Bed bugs

We also have an acquaintance that had them in their kids room and had to throw away mattresses and wooden bunk bed set. Then the sofa because the kids had went to sleep on it because they couldn't sleep in their beds. It cost them A LOT of money to get rid of them.

All I know is if I had real evidence that there were bed bugs in my room and they wouldn't move me, I'm gone. I would take all kinds of photos and videos and fight with the cruise line to get my money back. Now I don't have that kind of money to just flush down the tubes and the probability of getting my money back from the cruise line would probably be slim to none, but it would be cheaper then bringing them home with me and then trying to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree 100%...I would be heartbroken to lose a cruise but so much better than bringing them home. I have to believe that the cruiselines keep a few extra rooms for emergencies.

I think we brought bedbugs home from Liberty in Feb 2016 (my husband could also have picked them up on the bus, no way to know). It was AWFUL and expensive and time consuming and difficult to get rid of them. It was a total nightmare. I do check beds in hotels, but my main defense is on arriving home. I don't care how convinced I am that we are in the clear, all the luggage is dropped just inside the front door (our downstairs is tiled.) Everyone strips down in the dining room and heads to a bath/shower, and clean clothes that were not on the trip.

Any clothes that came home clean still go through the dryer on hot for a cycle, and all dirty clothes go straight in the wash. We now keep the luggage in the entryway closet instead of the master closet. This routine makes me feel reasonably secure. As long as my husband doesn't bring them home from the bus. For a while we were really vigilant about him changing clothes when he got home every day, but that was impossible to sustain. I still don't let his work backpack in past the entryway though.

Thanks for all the useful tips. I have seen a lot on the internet as well. I got them once from a hotel stay but never on a cruise.....and we've been on a lot. Cruise lines can only be diligent in constantly checking their rooms but cannot control who brings them on board. Didn't want to name the ship because our friends are in discussion with RCCL on the matter and no need to give out their details. Again...thanks.

I had an in-law and frequent cruiser mention spraying your sheets with lavender oil to repel bed bugs. She does it on every cruise and swears it works. I'll be trying this on our next cruise in September.

http://www.themiracleofessentialoils.com/does-lavender-repel-bed-bugs/

Just wondering how she would know. Has she stayed in a room with bed bugs and saw them fleeing the scene?

The people who sell "essential" oils are doing a great marketing job....

Just wondering how she would know. Has she stayed in a room with bed bugs and saw them fleeing the scene?

The people who sell "essential" oils are doing a great marketing job....

I was wondering the same thing. It's like spraying water around a room and swearing that it kept away monsters.

I was wondering the same thing. It's like spraying water around a room and swearing that it kept away monsters.

Hey don't knock it! I had "monster away" spray when my son was little oh maybe 25 yrs ago...lol. That got me out of a lot of mid night wake ups[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Yup the luggage you brought with you! Someone has bed bugs ( at home or from the hotel they stayed at) you leave your luggage with the porter and it goes into a huge pile of luggage that includes the pieces with bed bugs and wha lah you have bed bugs in your cabin. Unless you meant WHERE do they COME from in which case the answer is: When a mommy Bed Bug and a daddy Bed Bug love each other very much ( and or had a fun night at the bar)....

Bed bugs can happen anywhere, any time. On the bright side, if the ship you're sailing recently had them, you can bet they've done a complete and thorough cleaning and inspection. Bed bugs are a HUGE issue/concern for the hospitality industry. Once they're made aware of the problem, they go all out to get rid of them immediately.

I always check the seams of the mattress in hotels and on ships, and then I forget all about it and enjoy the trip.

It is recommended that you leave your luggage in the hall or bathroom until you've checked.

Finally, I am sure that the cruise line would not insist you stay in a cabin with bed bugs. They always have a few cabins open for emergency situations.

Bed bugs can happen anywhere, any time. On the bright side, if the ship you're sailing recently had them, you can bet they've done a complete and thorough cleaning and inspection. Bed bugs are a HUGE issue/concern for the hospitality industry. Once they're made aware of the problem, they go all out to get rid of them immediately.

I always check the seams of the mattress in hotels and on ships, and then I forget all about it and enjoy the trip.

It is recommended that you leave your luggage in the hall or bathroom until you've checked.

Finally, I am sure that the cruise line would not insist you stay in a cabin with bed bugs. They always have a few cabins open for emergency situations.

People keep stating this. I'm wondering do you know this for sure, and if so, how do you know? Or is it just an opinion?

People keep stating this. I'm wondering do you know this for sure, and if so, how do you know? Or is it just an opinion?

A.) Because not doing so is a recipe for disaster. Any well run business has contingency plans.

