Diamond vs. Diamond Plus

I've read plenty of complaints on these boards about crowded lounges and suite pax can't even speak with concierge. It exists, maybe not in Europe or Asia, but definitely over here

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Being from England most of our cruises are in Europe and i never have a problem with the lounges so feel sympathetic to you in the US.

I understand the enhancements on Oasis class so they really need 3 lounges on this type of ship

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Being from England most of our cruises are in Europe and i never have a problem with the lounges so feel sympathetic to you in the US.

I understand the enhancements on Oasis class so they really need 3 lounges on this type of ship

With a daughter, we tend to school when school is not in session. The lounges are usually not that crowded then either. It's the TA/repo's and the fall/winter times that most of the really frequent (ie retired/semi-retired) people cruise that the lounges really get crowded.

I tend to be of the school of if someone is giving me something and I don't have to pay for it that I am being unappreciative when I start demanding them to give me another lounge. Yes, I have experienced full lounges, but I could always get another drink in a bar. The only time I have felt like it was better to not be in the DL is when it first opens (on a few sailings) before first dinner seating. My experience is by 6PM on all cruises you can get a chair in the lounge.

To me it seems presumptuous to ask for something when what they are giving me is worth not taking a chance at losing it by being a PITA.

JMHO and YMMV

JC

I assume John has many fewer points than Laura, so if they unlink now, before Laura reaches PC, then John will be stuck at D+ for a while.

I don't think the link counts when you're on your own anyway. Unless I'm wrong. One of my last RCL cruises, there was a lady who was sailing with her husband. He had Pinnacle status, she had it onboard through him normally. But this time she was sailing on her own and was only given D+ status (because he wasn't sailing with her). She was very annoyed by this in fact. Not sure if this is a norm, or what happens with all levels when someone sails without the spouse who has a larger level.

I don't think the link counts when you're on your own anyway. Unless I'm wrong. One of my last RCL cruises, there was a lady who was sailing with her husband. He had Pinnacle status, she had it onboard through him normally. But this time she was sailing on her own and was only given D+ status (because he wasn't sailing with her). She was very annoyed by this in fact. Not sure if this is a norm, or what happens with all levels when someone sails without the spouse who has a larger level.

That's not the norm. Once two people are linked, they both have the same level, whether they sail together or not.

I tend to be of the school of if someone is giving me something and I don't have to pay for it that I am being unappreciative when I start demanding them to give me another lounge. Yes, I have experienced full lounges, but I could always get another drink in a bar. The only time I have felt like it was better to not be in the DL is when it first opens (on a few sailings) before first dinner seating. My experience is by 6PM on all cruises you can get a chair in the lounge.

To me it seems presumptuous to ask for something when what they are giving me is worth not taking a chance at losing it by being a PITA.

JMHO and YMMV

JC

As D+ we have all attained 175 points and one of the inducements was we can go to the CL as well as the DL.

If you are Diamond you would be howling if they​ banned you from the DL so with that thought you might understand why we feel aggrieved about losing our 2 choices of lounge.

That's not the norm. Once two people are linked, they both have the same level, whether they sail together or not.

Thanks for clarifying.

All our cruises have been together so we are both D+ but it is nice to build up our RC knowledge in case we are asked about it in future.

I don't hear complaints from Suite guests on other RC class of ships who share their CL with D+ so why do you.

Yours is a fair question. I'll attempt to answer.

First & foremost, I mention this via a message board. I would never express my displeasure w/ others in person in a case like this. I doubt others would either. Like myself, I imagine most would express their concerns direct to Royal.

Second, The competition. Many other cruise lines have installed multiple levels of privacy for their suite only cruisers. RCL is no different and is installing something similar.

Third. Not all of course, but many Suite Cruisers are 'new' cruisers to RCL or just new to cruising in general. All of the D & D+ cruisers are very cliquish in general as they all have a special bond of being loyal. Often there would be a clash.

