Alaska 70 years anniversary

lynn2002

When I booked the 14 night cruise from Seattle, I read that they are laying on special on board festivities to commemorate the anniversary.

I'm cruising on the Amsterdam and curious to know what these festivities are. Anyone been on MS Amsterdam this season and noticed the "festivities"?

"Alaska's 70 years anniversary" of what? Alaska was admitted to statehood on January 3, 1959, so I'm at a loss as to what the title of this Thread is all about - please enlighten me.

In 1947, a gent by the name of Chuck West founded Arctic Alaska tours for visitors to Alaska to go sightseeing. In 1954 Arctic Alaska Tours became Westours which later included hotels, motor coaches, and cruise ships (initially Polar Star and West Star). In 1971, HAL obtained a 70% interest in Westours and in 1977 obtained Westours outright. This year, 2017, HAL marks 70 years of exploring Alaska, started by Chuck West in 1947 :D

When I booked the 14 night cruise from Seattle, I read that they are laying on special on board festivities to commemorate the anniversary.

I'm cruising on the Amsterdam and curious to know what these festivities are. Anyone been on MS Amsterdam this season and noticed the "festivities"?

I was on the Zaandam in June and all I remember is a one of the evening shows was movie footage of Alaska through the seasons with live music from the various bands/performers from the ship. There may have been something in the dining room or lido that I don't remember or didn't see. I know if you booked a land tour you also got a commemorative backpack.

The June Noordam cruise/land tour had Alaska logo shopping bags for each stateroom and each Mckinley Chalet room had two Alaska logoed duffel bags. As a solo, I got two duffel bags and another solo gave me his two bags. They made nice souvenirs.

I don't remember any other 70-years in Alaska festivities on board.

My church has a men's breakfast the last Saturday of each night. One of our members was recently on the Volendam and came sporting an Alaska 70 years ball cap. Very nice!

I hope they still have them on either the Oosterdam or Amsterdam this fall.

Roy

In 1947, a gent by the name of Chuck West founded Arctic Alaska tours for visitors to Alaska to go sightseeing. In 1954 Arctic Alaska Tours became Westours which later included hotels, motor coaches, and cruise ships (initially Polar Star and West Star). In 1971, HAL obtained a 70% interest in Westours and in 1977 obtained Westours outright. This year, 2017, HAL marks 70 years of exploring Alaska, started by Chuck West in 1947 :D

Thanks for the info, Copper10-8 ... and smooth sailing (y) (y) (y)

I'm back from the July 3rd sailing of the Amsterdam and before boarding I was wondering what special festivities there might be. There were some special "themed" type activities, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

Sailing from Seattle: North to Alaska: Bon Voyage Sail Away on aft Lido Deck included special appetizers passed by the crew and drinks (not free).

On most days, there were EXC activities involving the EXC Guide providing port information and information about Alaska. When we were in areas around Hubbard Glacier and sailing in Tracy Arm en route to Sawyer Glacier, she provided commentary that I thought was detailed and interesting.

At Sawyer Glacier, Salmon Chowder was served and at Hubbard Glacier, Dutch Pea Soup was served.

At Icy Point Strait, there was a Beer and Sliders Sail Away and a Wine and Cheese Sail Away at Kodiak.

The MDR menu had many items I have not seen on a HAL dinner menu. For example, Soft Shell Crab, Seafood Pot Pie, Cornflake Crusted Arctic Char, Salmon Jerky, Hot Smoked Salmon, and Halibut, Crab and Shrimp Crostini, Shrimp and Scallop Coconut Red Curry, Guajillo Chile Crusted Rockfish, Seafood Deviled Eggs, etc. Old favorites such a Prime Rib and Wiener Schnitzel were still available.

I thought the food was very good. A couple at my DR table sailed the 2017 World Cruise and agreed; the food was better than during the world cruise.

lynn2002, I hope your cruise will be as great as mine was!