What Do You Do to Stay Healthy When Cruising ?

It all ways amazes us that there are off shoot flamers . When a topic is important they still flame or just for no reason at all . Well imo they need to get a life & we hope they do lol

Not sure if that was partly directed at me, but I was just trying to make a joke. My goodness.

Sincerely, I hope you get all completely serious answers from this point on.

Kindly,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing earth-shattering:

- Wipe down the room upon arrival, including door knobs and the remote control.

- Use only our own stateroom bathroom during the cruise.

- Wash hands with soap before eating (far superior to hand sanitizer).

- Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of vegetables.

Agree with MrsPete. We take a travel size Clorox Wipes and take a few minutes to completely wipe down the room (drawer pulls, phones, everything!). Never use elevators but if you must never touch the buttons with your fingers...use a knuckle instead. WASH YOUR HANDS...far more effective than Purell. This is gross but the number of people I see leaving the restroom without washing their hands is astonishing. So again...wash, wash, wash your hands. Use a paper towel to open door when you exit restroom. Avoid shaking hands and if you do wash. Always remember, the few get the masses sick!

Regarding those little bugs my alcohol intake did not wipe out, DW is a Pharmacy Tech and when questioned, a couple Pharmacists she's worked for have recommended Zicam. They said pretty much everything else that says it does the same thing... doesn't.

I was starting to get pretty frustrated because I was following all the procedures, washing my hands mercilessly, avoiding unnecessary touching of stuff, but around the evening of Day 4 the scratchy throat kept showing up. Added the Zicam dust and kept up with my daily vitamin regimen and the last 2 trips I've had no problem.

What works for me may not for you, and vice-versa, but there's my $0.02 to the change pile.

I never use hand sanitizers I always wash my hands Soap and water. Just like at home when we walk in the front the door hands are washed. First, nothing else can be done until hands are washed.

I also avoid touching my face period, Its hard to do, harder than you think. We naturally touch our face so many times its crazy. I will not touch my face without washing my hands first.

I use hand rails, I touch elevator buttons ect but I just wash my hands. I love the new ships having the hand washing stands inside windjammer and Solarium.

The only other thing I do is never drink or eat after my kids (or anyone, well maybe DH). We bring moms water bottle and they don't touch moms bottle. If they need a drink they can have mine but I NEVER drink after them. If we are going to sample food or drink I go first, or we split it with clean silverware.

Might seem a bit neurotic but I have a sever asthma and if I catch even a simple cold it turns bad very quickly.

Now that we are in our late 70s & more prone to air born virus ,we asked our Geriatric /Internist how they stay healthy after seeing some rather ill patients . The answer is they take a 50 mg tablet of zinc daily .

Over the years & 78 cruises I personally have seen the insides of cruise ships infirmaries more often than /I liked ,not knowing this little pill could keep my immune system at a elevated level .

Not knowing this & traveling in closed or limited access areas like commercial aircraft & cruise ships ,we all can be prone to air born virus .;which has nothing to do with that dreaded Noro virus reported many times on cruise ships to the CDC

So what precautions do you take so not to get ill whether on a cruise ship ,in a commercial aircraft or even at work ?

We hope to learn some new tricks to stay healthy :)

For flights rub a little tea tree oil on our nostrils.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Nothing different then I do every day, other then possibly washing my hands more frequently. I avoid the use of hand sanitizers. I always use the handrails while going up and down the stairs. Would not want to fall and break something. I don't worry about elevator buttons, or not touching my face. Never clean the stateroom, or worry about touching things in the Windjammer. I just use basic common sense and good manners. My immune system is top notch - at 65 years of age, I have never had the flu. I do pick up a stomach virus now and again. I have had 2 in the last 15 years. Not bad for an old lady. Oh, I work in a public school - exposed to all kinds of things. DH, can claim the same illness free life. We both have great immune systems.

Maize and Blue common sense must be different than the rest of the world.

I was so tired of always getting a cold-like illness before or during or after a cruise, that before my last cruise in 2012, I took extra Vitamin C, Airborne, and an immunity booster for 2 weeks prior.

But then a few days before I got on the cruise ship, I was sitting on a bench at Disney World and a sick little girl plopped herself down next to me and proceeded to cough all over my arm. I was horrified (lol) and ran to the nearest restroom to wash off my arm. Didn't work. Three days later - sick. I gave up cruising after that - but not because of that.

All you can do is try your best not to get sick by taking all of the precautions. Nothing is guaranteed.

Never touch the handrails on the stairways.

Use a paper towel to grab the door handle on the public bathroom doors.

