Entering Japan by Cruise Ship

paulbel

We will be arriving in Japan on the Celebrity Millennium. We know that visitors from the US and Canada don't need visitor visas, but we assume we will go through Japan immigration or passport control at some point before disembarking. The Millennium docks at at Otaru and Hakadate in Hokkaido before it's final disembarking in Yokohama. We're wondering where the passports will be stamped (we assume we will need those stamps to buy rail passes and SIM Cards.

Anyone who can walk us newbies through the process will earn undying gratitude.

You can purchase rail passes in advance online:

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/jr-pass

You can also purchase a SIM card in advance, though most are data only:

https://tokyocheapo.com/business/internet/prepaid-cheap-japan-sim-card-options/

I have switched to T Mobile where your phone seems to work pretty much anywhere and data in Japan is free; no need to do any of the above.

Edited by 6rugrats

Like Most other countries, Japan Immigration will board your ship in the first Japanese port, where everyone must go through Immigration inspection. You will receive a 90 day visitors stamp in your passport, after you are fingerprinted and photographed.

Unlike many other countries, Japan Immigration will see you at EVERY Japanese port, doing a face to face passport inspection of every passenger before the ship leaves port - even if the next port call is in Japan.

BruceMuzz has it right.

They will do the immigration at first port. You will be asked to carry passports in all ports. And you must see them before the ship leaves the final port. I think they are worried that some people will stay there.

Keith

You have to buy the JR Railpasses before you get to Japan. Don't think they'll sell domestically. Surely you don't want to activate them until you get to Yokohama?

which rail pass are you referring to? they most certainly do sell JR( and KHK) passes locally. we stuck to the reloadable ones similar to the DC Metro pass. but they also offer unlimited ones for x number of days on certain lines as well as express passes between the airports.

they are not activated until they are used the first time through a train station gate

BruceMuzz has it right.

They will do the immigration at first port. You will be asked to carry passports in all ports. And you must see them before the ship leaves the final port. I think they are worried that some people will stay there.

Keith

I would if I could get away with it. I miss it terribly.

which rail pass are you referring to? they most certainly do sell JR( and KHK) passes locally. we stuck to the reloadable ones similar to the DC Metro pass. but they also offer unlimited ones for x number of days on certain lines as well as express passes between the airports.

they are not activated until they are used the first time through a train station gate

The Japan Rail Pass is similar to a Eurorail pass and must be purchased prior to arrival. The re-loadable cards you refer to are a convenient payment option rather than a true pass

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/