dress code in cagney, manhattan

hearts12

Depends on the ship. Shorts are always permitted in Cagney's. In the aft dining room on Escape and sometimes on Getaway and Breakaway, shorts are permitted. On some ships, the aft dining room requires long pants. Check your freestyle dailies on your cruise to be sure.

Just returned from the BA on Sunday and I have to say it was probably about 40/60 slacks to shorts ratio, with most men also wearing some form of collared shirt. The only restaurant where men with shorts were not permitted was Le Bistro the Night we were there pe but they were allowed to sit in the outside area, just not the main dining room.

thanks for all responses. I didn't know about Manhattan requiring pants.

It is always recommended that men wear pants while dining lest they scare the women and children!;p

We are travelling with our son, daughter-in-law and 3 year old grandson in January. My son only owns jeans. He just doesn't wear anything else. Will he be allowed into Cagneys and Manhattan with jeans?

I think while the BA is doing the Bermuda run that they allow shorts in the Manhattan, however, when we sailed on her doing the FL/Bahamas run I WAS NOT allowed into Manhattan with shorts on. This was awhile ago and things may have changed, but I expect that because the BA is docked for so long, they waive the "slacks in Manhattan" requirement.

When we were on the Gem, shorts were not required in Manhattan. I got tired of arguing with my guys, they would show up wearing pants, and point out all of the men wearing shorts. Years ago on the Jewel, they did enforce it (ds was a tall 12 year old, and they questioned him about his age many times).

I think while the BA is doing the Bermuda run that they allow shorts in the Manhattan, however, when we sailed on her doing the FL/Bahamas run I WAS NOT allowed into Manhattan with shorts on. This was awhile ago and things may have changed, but I expect that because the BA is docked for so long, they waive the "slacks in Manhattan" requirement.

In April on the Bahamas cruise, Manhattan room had the same dress code as the other mdrs. My guess is that most people do not want to dress up and there were longer lines for the other rooms and empty tables in Manhattan room.

When we were on the Gem, shorts were not required in Manhattan. I got tired of arguing with my guys, they would show up wearing pants, and point out all of the men wearing shorts. Years ago on the Jewel, they did enforce it (ds was a tall 12 year old, and they questioned him about his age many times).
We were just on the Gem a month or so ago. Shorts were fine in every restaurant except Le Bistro and the Grand Pacific MDR. In those two only men have to wear long pants and collared shirts. It's spelled out in the Freestyle Daily. We didn't eat in the Grand Pacific but did eat in Le Bistro and everybody we saw followed the dress code.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In April on the Bahamas cruise, Manhattan room had the same dress code as the other mdrs. My guess is that most people do not want to dress up and there were longer lines for the other rooms and empty tables in Manhattan room.

The Manhattan Room has allowed shorts on the BA since the day she was launched (same for the Getaway and Escape).

Even though Cagney's is a specialty venue, you can wear anything there. Saw a multigenerational family with t shirts, cut offs and baseball caps. The junior version, who was in his early 30's has his cap on backwards to differentiate himself from his father.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Even though Cagney's is a specialty venue, you can wear anything there.

There is no designation between the speciality restaurants and MDR's. The dress code is exactly the same between Cagneys and the less formal MDR.

There are so many conflicting stories and misunderstandings about the dress codes, as is demonstrated by this thread. It's fairly simple though.

According to the NCL website, dress code is generally "cruise casual". This is described as:

"For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men."

The website then states "smart casual" is required in the Aft Dining Room and Le Bistro on cruises longer than 5 days. This is described as:

"For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes."

In the real world, the requirement for smart casual doesn't apply in some of the Aft Dining Rooms. From my understanding, this is mainly on the newer ships. I'm not aware of any ships where smart casual isn't officially required in Le Bistro, and it is possible that it may apply to some others on a ship by ship basis (i.e. Bayamo etc).

The ship specific details are always stated in the freestyle dailies.

Also, in the real world, the policing of the dress code can vary from ship to ship, and even from day to day. Just because someone was allowed into Le Bistro wearing shorts today doesn't mean they will be able to tomorrow. If you turn up at any venue dressed in a way that conflicts with the dress code then you run the risk of being turned away, regardless of what has happened previously.

Even though Cagney's is a specialty venue, you can wear anything there.

There is no designation between the speciality restaurants and MDR's. The dress code is exactly the same between Cagneys and the less formal MDR.
The reason I started my post the way I did is because NCL is totally unique regarding their laid back attitude regarding dress codes in the specialty venues. Long pants are a required staple in the steakhouses on Celebrity, Royal and Carnival. I know this from first hand experience. I would have to assume it's the same policy on Princess, HAL and MSC. NCL, with their "free style" concept allows shorts in Cagney's. I did not know the extent of the OP's past cruise experience and possibly they assumed that long pants were a requirement and that is why they started the thread for verification.

The reason I started my post the way I did is because NCL is totally unique regarding their laid back attitude regarding dress codes in the specialty venues.

Absolutely. I think that's why a lot of us end up making that point. I was just reinforcing what you said really.

There is an assumption that the dress code is more strict in the speciality restaurants, and in fact I suspect that people do dress up more there as it is often seen as something of a special occasion.

I'm pretty certain that it would come as a surprise to most new NCL customers (and, going by these forums to a number of longer term ones) that the dress code is usually stricter in one of the MDR's than it is in Cagneys.