How upscale is Oceania?

islandwoman

No, you can't use an iron in your room. You're right about that.

But while sometimes there are lines to use the washers and dryers, I've never seen a line waiting to use the iron! I've very rarely ironed anything myself ... most of our travel things are permanent press and really don't need it. (Maybe they could use it sometimes but they rarely get it!)

Mura

What's all this about ironing? Do you all send your clothes out to be pressed? Or do you waste time standing in line in the laundry room to use the iron? I have never been on a ship that allows irons in the cabins. Perhaps Oceania is different - but wouldn't that be a fire hazard? Or maybe you all own some magic suitcase that prevents wrinkling during the airlines' baggage-crushing transportation?

You got it

we all have magic suitcases ..do not tell :evilsmile:

Personally I would rather go & press the wrinkles out than look like I slept in my clothes

YMMV

I have to admit .. the brochures have enticed me. I have only one personal review from a friend who spent 14 nights in South America and she "absolutely loved it".

I came to this thread wondering myself about clothing. I know the answer is "resort casual", but I am one of those who enjoys getting dolled up for dinner and strolling through the ship to cocktails before and some sort of entertainment or lounge activity afterwards. We live in the inland northwest and "casual" is all we have here unless you attend a gala fundraiser. Cruises have always appealed to me because it's the one time I get hubby out of jeans and tee shirt! Although he would probably rather not have to wear a tux, he has on many occasions on ships with less "prestige" than O. But because the brochure and website and boards emphasize "resort casual" I will just have him bring nice shirts, slacks and a blazer or two for this one. I had to twist his arm to spend more for this cruise than we would on mainstream HAL, Celebrity, Princess.

I have lots of expectations from Oceania. We just wanted something a little more upscale, fewer kids and activities geared to families, no singing in the dining rooms and good food with no upcharges at every turn. From the reviews it seems it can go either way. I plan to show up ready to have a good time and not ready to nit pick. 24 nights is a big deal for us and I really hope we will get to slow down, enjoy lounging around the ship, meeting people, playing cards (we are learning bridge!) trying some new things (like afternoon tea!) etc.

Seems this reply only touches on the WARDROBE thread... sorry.

Diane and Ron

Liberty Lake WA

Sailing on the Regatta March 29

This will be our third Oceania cruise, second on the Regatta. We do not "dress up" but wear church clothes to dinner. No jeans in the dining room but dockers okay with a nice shirt. I wear slacks-much easier to pack and use with a variety of tops. You will see dressy clothes to nice casual clothes. We met friends on our first Regatta cruise who didn't use the main dining room. They preferred casual clothing all the time and ate elsewhere, same menu offerings.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Forums mobile app

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. We have sailed on Oceania six times, and are considering a seventh on Riviera in 2019. Regent veterans also, for me, Eileen Fisher and Chicos work very well after six PM on both lines. My husband brings a blazer, and wears it when he feels like it. The main thing for us is to enjoy the experience. The people we see around us seem to be doing the same thing. Somehow it works, and it seems perfectly reasonable to be doing this in a vessel floating atop sometimes thousands of feet of water.

Speaking of clothes, in a fit of temporary madness, in 1994 we sailed on Iveran Lines container ship, the San Antonia for 46 days. It was an extremely unusual experience. For the crew, the usual dress code mandated boiler suits. The officers wore simple uniforms. When I called the Line's New Jersey office to get bead on appropriate clothes, jeans, tees and sneakers were high on the list. We would be crossing the Equater, so some winter items were suggested. On that trip, a long sleeved LLBean shirt was practically formal. We wore them to the Captain's Dinners. We did actually have such things. After all, what does one wear when skirting the border of a national park for whales off the coast of Brazil? A breeding ground for whales that come there for that purpose and also to deliver the results isn't the usual excursion. It was a kind of watery singles bar/delivery room all rolled into one. There was no entertainment, but I didn't mind watching training tapes with the crew on various topics. One of my favorites was about launching the lifeboat pods from the sides of the ship. Another showed how to install the spare propellor fin that was stored on the deck if needed. Nasty situation if that ever happened. This was no trip for the fashion conscious. So our next cruise had everything, including very enjoyable formal nights.

Mary