Beach Break at Playa Mia Questions

princessjeniffer

For sure, and I would suggest going to Paradise Beach instead. Way less expensive, beach is gorgeous, food/drinks are reasonable, and they have a gorgeous pool! That is the only place we go when we are in Cozumel.

I took the shore ex on the Equinox in May and was disappointed. Even if you go on your own, cost is about $39 pp admission which includes chair, umbrella and open bar and you still have to pay for transportation there and back. I don't think there is an option without the bar. Drinks were ok, nothing special. The water and shore line was loaded with seaweed and the bottom was rocky in many places.

Don't go for the food option. I'm not a food snob and generally have low expectations when it comes to food at places like this, but this food was awful.

I've done Playa Mia before, the last time being about 7 or 8 years ago and thought it was pretty good, even the food wasn't bad. I doubt if I'd go back again. There were 5 ships docked in Cozumel the day we were there and I'm sure every one of them offered the excursion. The place was pretty empty, so that has to tell you something.

Mr. Sancho's may be a better choice. You do not have to pay for the all-inclusive if you do not want. Just pay for the taxi and pay as you go at the beach. Your chances of loungers near the water probably depend on two things: how many ships in port and how early you arrive.

Check out the Cozumel board for more info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

All of the popular beach clubs are lined up along the same side of the island - if seaweed is affecting one, it will affect them all. :(

Playa Mia offers a kiddie water park perfect for toddlers, plus water toys, etc. Not exactly where I would choose to go if it was just two of us.

Paradise Beach and Sanchos are two popular options - Sanchos is primarily all-inclusive (food/drinks) while Paradise Beach is strictly pay as you go.

Another option is Nachi Cocom - smaller, limited to 130 guests per day, AI for about $55 each - very quiet and relaxing with good food, drinks and service. :cool:

Taxi to any of these from the piers will run about $17 each way (fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab). There are 3 cruise ship piers on Coz - be sure you go back to the right one; it can be a challenge after a day of margaritas. ;)

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2017 at 3:28 PM, booklady26 said:

I took the shore ex on the Equinox in May and was disappointed. Even if you go on your own, cost is about $39 pp admission which includes chair, umbrella and open bar and you still have to pay for transportation there and back. I don't think there is an option without the bar. Drinks were ok, nothing special. The water and shore line was loaded with seaweed and the bottom was rocky in many places.

Despite the mediocre reviews here - we're considering Playa Mia next month.  Seems like the best option for our 6 and 8 year olds given the water slide, splash pad, and beach activities.  We don't really care about the food or drinks.

The excursion from Celebrity is basically the same price as booking direct (only $10 more - total for 4).  Wondering though if the Celebrity excursion includes transportation or not (not clear from the comment above)?  This would make it worth it - especially given the ability to cancel.

Thanks -

Mike

Edited by mandream

5 hours ago, mandream said:

Despite the mediocre reviews here - we're considering Playa Mia next month.  Seems like the best option for our 6 and 8 year olds given the water slide, splash pad, and beach activities.  We don't really care about the food or drinks.

The excursion from Celebrity is basically the same price as booking direct (only $10 more - total for 4).  Wondering though if the Celebrity excursion includes transportation or not (not clear from the comment above)?  This would make it worth it - especially given the ability to cancel.

Thanks -

Mike

Yes. Round trip bus transportation is provided.