Looks like misbehaving kids aren't only on Carnival

I don't think kicking someone off for their child's curfew violation is a punishment that fits the crime. In my opinion, that would be too extreme. Even if it was two or three curfew violations, I don't think that warrants being removed. Now, if they're doing something much worse while they're violating curfew, then yeah, the consequences should escalate. But if they're just hanging out outside or something like that past curfew, that deserves something less drastic. Does anyone know what RC does if kids violate curfew?

OC, you have to calm down....don't let me agitate you so much....deep breaths....you good? [emoji38]
Trust me, pointing out your hypocrisies and rudeness requires very little effort. Don't flatter yourself. ;)

I will be glad to search for a thread for you. I am not aware of any penalty. I can tell you, firsthand, at 1 Am teams of security swept the ship deck by deck. My son and some other were eating pizza on lido, and were told they needed to go back to their cabin. I know because I was sitting in Lido. He pointed us out, and they told him either go sit with your parents or you need to go back to your cabin. His friends could not sit with us, so he chose to go to the cabin.

I have personally cruised on RCI as a teenager and there was zero curfew. I would roam around the ship unattended w/o a problem. I would work on homework in the library very late into the night and no one said anything. I must have gotten water from the Lido deck too as I get thirsty at night (pun not intended LOL).

I had zero issues.

I have read no accounts of this sort of thing happening on Royal Caribbean or any other Cruise Line... Actual real curfews, enforced, and with substantial penalties assessed.
I am not aware of any penalty. I can tell you, firsthand, at 1 Am teams of security swept the ship deck by deck. My son and some other were eating pizza on lido, and were told they needed to go back to their cabin.
So not really an example of a curfew being enforced, but rather another example indicating (to me) that it appears that the cruise line is relying solely on voluntary compliance with curfews. What we've been talking about is what will the cruise line do if the child won't comply and the parent won't do anything about it.

I'm sorry, I don't see any substantial penalties being assessed for breaking curfew in any of the pages you linked to... what you earlier referred to as "consequences" for refusing to comply with the curfew. Perhaps what you were referring to was on some other page? Could you please quote the post showing the penalty being assessed?

I have personally cruised on RCI as a teenager and there was zero curfew. I would roam around the ship unattended w/o a problem. I would work on homework in the library very late into the night and no one said anything. I must have gotten water from the Lido deck too as I get thirsty at night (pun not intended LOL).

I had zero issues.

How long ago was that, though? Sounds like they've instituted a curfew these days. Whether or not it's enforced is another question. Kind of like Carnival. They have some good policies in place that, if enforced, would avoid some of the biggest customer complaints. Problem is, they don't always like to enforce them.

I'm sorry, I don't see any substantial penalties being assessed for breaking curfew in any of the pages you linked to... what you earlier referred to as "consequences" for refusing to comply with the curfew. Perhaps what you were referring to was on some other page? Could you please quote the post showing the penalty being assessed?

As I said earlier, i am not aware of a penalty. i'm sorry if I misunderstood your earlier request. I thought you wanted threads about curfews existing, and them being enforced.

I'm not sure that you will come up with a penalty strict enough to gain 100% compliance. Some people won't believe in the punishment until it happens to them. Some kids will sneak out unbeknownst to parents. Some people will simply break the rule out of ignorance. I am unaware of any rule, law, or policy that has 100% compliance, despite penalties.

As I said earlier, i am not aware of a penalty. i'm sorry if I misunderstood your earlier request. I thought you wanted threads about curfews existing, and them being enforced. I'm not sure that you will come up with a penalty strict enough to gain 100% compliance.
I didn't say anything about 100% compliance. Rather, I was asking about whether any curfews are being enforced in a substantial way, with penalties actually imposed, so perhaps to have some impact on applying a cost of noncompliance when it occurs. Here's the thing: There are myriad posts about misbehavior by teens going unchecked, and no reason to think that the cruise lines are going to do anything to keep teens from disrupting someone else's vacation other than ask the teen to go back to their cabin. I don't see this situation changing. I see misbehavior continuing as it has, with no change forthcoming, both because there isn't any real intention to enforce a curfew and no practical means to do so without it causing too much blow-back on the cruise line to be worth the blow-back they are getting from the disruption.

How long ago was that, though? Sounds like they've instituted a curfew these days. Whether or not it's enforced is another question. Kind of like Carnival. They have some good policies in place that, if enforced, would avoid some of the biggest customer complaints. Problem is, they don't always like to enforce them.

I think the enforcement is the bigger thing. The curfew has been around for awhile from what I remember. Some ships don't bother enforcing it. Or at the least look the other way if someone is just minding their own business, not causing a problem, and doing something contructive. Particularly if they look older and could be 18+.

I didn't say anything about 100% compliance. Rather, I was asking about whether any curfews are being enforced in a substantial way, with penalties actually imposed, so perhaps to have some impact on applying a cost of noncompliance when it occurs. Here's the thing: There are myriad posts about misbehavior by teens going unchecked, and no reason to think that the cruise lines are going to do anything to keep teens from disrupting someone else's vacation other than ask the teen to go back to their cabin. I don't see this situation changing. I see misbehavior continuing as it has, with no change forthcoming, both because there isn't any real intention to enforce a curfew and no practical means to do so without it causing too much blow-back on the cruise line to be worth the blow-back they are getting from the disruption.

