The end of reduced deposit for Onboard Bookings

I am so surprised people actually find value in the NRD rates - non of my booked cruises have a noticeable difference to the RD rate that I booked.

Only one has a $75 lower rate when I factor the OBC in - so no need to change.

But I suspect when they release the new batch of cruises it might be different.....

Just glad I locked in quite a few cruises under the old NCO rules:D

While I know it's not a universal requirement, my travel agent required full deposit as soon as I transferred to them when I got home from the cruise, so I never saw a benefit in a reduced deposit.

This is only true when they are putting you in a group. Ask your TA is s/he put you into a group.

^ and because of that commitment, RCI will have a much better idea of real bookings instead of the current situation where people change/move/cancel bookings willy nilly, which will hopefully lead to more predictable prices.

When a cruiser moves a booking, RC hasn't lost anything. The customer has just changed his/her mind about when to spend that money.

When a cruiser moves a booking, RC hasn't lost anything. The customer has just changed his/her mind about when to spend that money.

I disagree, now Royal has to sell it again. No idea if the price will be lower or higher.

How's your crystal ball working these days?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I disagree, now Royal has to sell it again. No idea if the price will be lower or higher.

How's your crystal ball working these days?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Selling is the easy part. Getting and hanging on to your money is what's hard. Why do you think Royal changed the rules ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They could care less about Cabin hogs

WRONG. They do and it's one of the primary reasons for starting non refundable deposits and change fees. There were people literally tying up dozens of suite weeks and ultimately keeping just one. RCCL knew who they were and has been watching this for some time.

To me, any OBC was worth much more than the reduced deposit. The OBC is money I never have to come up with, the reduced deposit is just a timing issue of when I have to come up with the money.

mac_tlc

I've always thought this same thing. What's the point in a "reduced" deposit? It just means your final payment is bigger.

WRONG. They do and it's one of the primary reasons for starting non refundable deposits and change fees. There were people literally tying up dozens of suite weeks and ultimately keeping just one. RCCL knew who they were and has been watching this for some time.

All caps ? Lol

And you're talking about Suites which are limited compared to regular staterooms

Along with all the fake sales, I can see RCI offering reduced deposits many times to entice bookings. Reduced deposits and the OBC - it's like booking on board used to be (marketing tag line).
Hope they do offer reduced deposit sailings -- I've booked one or two cruises using these promotions at home. DH likes to have small deposits on future cruises even if we get sticker shock at final payment.

I don't mind paying a full deposit, but I do not want non-refundable, so they can push all they want, but all it will do is make me push back. The reason we book onboard and way ahead of time is that we can pick the exact cabin we want.

• 2 weeks later...