visit and when Cuba opened for U.S. citizens to visit, I added it to the list. My late husband’s maternal great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Asturias, Spain via Cuba. His maternal grandmother was born in Havana while they were waiting to enter the U. S. They finally arrived in Tampa when she was six months old and settled in the Ybor City area of Tampa, her father working in a cigar factory. She lived to be 100 and had memories that she shared from her married life of going to Havana for weekend trips, in the heyday of the clubs.

Our family had visited Asturias where the maternal great-grandparents were from and our visit to Cuba added another prism from which to view the past family history, especially for the younger ones.

We went with Royal Caribbean and had a wonderful experience. Being able to experience the history and culture of Cuba, even for a short period of time, was a memorable one for our family.