Take the bird in hand or wait for better offer

twentyknots

We are booked in a Neptune suite on Oosterdam for a November sailing. Yesterday I checked prices again and saw that the rate had been reduced by $200 each. I called my TA and she checked on it and said I would have to add another $150 to our deposit (increasing it to $175 each) and it would be non-refundable if we cancelled. In addition, if this offer is accepted, we would be locked into this rate. She advised that the customer service rep she had spoken with said more offers are expected in late July and we should wait and see if one of these might be better. The current offer expires August 7.

I really like the $400 offer, and cant imagine Holland lowering the price of our Neptune suite (5190) below $1499. I suppose they could offer free gratuities, a drink package, or an OBC but I have a hard time imagining a better deal than the $400 reduction. The TA suggests waiting until the end of July, see what's offered and deciding then how to proceed. I'm concerned that Holland may pull the offer that's there right now and we wont get a better or equal deal later.

The non-refundable fare is normally available any time. It just doesn't show on the HAL site.

It can be obtained by just asking your PCC/TA.

Just in case that helps in your decision making ;)

We are booked in a Neptune suite on Oosterdam for a November sailing.

I really like the $400 offer, and cant imagine Holland lowering the price of our Neptune suite (5190) below $1499. I suppose they could offer free gratuities, a drink package, or an OBC but I have a hard time imagining a better deal than the $400 reduction. The TA suggests waiting until the end of July, see what's offered and deciding then how to proceed. I'm concerned that Holland may pull the offer that's there right now and we wont get a better or equal deal later.

Do you have any perks at present that you'd be giving up?

We're booked for November as well. Keeping in mind that we are getting to the point where HAL will really be trying to fill the boat, Explore 4 on immanent sailings can be a good deal. Last summer we picked up Exp 4 on our January cruise for about 60% of the price of the drink pkg alone. Prepaid gratuities are worth $210/wk for two in a Neptune, plus a PG dinner and one more perk I can't remember, so we jumped on it. I'm hoping for an even better deal this year due to the timing mentioned above.

BTW, we've really enjoyed both 5190 and 5191 in the past. The veranda will accommodate you and about 30 friends for cocktails.

We are booked in a Neptune suite on Oosterdam for a November sailing. Yesterday I checked prices again and saw that the rate had been reduced by $200 each. I called my TA and she checked on it and said I would have to add another $150 to our deposit (increasing it to $175 each) and it would be non-refundable if we cancelled. In addition, if this offer is accepted, we would be locked into this rate. She advised that the customer service rep she had spoken with said more offers are expected in late July and we should wait and see if one of these might be better. The current offer expires August 7.

Normally I would say to wait, but at $1499 for one of the huge veranda aft-wrap suites on Deck 5, this seems like a great deal, so I would go ahead and take it (assuming it is for a 7 day cruise). It is rare to see any Neptune going for about $200 per day per person ($300-400 or more is the norm). While you can wait, I bet that this great cabin will be gone.

IMO, to get a good deal on HAL, you have to know the going rate on your cabin type for the type of cruise you are going on and then strike when you get a great price. It does take some homework and patience, but it is worth it.

Do you have any perks at present that you'd be giving up?

We're booked for November as well. Keeping in mind that we are getting to the point where HAL will really be trying to fill the boat, Explore 4 on immanent sailings can be a good deal. Last summer we picked up Exp 4 on our January cruise for about 60% of the price of the drink pkg alone. Prepaid gratuities are worth $210/wk for two in a Neptune, plus a PG dinner and one more perk I can't remember, so we jumped on it. I'm hoping for an even better deal this year due to the timing mentioned above.

BTW, we've really enjoyed both 5190 and 5191 in the past. The veranda will accommodate you and about 30 friends for cocktails.

We dont have any perks with our current booking. Free gratuities and PG dinner wouldnt be as much as the $400 reduction.

So you could save $400 now and lock in that rate, but the deposit is non-refundable... well, the deposit will become non-refundable anyway very soon. Do you have any insurance against your deposit? And if you are not comfortable risking the deposit I think that's the end of the decision process....

Are you thinking the prices will go down even more than this $400 before final payment and so you don't want to lock in your $400 saving now? I think that's a tough gamble and I don't think I'd want to bet $400 bucks on it for the possibility of a greater discount int he next, what, few weeks.

And after final payment date, what could be to your benefit if you hadn't locked it now? You aren't likely to get an upsell offer from your NS; nor OBC - HAL hasn't been doing that.... so ask yourself, what is it you would be holding out for? A drinks package? How much is that worth to you.... more than the $400 on the table now? $400 bucks can buy a lot of drinks.... I don't see what else there is to hold out for.

I think I'd take the deal on the table. That's my analysis. JMHO. m--

Mr. Lincoln has some valid points. However, I would point out that last year Explore 4 for suite customers included Prepaid Gratuities ($210/wk or $30/day for 2 in a suite), $200 internet credit, Signature Beverage Pkg, PG dinner, 50% deposit reduction, and 3rd/4th guests at reduced fare. You mentioned booking with a TA, yet had no perks. It is pretty normal to get 9-10% of your fare before taxes and fees in OBC or discount, as the TA gets 15% commission. If you're getting nothing, next time I'd shop around.

Mr. Lincoln has some valid points. However, I would point out that last year Explore 4 for suite customers included Prepaid Gratuities ($210/wk or $30/day for 2 in a suite), $200 internet credit, Signature Beverage Pkg, PG dinner, 50% deposit reduction, and 3rd/4th guests at reduced fare. You mentioned booking with a TA, yet had no perks. It is pretty normal to get 9-10% of your fare before taxes and fees in OBC or discount, as the TA gets 15% commission. If you're getting nothing, next time I'd shop around.