I think that's pretty much what RCL does. I believe they just bring the teen back to the cabin. If the teen continually breaks curfew, then they reserve the right to confine them to that cabin (like a quarantine). I doubt that ever really happens though, since I would think most teens, and parents, get the hint the first time if it's done. Plus it's probably a few times before they would do that. If it was really bad, they would probably take them (and family) off the ship anyway, rather then let them keep doing it multiple times. People do get kicked off the ships, for things like fighting and such.

I'm going to pay attention to the threads where the complaints are reported from now on. It seems to me I remember there being a lot of sentiment that the cruise line paid lip service to the complaints about teens misbehaving and disrupting the cruise for other passengers, that the cruise line didn't take effective action, etc. But who knows? Maybe I'm remembering the reports incorrectly.

I think the enforcement is the bigger thing. The curfew has been around for awhile from what I remember. Some ships don't bother enforcing it. Or at the least look the other way if someone is just minding their own business, not causing a problem, and doing something contructive. Particularly if they look older and could be 18+.
Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld. :D He reserves a rental car, but when he got to the counter, the clerk told him they were out of mid-sized cars, which is what he reserved, and only had compacts left. He tried to explain the point of a "reservation." Anybody can take a reservation, but the most important part of the process is holding the reservation. As with cruise ship policies, they can make all the policies they want. Enforcing the policies is where it matters in the end.

Not all kids behave badly, but if there are kids on the ship, there are probably some misbehaving kids on the ship. This applies to all cruise lines.

OTOH, if there are adults on board there are sure to be misbehaving adults. Kids don't have the nuance to discern that some rule breaking (e.g., smuggling alcohol, hogging chairs, ignoring dress codes) is really OK but their rule breaking isn't.

The kids sneaked out without their parents knowledge. Do you think they would have obeyed a curfew after doing what they did?

BTW, the video has been taken down by the poster.

Aww..man. I just stumbled onto this thread and wanted to see it. I have a morbid sense of curiosity.

OTOH, if there are adults on board there are sure to be misbehaving adults. Kids don't have the nuance to discern that some rule breaking (e.g., smuggling alcohol, hogging chairs, ignoring dress codes) is really OK but their rule breaking isn't.

No one's denying that some of the adults on board break rules too. It's even been talked about already in this thread. It's just that the video was of a young kid breaking the rules, not an adult, so that's what's being discussed here. Not only just breaking rules, but doing something dangerous that could've hurt him or others. To me, that's much worse than an adult wearing a T-shirt or flip flops in the MDR.

I can attest that this is a dangerous thing to do. I got landed on by a kid who jumped from a high diving board at my grandma's cottage back in the mid sixties. They had a set of diving boards at the community dock with a high diving board about as high as where this kid jumped from. We had a blast jumping off that board! :D One time a kid next in line didn't wait until I cleared the jump zone and, you guessed it, landed right on top of me. He didn't break my neck but he knocked me silly enough so that my brothers had to drag me out of the water before I drowned.

For anyone who thinks this type of activity is not dangerous have a friend drop an 80 lb. Labrador Retriever off your garage roof onto your head. You can skip the pool part if you don't have one. If you are an animal lover, substitute an 80 lb. bag of cement mix for the Lab. Just have a bag of ice ready for your noggin.:eek:

No one's denying that some of the adults on board break rules too. It's even been talked about already in this thread. It's just that the video was of a young kid breaking the rules, not an adult, so that's what's being discussed here. Not only just breaking rules, but doing something dangerous that could've hurt him or others. To me, that's much worse than an adult wearing a T-shirt or flip flops in the MDR.

Of course, killing your wife trumps jumping into a pool too. :) Not sure there is much more dangerous than that.

I can attest that this is a dangerous thing to do. I got landed on by a kid who jumped from a high diving board at my grandma's cottage back in the mid sixties. They had a set of diving boards at the community dock with a high diving board about as high as where this kid jumped from. We had a blast jumping off that board! :D One time a kid next in line didn't wait until I cleared the jump zone and, you guessed it, landed right on top of me. He didn't break my neck but he knocked me silly enough so that my brothers had to drag me out of the water before I drowned.

For anyone who thinks this type of activity is not dangerous have a friend drop an 80 lb. Labrador Retriever off your garage roof onto your head. You can skip the pool part if you don't have one. If you are an animal lover, substitute an 80 lb. bag of cement mix for the Lab. Just have a bag of ice ready for your noggin.:eek:

Of course it's dangerous. There should absolutely be some kind of punishment for the kid. You HOPE the parents will come down on the kid, but that really depends on the parents. It will be interesting to know if Princess actually does anything, but I suspect even if they did we won't hear about it.

Of course it's dangerous. There should absolutely be some kind of punishment for the kid. You HOPE the parents will come down on the kid, but that really depends on the parents. It will be interesting to know if Princess actually does anything, but I suspect even if they did we won't hear about it.

Of course we won't hear about unless the parents are CC members and post something. Princess, if they do anything to the kid or his family, will do it privately. Maybe we'll see them announcing life guards or addition safety railing on their ships and we can have another thread about it.