Some Unrelated Questions From a First Time Oceania Cruiser

Goldenbeacher

Although we have done over 40 cruises, this is our first time on Oceania. We will be on a 28 day trip on the Regatta in September, and I have been getting lots of good advice from these postings. I still have a few questions, and hope to get some answers here. I realize they are minor issues, but will help in my packing. This is the longest single cruise we have ever taken, and I'd like to get some of the details right before taking off.

1) Are the walls magnetic? I usually take some strong magnets to hang hats, etc.

2) Is there a nightlight in the bathroom?

3) Can I ask for wine glasses from the cabin steward to be delivered daily to my room?

4) Is there a good selection of free DVD's to watch in the room? I usually just download movies at home and use a HDMI cable to attach to the room TV if I want to relax and watch a good movie late at night.

We will be in the cheap seats by the way in an inside cabin. We were assigned a handicap cabin. I called and let them know it was not needed, but was told that it was given to us because it was not reserved. I'm not sure if that makes any difference in configuration of room. Thanks so much for any and all responses. We are looking forward to sailing Oceania, and we have yet to find a cruise that we haven't enjoyed, so are confident this will be another great adventure! Not so sure about 28 days in an inside cabin, but that discussion is for another day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Goldenbeacher

Hi Goldenbeacher!

I'll start with the questions for which I'm sure of the answers. We've been on 4 Oceania cruises now -5th coming up in September - in 2 years. Our first was 14 days on Nautical, Rome to Istanbul in Sept. 2015 in an inside handicap cabin (we were told same as you when we insisted it was not needed - you will love the spacious bathroom).

We do take magnets on the smaller R-class ships for our backpacks and hats. Walls definitely metal, and you'll probably put them in that big bathroom like we did. I put a bit of thin paper behind them to keep from making marks on the walls. Can't remember about night lights.

no worries about wine glasses - your room steward will make sure you have clean ones daily. just ask if you don't have them at the start (also tell him/her what kind of soda or still or sparkling water you like so they can keep that stocked in your refrigerator. They usually fill the ice bucket as well.

Oh I hate typing on my iPad! it seems to decide what word I meant and when I'm finished - I wasn't. As far as DVDs they are available somewhere onboard, though we have never used. There will be a lust in your room. There's also a wonderful library where I've borrowed travel books and traded paperbacks. You can always enjoy the library if you tire of your inside cabin. Other than the Panama Canal cruise our trips are so port-intensive that we're too exhausted to do much after dinner beyond sharing photos with family & friends. But I do understand!

We hope you have a wonderful time on your Regatta cruise and envy the 28 days! maybe after we retire!!!

Jan & John

Ok, Nautica not Nautical, and LIST not a "lust" in your room!!

This will be a cruise for our 40th anniversary, and I kind of liked the lust in the room [emoji23]Thanks for the response!

Relax. We too had the handicapped cabin with the large bathroom. We were not so happy with the rest of the cabin

What were you unhappy about with the rest of the cabin? Is there adequate storage space (drawers, shelves, hanging space in closet)? Can't find any pictures of this type of room.

Yes there is a night light sometimes it is in the plug by the desk & sometimes in the bathroom just depends on the housekeeping staff where they decide to put it

It is the square green type just place it where you want

DVD's at reception but there is a list in the cabin over 700 titles last cruise

Good is subjective ;)

They also have movies on TV running at different times during the day

Enjoy

no worries about wine glasses - your room steward will make sure you have clean ones daily. just ask if you don't have them at the start (also tell him/her what kind of soda or still or sparkling water you like so they can keep that stocked in your refrigerator. They usually fill the ice bucket as well.

If you want additional or different wine glasses during the day, the quickest approach in our experience is to call room service (or I would guess your butler if one is in a suite). Room service can also deliver other service items - we had some local cheese and they brought plates, a dinner knife and napkins for us.

What were you unhappy about with the rest of the cabin? Is there adequate storage space (drawers, shelves, hanging space in closet)? Can't find any pictures of this type of room.

This was on Regatta (guarantee cabin) which has small standard inside cabins and baths. The cabin was about twice the size of a standard inside. All the furniture was in one half and the half by the door was empty to allow for wheelchairs. There was no table, just a desk and one chair. No sofa. Bed, one night stand and storage unit. The storage unit was floor to ceiling at the foot of the bed, the TV was to the side with no place to sit or lay directly in front of it. The bath was double in size too with entire middle area left empty. Shower in bathtub arrangement with stairs to climb into the tub. Handicap sink and toilet in one corner. We had a water leak from the ceiling (we were moved for one night) and there is a maintenance closet next door that can be noisy.

We have also stayed in the standard inside which we enjoyed a little better.

This was on Regatta (guarantee cabin) which has small standard inside cabins and baths. The cabin was about twice the size of a standard inside. All the furniture was in one half and the half by the door was empty to allow for wheelchairs. There was no table, just a desk and one chair. No sofa. Bed, one night stand and storage unit. The storage unit was floor to ceiling at the foot of the bed, the TV was to the side with no place to sit or lay directly in front of it.

Yikes!! Surely this cannot be the way we have to live for 28 days! No sofa or table and only one desk chair? I know the online pictures do not depict the actual cabins exactly, but I believe that anyone's expectations would surely include a table of some sort and at least seating for two people. Can I request a table and chair as would be found in any other room to be brought into the empty space? I do not want to go chair shopping instead of local wine shopping on shore! Suggestions, as I am really questioning my choice of this cruise line at the present time.

Can I request a table and chair as would be found in any other room to be brought into the empty space? I do not want to go chair shopping instead of local wine shopping on shore! Suggestions, as I am really questioning my choice of this cruise line at the present time.

Did you book a GTY cabin?

Can you ask to change to another inside not H/C

They are showing Cat F still available might be worth the extra $

to change

You are braver than I

I could not spend that long in an inside cabin no matter what was in it

You could try to upgrade to an outside they have the table & sofa

Edited by LHT28

Also my experience is very dated. The ship has been refurbished since then, maybe contact O for details on the room. At the time, we were very used to small cabins so no impact to us (many Princess insides have only one chair). Now, we do like seating for two :). My main point is to not sweat getting assigned handicapped cabins, some people feel guilty however is seems to happen alot on O, maybe fewer need the cabins?

Yikes!! Surely this cannot be the way we have to live for 28 days! No sofa or table and only one desk chair? I know the online pictures do not depict the actual cabins exactly, but I believe that anyone's expectations would surely include a table of some sort and at least seating for two people. Can I request a table and chair as would be found in any other room to be brought into the empty space? I do not want to go chair shopping instead of local wine shopping on shore! Suggestions, as I am really questioning my choice of this cruise line at the present time.

Hi ! :D I found these 2 pics online. It's on the Regatta, though. Room 4034. Hope it helps!

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/share?via=link&token=2gWs9cGgPwKLsC2vV6etqQ/SFO/27945856768060/SNAPFISH

Thank you so much for the replies. We are also in 4034 on Regatta. The pictures were very helpful. I do see a small table and at least one additional chair. Maybe I don't have to bring folding chairs as my carry-on! I'm sure we will have a lovely trip and if nothing else some great stories to tell! Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for the replies. We are also in 4034 on Regatta. The pictures were very helpful. I do see a small table and at least one additional chair. Maybe I don't have to bring folding chairs as my carry-on! I'm sure we will have a lovely trip and if nothing else some great stories to tell! Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hoooray!! Have a fantastic cruise! a040.gif