Purchase Cruise Line Stocks

rtownsend

I'm considering purchasing stocks. What is the best way to do so?

If this is for an overall investment strategy I would find a good fee-based financial adviser who does not take commissions on trades, and invest according to your financial needs rather than picking individual stocks. You can use someone like Edelman Financial or Garrett Planning Network (or many others; just make sure they are registered investment advisers holding a series 65 license and compelled by law to act as a fiduciary and in your best interest).

If that has you rolling your eyes and thinking "sheesh, I just want to buy 100 shares of NCLH to get the perks" then I recommend these three discount brokers: Charles Schwab, Fidelity and Vanguard. Schwab and Fidelity may have a local office; Vanguard is on-line only as far as I know. There may be a minimum for account set up for all three, but consider opening an IRA or Roth IRA account to avoid larger minimums.

If you have a 401k or IRA with another broker you can ask them about opening a brokerage account and the costs. Typically a traditional broker like Merrill Lynch will charge higher fees.

I'm considering purchasing stocks. What is the best way to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume you have some sort of stock/ira account already that you can buy and sell stocks with. If you have zero stocks, buying cruiselines stock just for the perk is of questionable value.

So, if you have a stock investing account, just log on and buy stock. This assume you believe the stock will appreciate in value over the term you hold it. For someone like us, it would have made sense to get it a few years ago even it held steady. But - I did not see buying stock in the cruise business a wise decision otherwise.

And surely do not do what my brother almost did. When GM came out of bankruptcy, he wanted to buy some GM stock. So, I asked him how much he thought it would go up each year. He said about 10-15%. Just a guess of course.

Then I asked how much he was paying in interest on his credit card debt. Yea.. over 20% a year. Told him to invest his money there first.

Okay... got off track....

You buy NCL (NCLH) stock - doesn't matter what it is trading for whatever is your comfort level.

To get the $100 additional OBC on your cruise you must purchase at a minimum 100 shares.

You get the $100 OBC on each NCL cruise as a stock holder of record maintaining those 100 shares.

NCL stock is not at the present paying dividends unlike Carnival and Royal Caribbean who are.

If 100 shares would pay a $0.25 a share quarterly dividend that is $100 annual

Market Close 7/21

NCL - NCL - 55.07 - Div 00.00

Carnival - CUK - 67.21 - Div 00.40 - $160 annual 100 shares

Royal Caribbean - RCL - 114.91 - Div 00.48 - $192 annual 100 shares

Whether it is worth while for 1 cruise is subject to discussion - more than 1 then the balance would shift

toward this is a good deal - BUT there are better stocks that do a better job and if you don't cruise what's

the use of the OBC.

Also note the OBC is the NON-REFUNDABLE type - use it all or forfeit the remainder !

Maybe that answers the "DON'T" question. - it is YOUR money and investment - I am not licensed as

a broker or advisor. Just the FACTS. The decision is solely yours.

So, the way I framed the response the way I did is that there are many different reasons to buy a stock. I own Disney stock simply because I like the company and like to follow them financially as well as just a regular fan. I don't count my Disney stock as part of my investments because it's an emotional, fan-based decision to buy it. All of my investments are in mutual funds, bond funds, cash and ETFs. The reason is that a dollar isn't invested in any single company, but spread out among thousands. Any new money I invest is never for an individual stock. But I'm in my 60's now, and play time is over.

If you want to buy stock for fun, go ahead. It will either go up, or go down, or stagnate. The perk is a nice thing to have, and you can calculate that in. You get $100 OBC for buying about $5,600 in stock. That's less than a 2% ROI on your investment, but it comes every year you take a cruise. You also get to post on here "As a stockholder, I think this is outrageous" and things like that.

Yeah, we purchased the minimum 100 shares within one of our IRA accounts at $4.95/trade just to get the $100 OBC.

We did that just 1 week before sailing. The OBC was given to us just based on the stock trade confirmation.

Our intent was to sell the shares the day after we sailed, but we have gotten greedy and are holding it a bit longer to actually may a tidy short term profit within our IRA. No real tax consequences, and even if the stock went the other way it is currently being recommended by several analyst and was bound to recovery. We likely will sell it it a couple more weeks and repurchase it just before our next cruise and then dump it again---I agree leisure stocks are risky for the long haul.

We figure we are saving $100 for $9.90 in in/out trading.

If you are buying stock for the perks DON'T. If for a true investment then the information above is sound.

What , is a 100 shares going to bankrupt them? I bought a 100 shares of CCL just for the perks a few years ago. I have received $500 in OBC so far, and $340 total in dividends also . Also the price of the stock has doubled. Good thing you were not my financial advisor.

The major cruise line stocks, NCLH, CCL and RCL are pretty close to all time highs. Agreed do not purchase for a single cruise credit. You should think of this as a long term investment. I purchased at least 100 shares of these cruise lines and paid $24 per share for RCL, $29 for CCL and about $33 for NCLH.

Opening up an ncl credit card will get you a $100 obc card after the 1st use

Plus there is no cash outlay on your part and you continue to earn points that can be used for additional obc

I only suggest this because you seem to not already have an investment account nor own other stocks or you would already know how to purchase stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, we purchased the minimum 100 shares within one of our IRA accounts at $4.95/trade just to get the $100 OBC.

We did that just 1 week before sailing. The OBC was given to us just based on the stock trade confirmation.

Our intent was to sell the shares the day after we sailed, but we have gotten greedy and are holding it a bit longer to actually may a tidy short term profit within our IRA. No real tax consequences, and even if the stock went the other way it is currently being recommended by several analyst and was bound to recovery. We likely will sell it it a couple more weeks and repurchase it just before our next cruise and then dump it again---I agree leisure stocks are risky for the long haul.

We figure we are saving $100 for $9.90 in in/out trading.

In a perfect world, but you also have to consider the stock tanking even in that short time frame. The market has enjoyed a serious run over the last 8-9 years, and at some point will correct. It might not correct as much as 2008, but it will experience a downturn.

i bought 100 shares before my recent cruise on the gem, and received $100 obc. does that mean as long as i still own the hundred shares i will receive $100 obc on my next cruise in dec. on the star?

Absolutely yes, as long as you both continue to hold the shares until your sailing date on the Star and resubmit the form with your Star reservation details.