Tauck Budapest to Amsterdam - docking locations

Gourmet Gal

I'll be on this cruise this fall and am wondering if anyone who has taken this cruise can enlighten me as to how long are the bus rides from the docks to the towns featured on the itinerary? I am just trying to determine which ports might be best for us to strike out on our own and book a private tour or rent a car. It's a long cruise and we would just like to mix things up a bit and not be held captive too much. I am familiar with some of the ports so here are the ones I am curious about:

Bratislava

Durnstein

Regensburg

Nurnberg

Bamberg

Wurtzburg or Rothenburg

Thanks!

Our Tauck cruise this past April started in Prague to Budapest. Three of the towns you mentioned, we did visit.

Bratislava: docked in town and easy to walk thru. My least favorite on the trip and we did DYI walking tour.

Durnstein: Docked in town and easy to get around on your own. We chose to DIY hike up to Durnstein Castle. They do it with a group, but we are quicker and like DIY. Views are amazing and a delightful place to visit. Try the Gruner Veltliner wine.

Regensburg: docked in town and again DIY. They have the famous Sausage Kitchen and we had a delightful lunch and a walk thru the town.

Hope this helps.

These are all small towns and very easy to get around on your own.

Gourmet Girl, I have not cruised Tauck but have been to a couple of your ports on a Christmas market cruise with Avalon and saw many boats docked at the same locations. (We were travelling upstream).

Nurenberg - if you can go to google maps and look for the "Mississippi Queen" restaurant boat - opposite here was a large dock/quay - many boats were moored here - there is a road alongside that busses picked up and dropped off - between 15 -30 mins to old town (depending if you did a scenic drive around). Drop off pick up location was the bus stop in old town on Augustinerstrabe.

Wurzberg - moored just down from the "Old Bridge" - we were bussed 5/10 mins max to the Rezidence for tour and then were able to walk back through town - 5/10 mins to Dom and further 10 mins to mooring.

Bamberg - Boat dropped everyone off at a sawmill out of town - 20 min drive to Concert Hall - drop off/pick up meeting point -there were other cruises being met at the concert hall. Boat moved during the day and we were collected from concert hall - boat was moored in the Bamberg marina area.

Have a look on maps and hopefully you will be able to find these locations.

Wonderful! Thanks for your replies. This was just the info I was looking for.

I wanted to let you know, that on majority of our stops we chose to DIY. We know we paid for tours upfront, but DIY is the way we like to travel. Unpack once, nice suite, and let the captain do the driving. We then venture out on our own. Othertimes, we use their bus transfer to take us to the destination of interest and leave the group and do our own thing.

We used Tauck tour for Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, Cesky Krumov, and hilltop of Budapest (only because we had to wait for check in at 3pm for Four Seasons. (be prepared for a long day. UGH!) The next day, we spent entirely on our own in Budapest and skipped the tours.

We travel this way whether it is an ocean cruise or a river cruise.

You will have a lovely time. We did even though river cruising is not for us.

Thanks xmaser. Rothenburg is an optional tour on this sailing and because it still allows for free time in Würtzburg we might decide to do it. Rothenburg sounds like a great little story book town and without any other long bus rides on the cruise it seems fine to have one long ride.