Cell phone use

.DR.

So, as a perk, you get unlimited wireless on your cruise. Does this mean you won't get charged if you use your phone to text or use other communication apps? Probably not. Everything you do on your phone goes through your provider, so although your connection may be free, you're likely racking up data charges with you favorite phone company. So... on to my question: Is it best just to leave your phone at home? Is it better to bring a tablet that's loaded with your favorite communications apps and has no connection to wireless providers?

Depends on the ship. On Princess you can switch your cell to airplane mode and log into this ships wireless which allows you to text to others in your group or on board and read the daily patter at no cost. Internet packages are available. Phone calls go through your carrier at premium rates.

If you put your phone in airplane mode, you won't have any charges from your cell company.

Agreed, but it turns your phone into a brick. I guess my frustration is that one can't use the apps on their expensive cell phones as effectively as they can with a cheap Kindle.

Agreed, but it turns your phone into a brick. I guess my frustration is that one can't use the apps on their expensive cell phones as effectively as they can with a cheap Kindle.

Perhaps your phone is different than mine. I put mine in Airplane mode, turn on WIFi, connect to the ship's wireless, and my phone is fully functional.

Perhaps your phone is different than mine. I put mine in Airplane mode, turn on WIFi, connect to the ship's wireless, and my phone is fully functional.

Curious. The whole purpose of airplane mode is to disable any radio wave communications (blue tooth or wireless) from your phone (and so not interfering with flight instrumentation during takeoffs/landings).

Curious. The whole purpose of airplane mode is to disable any radio wave communications (blue tooth or wireless) from your phone (and so not interfering with flight instrumentation during takeoffs/landings).

That's why WiFi needs to be turned back on after putting the phone into Airplane mode. The purpose is to turn off cellular radios to prevent any charges from the cell company, but still have the phone be fully functional.

So, as a perk, you get unlimited wireless on your cruise. Does this mean you won't get charged if you use your phone to text or use other communication apps? Probably not. Everything you do on your phone goes through your provider, so although your connection may be free, you're likely racking up data charges with you favorite phone company. So... on to my question: Is it best just to leave your phone at home? Is it better to bring a tablet that's loaded with your favorite communications apps and has no connection to wireless providers?

turn off your data on your cell...then you can text out and receive texts in...if u r on Verizon, it's 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive it ( or I might have it backwards) but it is dirt cheap and u are not hit with International phone charges...The wireless is good to check your emails on a laptop or nook..I usually ck my emails on my nook..

Depends on the ship. On Princess you can switch your cell to airplane mode and log into this ships wireless which allows you to text to others in your group or on board and read the daily patter at no cost. Internet packages are available. Phone calls go through your carrier at premium rates.

Not just Princess, most cruise lines, in in most situations in the world when using wifi, both in the US and out.

Absolutely not true. There is cellular and there is wifi. Two different things, ruled by different rules. Using ship's wifi- free in your case, your phone has all the functionality you have at home.

Quite true, that is the primary purpose of airplane mode. However, whether or not it was intended on most phones one can subsequently turn on WiFi.

That's why WiFi needs to be turned back on after putting the phone into Airplane mode. The purpose is to turn off cellular radios to prevent any charges from the cell company, but still have the phone be fully functional.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a whirl. Thanks for the idea.

I will reinforce with CruiserBruce (and I) said previously. If you have free wifi on the ship then you can use your smart phone without any data charges. You can post to Facebook until your fingers fall off or you run out of wifi minutes.:D

IMO, getting wifi minutes is a nice perk.

Even if you don't plan to use the ship's wifi with your phone, you can still use it when in port. My T-mobile plan allow free text and $0.20/min call outside the US.