Exactly! Bring a tissue from your room every time you leave the room.

If I don't have a tissue, I use the back or my hand going up and down staircase.

Just me.

Nothing different then I do every day, other then possibly washing my hands more frequently. I avoid the use of hand sanitizers. I always use the handrails while going up and down the stairs. Would not want to fall and break something. I don't worry about elevator buttons, or not touching my face. Never clean the stateroom, or worry about touching things in the Windjammer. I just use basic common sense and good manners. My immune system is top notch - at 65 years of age, I have never had the flu. I do pick up a stomach virus now and again. I have had 2 in the last 15 years. Not bad for an old lady. Oh, I work in a public school - exposed to all kinds of things. DH, can claim the same illness free life. We both have great immune systems.

We don't do anything different than at home either. Just wash my hands frequently and try to eat a healthy diet. We are 70 and 85 and have never (knock on wood) come home from a cruise sick.

Exactly! Bring a tissue from your room every time you leave the room.

If I don't have a tissue, I use the back or my hand going up and down staircase.

Just me.

We always bring Dettol anti bacterial wipes and rub all doors,light switches and tv remotes in our ships cabin and hotel rooms.

I don't do these things just on a cruise but here you are:

Drink plenty of water.

Try not to touch elevator buttons and public door handles with your hands.

Don't touch your face.

Wash your hands with warm soapy water, especially before eating.

Make sure you're getting plenty of Vitamin D. (Being from a northern climate we tend to have low levels especially during the winter.)

Saline spray if you're flying. A dry nose is more susceptible to a virus.

Get plenty of sleep.

Exactly. I wash my hands, the same as I would anywhere, and take the same vitamins I take every day.

I have a hyperimmune system, so I am much more at risk of irritating my skin with alcohol based hand sanitizers than I am at getting a virus or bacterial illness.

All of the above and can't stress enough to Wash Your Hands. (ok - I know have that song in my head) . We also use hand sanitizer wipes after looking at the menus or after handling buffet tongs before we eat.

And, did I say to wash your hands!

Take care,

M

All of the above and can't stress enough to Wash Your Hands. (ok - I know have that song in my head) . We also use hand sanitizer wipes after looking at the menus or after handling buffet tongs before we eat.

Take care,

M

That is sound advice.We also use antibacterial hand wipes before eating.

Take care,

M

Washing your hands is important and I don't want to understate it, but it only takes one person not doing so to mess up dozens of others. I recently watched a crew member unwrap plastic champagne flutes for a upper tier C&A party and he used his thumb and forefinger on the inside of each rim to put them on the table. I've seen crew members pick something off the floor behind the counter in the WJ and then pick up a untensil and stir food. Most people's immune systems will tolerate the day to day stuff, but if someone really sick touches things like this, that is when it spreads.

Maize and Blue common sense must be different than the rest of the world.

Fortunately, I do not bleed "maize and blue"' I hail from Pittsburgh, and DH is from a no longer small town close to Columbus, Ohio known as Canal Winchester, and an Ohio State graduate.

Not sure that "maize and blue" people have real common sense. ;p;p We only ended up in foreign territory because of work.

I retired last year after 40 years of hospital nursing. Whether on a cruise or at home, I do exactly what I always did at work: frequent hand washing, and I'm rarely sick.:D The last time I had an antibiotic was in 1985 for a strep threat infection.

45 cruises and only sick once!:D

Sherri:)

Washing your hands is important and I don't want to understate it, but it only takes one person not doing so to mess up dozens of others. I recently watched a crew member unwrap plastic champagne flutes for a upper tier C&A party and he used his thumb and forefinger on the inside of each rim to put them on the table. I've seen crew members pick something off the floor behind the counter in the WJ and then pick up a untensil and stir food. Most people's immune systems will tolerate the day to day stuff, but if someone really sick touches things like this, that is when it spreads.

And don't forget the people the don't use tongs at the buffets (iha ve but can't use it hear)! I bet all of us have seen people grab rolls, cookies, and other things with their bare grubby fingers...disgusting and compromises all of us. Bottom line is that it is impossible to eliminate all risk of noro, etc. All we can do is look out for ourselves.

And don't forget the people the don't use tongs at the buffets (iha ve but can't use it hear)! I bet all of us have seen people grab rolls, cookies, and other things with their bare grubby fingers...disgusting and compromises all of us. Bottom line is that it is impossible to eliminate all risk of noro, etc. All we can do is look out for ourselves.

I agree then they put the cookies back after touching them or touch tongs after eating food on their plates with fingers.