B.) I once had to move cabins on a "sold out" ship because the occupants before me had apparently vomited in the cabin and they couldn't get the smell out.

A.) Because not doing so is a recipe for disaster. Any well run business has contingency plans.

B.) I once had to move cabins on a "sold out" ship because the occupants before me had apparently vomited in the cabin and they couldn't get the smell out.

Interesting. There have also been people that were NOT moved even though they had significant issues with their cabins. It sounds like there's no definitive answer.

Yup the luggage you brought with you! Someone has bed bugs ( at home or from the hotel they stayed at) you leave your luggage with the porter and it goes into a huge pile of luggage that includes the pieces with bed bugs and wha lah you have bed bugs in your cabin. Unless you meant WHERE do they COME from in which case the answer is: When a mommy Bed Bug and a daddy Bed Bug love each other very much ( and or had a fun night at the bar)....

The problem is serious, but THAT is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Google a product called "Cedarcide". Amazing all natural cedar oil spray that does get rid of bed bugs as well and many others including fleas, spiders, silverfish and more! Safe for use ON pets! We spray along the ceiling in our basement and no more silverfish. Also spray along baseboards to keep spiders away. Can be used as a polish on all kinds of wood! We spray our luggage inside and out before traveling and also bring a travel sized bottle with us for the cabin and to use as a bug spray on excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a single solitary bed bug on a Disney ship in May. Literally, single solitary. We were in our room, luggage was delivered, I flopped the first suitcase open on the bed, and hubby spotted it crawling on the white bed cover. He grabbed it up with a tissue, had everyone leave the room, and called guest services. An officer arrived in minutes. You say "bed bug" and they don't play! All our belongings were taken for inspection & sterilization. Everything was sifted through. Every single item. The suitcase it came on was our garment bag. Contents were all dry cleaned and sterilized. Garment bag was heat treated to sterilize. We were moved to another room. No, the ship was not entirely sold out. The room we started in was inspected top to bottom. Pretty much disassembled. The head of hotels spoke with us the next day about it. It is believed the single bug that we found was a hitchhiker from the terminal. When we returned to port of embarkation we pulled everything out of our car & inspected every nook & cranny of everything there with our flashlights. Nothing. That confirms that single bug came from another bag in the terminal between being checked with the porters & when it was delivered to us. My brother worked for Terminix before he passed. A brother-in-law still works for them. We had knowledge before & solid advice during the entire episode onboard.

We are typically pretty good about inspecting. We had been pretty lax in recent years. Bet we aren't lax anymore! Scared the bejeezus out of me.

The cruise lines have a procedure to handle them if found. It took about 3 hours or so for our luggage to be inspected, etc. The stuff that needed treating (to be sure, nothing was found but to be sure) a bit longer. We needed our dinner clothes pretty quickly which the dry cleaners cranked out to us within an hour. I'm not entirely sure how long it takes to break down a room, inspect, & treat. I'd think half a day would seem reasonable but I'm not 100% sure. We changed rooms so I don't know that part.

As a preventive measure, when it was time to replace our luggage we bought the hardside type with no zippers and rubber seals. With no fabric, it is much harder, if not impossible for the bugs to stick on them or get it. We went with the Lojel Octa. They have served us well so far through 3 trips on airplanes and ships. They can be found on many websites and, I think, in stores.

If you check, and you find evidence of them in your room, then what? If there's no empty rooms available, what can be done?

I can tell you from experience what can be done. Sailed on a Royal ship a few years ago and discovered there were bedbugs when I was laying in bed and saw something crawling on the headboard out the corner of my eye. It was early in the morning and was getting ready to go on an excursion . It was reported . It was an all day excursion at Universal Studios so it was late when we returned. Upon arrival we were told we had to go to guest services. Guest services told us the room was sterilized and mattress and bedding changed and they did find a very small infestation. We asked for another room but there werent any available. We asked about compensation and were told something would be provided but wasnt told what it was. We were told that our room steward would be alertedwe were heading to our room and had to provide our clothes and luggage for cleaning at the cruiseline expense. Our room steward asked us to submit clothes we needed immediately first in one bag and then the rest in another. Wasnt til the final day we found out our comoensation was 50% of what we paid for the cruise put into a future cruise credit.

Sailed Anthem in june 2 rooms no bed bugs.

You can check for them but they can be anywhere. Like someone said luggage being stacked together is the easiest way for them to come into a room.

Personally I don't thing they have extra cabins just in case well maybe 1. What happens is people miss cruises all the time. Emergencies, transportation, illness ect. So that might be why sometime they have a free room and sometimes not.