Celebrity Vacation Planners

johhnnyt

Was wondering what the consensus was on Celebrity Vacation Planners. I've traveled on Celebrity for about 20 years, sometimes booking direct and sometimes using a TA. This year though I got a call from my new Celebrity Vacation Planner, who gave me her direct extension, and offered to help me on any future cruises, shore excursions, beverage packages etc.

Only used it on a limited basis so far. The two times that I have though, I know she found me a better deal on a cruise than I had found (and applied my 1 category CC upgrade). Also found me better deal on internet and drink packages.

Just wondering what others thought about using Celebrity Vacation Planner, pluses and minuses

Over the years with Celebrity, I've booked with a Celebrity PVP, and a travel agent. With other cruises, I've booked with a travel agent, direct with the cruise line, and through a discount travel agency.

Of course the advantage of your own travel agent is someone is looking out for you specifically, and some added perks.

A mega agency can often get group pricing and extend various perks. However, the service is generally not good; and many charge change fees.

Booking directly with the cruise line leaves you flexible to make changes to your own reservation. This can be simple convenience, but can also result in a money savings, since you may see a price drop that's only there for a few hours, and get the change applied, where your agent either may not be immediately available, or may not be able to get to Celebrity through their required contact route.

Celebrity's Personal Vacation Planners retain the benefits of booking directly (your ability to call Celebrity and make your own changes), and add a particular person as a point of contact. Of course, this person is not "your" agent, but an employee of Celebrity. However, my experience has been they are very skilled at knowing how to get all the proper discounts, perks and Captain's Clubs benefits applied.

So the advantage is you have a particular person when you desire, but if you have an issue during off hours or something, you can deal with anyone at Celebrity. The disadvantage is there is no additional perks you may get from a travel agency.

My experience with the Celebrity Vacation Planner that I have used has been positive. She is very responsive and knowledgeable. Another thing is, when she wasn't immediately available, she was good about providing access to a colleague that was up to speed and able to help.

A travel agent still has a lot of advantages, but if you prefer to book directly with the cruise line, then using the Celebrity Vacation Planner is all plus, no minus.

Harris

Denver, CO

I've only used one once. It was a last-minute cruise and I needed to book immediately. Received excellent service. My sister uses one all the time (I used hers) and loves it. I prefer to use someone who is working for me. My travel agent has had to go to bat for me several times and obtained good results.

My experience with a PVP is mixed. Recently I had one contact me as a result of a cruise I put on hold. We went through the routine of using an on-board booking to modify and incorporating my on hold cruise. Did this with 2 of them, no problem contacting him. He even anticipated my one category upgrades and my B2B discount request.

I. decided to book other cruises in the next week, left a message for him on both a Monday and Tuesday, no response in spite of his telephone greeting that he was in the office each day. I concluded the bookings through the Captain's Club. This was the second PVP that flattened out.

The big on-line agencies with their "free" gratuities and bonuses have their time and place but balance it with poor service and their own cancellation/change fees once they own the booking.

Conclusion, I will continue to book onboard or on the internet while controlling my booking. If you have or can find a good PVP, good luck to you.

I have used an X rep for many years who does an excellent job for me. I do most of the 'work' myself eg: online excursions, dining, etc; the agent books for me and keeps me up to date with confirmation data changes, always calls me back and answers my emails promptly. If she is on vacation an alternate agent's contact info is provided. If I find a price change the agent adjusts my booking to reflect the price difference and has been able to apply an OBC after the booking, so that has proven to be an advantage. Best case, the agent would be proactive in letting me know of these price differences but that doesn't happen. A travel agent may not do that either (at least in my experience). I like to be able to control my booking online so a travel agent wouldn't work for me.

Just used a Celebrity Vacation Planner twice in the past 6 months or so. The first booking when I got the confirmation had multiple errors including no Capt Club #, even though he said he had them, misspelled names, military disount not applied, and the list went on. I called the next day to have it corrected and that VP was off, the agent I spoke to said it would be easier just to cancel and start over.

I did with a our usual TA

Recently booked a last minute cruise so booked direct with a VP and she has been excellent, responding to phone calls quickly & matching the OBC that a TA would have given us to move the reservation.

In the long run I think I will probably book with the TA, they have gone to bat for us many times & have hit some home runs.

I have a CVP who I use all the time. This individual is responsive, knowledgeable, efficient, and very, very nice. I did an on board booking when on Equinox last spring. I said to the cruise planner on the ship to make sure that this individual would get the booking. The onboard agent said, oh my gosh he/she is absolutely wonderful. I hear more good things about this person than all the other CVP's combined. The onboard agent said everybody who deals with this CVP absolutely loves and raves about him/her.

I had a minor issue with online check in this morning. I sent an email and had a response and the resolution in less than two minutes. The small amount of OBC I might get from a TA does not make it worth losing this individual and as PP have stated, control of my booking.

I have a CVP who I use all the time. This individual is responsive, knowledgeable, efficient, and very, very nice. I did an on board booking when on Equinox last spring. I said to the cruise planner on the ship to make sure that this individual would get the booking. The onboard agent said, oh my gosh he/she is absolutely wonderful. I hear more good things about this person than all the other CVP's combined. The onboard agent said everybody who deals with this CVP absolutely loves and raves about him/her.

I had a minor issue with online check in this morning. I sent an email and had a response and the resolution in less than two minutes. The small amount of OBC I might get from a TA does not make it worth losing this individual and as PP have stated, control of my booking.

Initials of this VP wouldn't be TR? If so, she's the best.