Now can one or more D+ explain why they believe they should be in a Suite lounge when they aren't cruising in a suite?

Is it different for Pinnacle then? Or do you keep the same status. I know they do keep the individual point totals in the system. (I have a few more points then my DW, even though we're D+. It shows on the screen the same, but inside they know the difference. If she sails without me I won't gain more points until she catches up).

They definitely were not honoring her Pinnacle status onboard which her husband has, when he was not sailing with her. There were many talks about it in the lounge :)

Is it different for Pinnacle then? Or do you keep the same status. I know they do keep the individual point totals in the system. (I have a few more points then my DW, even though we're D+. It shows on the screen the same, but inside they know the difference. If she sails without me I won't gain more points until she catches up).

They definitely were not honoring her Pinnacle status onboard which her husband has, when he was not sailing with her. There were many talks about it in the lounge :)

Not different for Pinnacle. I cannot explain what was going on in the situation you mentioned, but that's not the norm.

Yours is a fair question. I'll attempt to answer.

First & foremost, I mention this via a message board. I would never express my displeasure w/ others in person in a case like this. I doubt others would either. Like myself, I imagine most would express their concerns direct to Royal.

Second, The competition. Many other cruise lines have installed multiple levels of privacy for their suite only cruisers. RCL is no different and is installing something similar.

Third. Not all of course, but many Suite Cruisers are 'new' cruisers to RCL or just new to cruising in general. All of the D & D+ cruisers are very cliquish in general as they all have a special bond of being loyal. Often there would be a clash.

Now can one or more D+ explain why they believe they should be in a Suite lounge when they aren't cruising in a suite?

A dedicated Suite lounge with the added niceties on Oasis class is fine by me.

My point was if they want to do this they should have compensated D+ for their loyalty status relegation and not just do it and expect us to like it or lump it.

Not different for Pinnacle. I cannot explain what was going on in the situation you mentioned, but that's not the norm.

Thanks! It was definitely a lively discussion there, and interesting to watch. Though she was NOT happy (as you can imagine)

Thanks! It was definitely a lively discussion there, and interesting to watch. Though she was NOT happy (as you can imagine)

Only thing that comes to mind is that the couple was not truly linked, i.e. either requested or somehow got unlinked

I don't hear complaints from Suite guests on other RC class of ships who share their CL with D+ so why do you.

I was disappointed in my 1st GS in 2014 when there were no seats in concierge lounge ( Navigator) not a huge problem wince we were diamond and had drink package (now we are 1 cruise away from diamond plus) , if I did not have those perks I wouldn't be happy at all

I was disappointed in my 1st GS in 2014 when there were no seats in concierge lounge ( Navigator) not a huge problem wince we were diamond and had drink package (now we are 1 cruise away from diamond plus) , if I did not have those perks I wouldn't be happy at all

Our first GS was a 10 night Brilliance cruise in February 2009 going to the Canary Islands and we were in the old CL on deck 10.

It was busy but we always got a seat every night.

Our first GS was a 10 night Brilliance cruise in February 2009 going to the Canary Islands and we were in the old CL on deck 10.

It was busy but we always got a seat every night.

Love current Brilliance CL it is so much bigger than larger ships like Navigator we never had a issue with that lounge, this one also has outdoor area which many ships like Navigator do not have

As D+ we have all attained 175 points and one of the inducements was we can go to the CL as well as the DL.

If you are Diamond you would be howling if they​ banned you from the DL so with that thought you might understand why we feel aggrieved about losing our 2 choices of lounge.

Would you not agree that there is a big difference between going from have two lounges to one vs going from one lounge to none? In your example I think the Diamonds end up with a bigger loss than the D+ folks.

I agree with what J.C. wrote above. Do a lot of whining about this situation and maybe RCI will just convert the lounges into more passenger cabins and be done with the ingrates.

Would you not agree that there is a big difference between going from have two lounges to one vs going from one lounge to none? In your example I think the Diamonds end up with a bigger loss than the D+ folks.