Only the gratuities and the PG dinner would be of any real value to us, and that's worth about $250. The deposit was already reduced to $100 apiece when we initially booked. The internet and drink packages aren't appealing to us.

So you could save $400 now and lock in that rate, but the deposit is non-refundable... well, the deposit will become non-refundable anyway very soon. Do you have any insurance against your deposit? And if you are not comfortable risking the deposit I think that's the end of the decision process....

Are you thinking the prices will go down even more than this $400 before final payment and so you don't want to lock in your $400 saving now? I think that's a tough gamble and I don't think I'd want to bet $400 bucks on it for the possibility of a greater discount int he next, what, few weeks.

And after final payment date, what could be to your benefit if you hadn't locked it now? You aren't likely to get an upsell offer from your NS; nor OBC - HAL hasn't been doing that.... so ask yourself, what is it you would be holding out for? A drinks package? How much is that worth to you.... more than the $400 on the table now? $400 bucks can buy a lot of drinks.... I don't see what else there is to hold out for.

I think I'd take the deal on the table. That's my analysis. JMHO. m--

We do have insurance; the non refundable deposit concern is only if we change our mind about going, and that's highly unlikely. Our TA doesnt see it as betting $400 to wait. We can simply wait until August 7 and see what comes along and if nothing better comes we'll take the deal on the table now. She sees no downside.

As to a better deal I doubt it, especially since much of what might be offered is not appealing to us. Only a price reduction, free gratuities and a substantial OBC totaling more than $400 would be a better deal for us. A drinks package and free internet dont mean anything to us.

As I said initially, if I thought Holland will absolutely keep the deal on the table until August 7, then it's a no-brainer—I'll wait. But do I trust Holland. Not so sure.

Only the gratuities and the PG dinner would be of any real value to us, and that's worth about $250. The deposit was already reduced to $100 apiece when we initially booked. The internet and drink packages aren't appealing to us.
Then Mr. Lincoln did a bang up analysis for your consideration.

We do have insurance; the non refundable deposit concern is only if we change our mind about going, and that's highly unlikely. Our TA doesnt see it as betting $400 to wait. We can simply wait until August 7 and see what comes along and if nothing better comes we'll take the deal on the table now. She sees no downside.

As to a better deal I doubt it, especially since much of what might be offered is not appealing to us. Only a price reduction, free gratuities and a substantial OBC totaling more than $400 would be a better deal for us. A drinks package and free internet dont mean anything to us.

As I said initially, if I thought Holland will absolutely keep the deal on the table until August 7, then it's a no-brainer—I'll wait. But do I trust Holland. Not so sure.

So I think I better understand your situation... and I still think that if you are comfortable enough to say you'll take the deal in first week in August, I don't see why would you not want to take it now? Only because you think you might be able to hold out for free gratuities - a long-shot, or substantial OBC - something HAL has not been giving in the next 21 days.

Have you priced with a different TA? Perhaps the big box TA? Or asked a HAL PCC? I'd probably make those two calls, and if they can't do better for you, I'd take the deal on the table and feel very good about it. I agree with the previous poster that you should be getting some benefit from your TA now, either a substantial discount or OBC.

It's always possible something better could come along, but right now it's very hard to see what could be better. Happy planning and enjoy your cruise! m--

Explore4 will be coming out in August, but I'm not sure if it will apply to cruises in 2017 or just to 2018.

If you really like the price and the drink package isn't a big deal for you, I'd go ahead and get the lower price.

Hi,

This is all very interesting. I haven't cruisedor had a vacation since 2009 and I guess I've "dumbed down" since then. I booked anaft wrap Neptune suite on May 10,2017 for a Nov.29, 2017cruise-11 day Southern Caribbean Medley and paid 4309 before any taxes oh pp.

This was through an internet TA and I only got $50 pp in OBC. Do you think I should go back to the TA? Unfortunately I have to pay in Canadian $. Also I had to pay a$600U.S deposit which she told me was non-refundable as if they all were. I was surprised when the rates dropped and I was told I couldn't get it because of the non-refundable rate. It wasn't that great and I don't know what if anything I should do. Thoughts?

Hi,

This is all very interesting. I haven't cruisedor had a vacation since 2009 and I guess I've "dumbed down" since then. I booked anaft wrap Neptune suite on May 10,2017 for a Nov.29, 2017cruise-11 day Southern Caribbean Medley and paid 4309 before any taxes oh pp.

This was through an internet TA and I only got $50 pp in OBC. Do you think I should go back to the TA? Unfortunately I have to pay in Canadian $. Also I had to pay a$600U.S deposit which she told me was non-refundable as if they all were. I was surprised when the rates dropped and I was told I couldn't get it because of the non-refundable rate. It wasn't that great and I don't know what if anything I should do. Thoughts?

Interesting question. Unfortunately I dont know how to advise you. I suggest you post your question under a different title and hope you get responses . There may be some who aren't interested in my question who would be in yours.

Shiela, I think I'd go thru a different TA next time. I booked a Neptune suite for a 7 day Alaska cruise thru an internet TA and paid $3000 per person total, taxes and trip insurance included. I received $750 of OBC plus the SBP, free gratuities and a Pinnacle Grill dinner. It sounds like you are stuck with the current price if it is truly non-refundable but I certainly would not use that TA again... $50 OBC for an almost $9000 cruise! Terrible!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you pay with certain credit cards and had to cancel you would get the deposit back.

Do any of these credit cards allow you to cancel for any reason, i.e. "I just don't want to go?" If so, can you point us to those cards? This is not forbidden info, BTW. One of my Chase cards does have a cancellation provision, but it is not cancel for any reason.