Which US States charge port liquor tax?

cpcanuck

I'm fine with paying the extra liquor tax while in port - We will be on holidays and will not quibble over a few cents.

However, I am curious... what US states have liquor tax that impacts cruise ships? Does Florida or California? I understand Texas does... Thanks!

Only 5 states do not have a sales tax on anything (including liquor): AK, DE, MT, NH and OR.

that may be true.... but states could exempt ships... this whole tax thing on drinks in port seems to be somewhat new..

that may be true.... but states could exempt ships... this whole tax thing on drinks in port seems to be somewhat new..

Not that new, we waited to purchase our soda package on board and were advised to wait until after we got out of the port to avoid the tax. This was Miami 2003

I think Texas and NY won't let you use UBP while in port but I know Florida and New Orleans still charge sales tax on UBP.

New York allowed the UBP when I was on Breakaway in February. We just paid around 33 cents per drink in tax until we got out into international waters.

I think Texas and NY won't let you use UBP while in port but I know Florida and New Orleans still charge sales tax on UBP.

You can use ubp in New York all they do is charge the tax on your account and there is no tax in international water

You can use ubp in New York all they do is charge the tax on your account and there is no tax in international water

Correct you are. Funny thing is Carnival in NY and Texas you cannot use their drink package (Cheers) until day 2 of the cruise. For example a 7 night cruise that sails out of NYC, you pay for 6 days of package and cannot use until 2nd day of cruise.