I agree with what J.C. wrote above. Do a lot of whining about this situation and maybe RCI will just convert the lounges into more passenger cabins and be done with the ingrates.

I don't whine and if i promise something i honour it.

If a carrot is offered you don't take it away when people have fulfilled their side of the bargain.

No way do i want Diamonds to lose their lounge i just think a compromise compensation to D+ for losing CL access would have been the correct thing for RC to do.

I don't whine and if i promise something i honour it.

If a carrot is offered you don't take it away when people have fulfilled their side of the bargain.

No way do i want Diamonds to lose their lounge i just think a compromise compensation to D+ for losing CL access would have been the correct thing for RC to do.

I wasn't calling you a whiner. I was speaking in generalities. What do you think about RCI introducing new levels to prolong the trip to D and D+? How about increasing the number of points needed to reach these levels? RCI has done both in the past. The carrot keeps moving. Is that fair? I don't know. The rules say RCI can change, or eliminate, the program at any time. So I guess according to the rules it is fair. Eliminating one of the D+ lounges is fair according to the rules. Ending the C&A program entirely is fair according to the rules. We all chose to participate in a program that we were warned could change, or end, at any time. That is what you, I, and everyone else agreed to. It is about as one sided an agreement as the ridiculously one sided cruise contract that we all agree to every time we book a cruise but it is, non the less, what we agreed to.

Me too. Diamond Plus that is. As long as the majority of the diamond benefits are still offered, I am not going to winge too much, because at some point someone might think these ungrateful SOBs are a PITA let's do away with the whole program. Because they can and will change the program at any time and in any way that they choose. It is not something we have actually earned, because of the wording I am referring to.

They have limited space and the primary goal of making as much money as possible with the facilities that they are paying for. Which means nothing will remain the same forever. A belief that things will remain the same forever is one that is sure to leave a person unsatisfied.

I will tell you of a horrible situation that occurred on my last cruise in the substitute diamond lounge. I am still so shattered by the experience that I can only now share my story, three months later!!!!:eek:

On the Ovation of the Seas, they closed the Diamond Lounge!!!!! When I went with my key in hand, to get a coffee the door was locked and the diamond Lounge label was replaced with the Golden Room. I was traumatized!:eek: Fortunately, They had a large sign in the hall that said the upstairs portion of the music hall was reserved for Diamond members. Whew! I went in, and to my horror, my precious expresso machine was sitting inside the bar area, where the bartenders work, and to which passengers can not enter. How was I to get into the employee only area to make my expresso. Fortunately, a ships crew member of a slightly higher rank than bartender was there to make my latte with an extra expresso.... Still it was very traumatic having to explain to her how to make my coffee just the way I wanted it. :loudcry: Telling this horrific story has reopened my old scarred wounds. I am not sure if I will be able to enjoy the weekend or if I will lay curled in a ball in my hallway....

JC

OB, when are you going to book a cruise I am on? Radiance next August 2018, and Symphony TA 2018.... Book now before the hoards beat you to it. Now that all my fans know my future cruise schedule.....:evilsmile:

JC

OB, when are you going to book a cruise I am on? Radiance next August 2018, and Symphony TA 2018.... Book now before the hoards beat you to it. Now that all my fans know my future cruise schedule.....:evilsmile:

JC

A cruise in August isn't going to happen as the office is way too busy with physicals for kids going back to school and playing sports. And though I think about TA's I'm not sure I'd like so many sea days in a row. Usually after two I'm looking forward to a port of call.

A cruise in August isn't going to happen as the office is way too busy with physicals for kids going back to school and playing sports. And though I think about TA's I'm not sure I'd like so many sea days in a row. Usually after two I'm looking forward to a port of call.

The Radiance is August 31, would think that the school rush would have ended by then. You would love the Symphony cruise 12 days and 1 port! 9 straight days at sea! On the upside, I will hopefully get a lot of wave time!

JC