Would You Ever Consider Working on a Carnival Cruise Ship?

Our son is currently in the Shore Excursion department with RCI. The is now on his second contract.

They are on for 7 months at a time then home for 2 months.

His first contract sent him to Europe (where he did the Mediterranean for the first 3 months, then the last 4 doing 5 day Caribbean cruises out of Tampa.

Being in the Shore Excursion department has it's perks.

He regularly got to go on the excursion of his choice and also got LOTS of time to tour on his own when he was not assigned to be on the pier and assisting during excursion co-ordination.

He is now doing the first 4 months of this contract doing the Alaska season, then following that up with Hawaii, Tahiti, the South Pacific and finally New Zealand and Australia.

For some reason he is not enjoying this tour as much as his first tour. Finds the passengers to be very different and the staff of course varies from ship to ship.

The officers and the managers are not nearly as nice and friendly as his first tour.

BTB I only just recently read the the book CRuis conFD. A hoot, and also bit of a downer about how things are for the workers on board ships. But really more of a "what the heck? really?" end result feeling after reading that. Still think a lot of that was embellished, but I would definitely not want to work as a waiter after reading that lol!

I have heard, he made up about 90% of the book and wasn't really a crew member in the sense we think of crew members. Hearsay, maybe. But if that's the way the crew really acted back in the day Carnival would have sunk in the Eastern Caribbean, long ago.

If you've ever talked to any of the crew, cabin stewards, waiters, barkeeps, lido deck workers, el. al., there's no way on God's green earth you would ever, ever have a fantasy of working on a ship. Lounging about around the aft pool it's NOT.

No. I love cruising, and am certain that even one contract would leave me hating it.

On top of everything the pay scale is not very good even for managers. I was recruited by a head hunter several years ago to work in the corporate offices of a cruise line, but the pay was well below the level paid by comparable sized hotel companies.

Would you ever consider working on a Carnival Cruise Ship? How would you feel about a son or daughter doing so? Just curious. I don't recall having ever seen this topic discussed on CC. If it has been, my apologies.

I would LOVE to work the GS desk and interact with some of the people on these boards. I would probably answer some of their so called complaints with "Would you like me to call room service for you and have some cheese delivered to your stateroom? I am sure it would pair well with that whine of yours. Enjoy your evening" [emoji57]

Would you ever consider working on a Carnival Cruise Ship? How would you feel about a son or daughter doing so? Just curious. I don't recall having ever seen this topic discussed on CC. If it has been, my apologies.

I would not but it's all up to them.

I would LOVE to work the GS desk and interact with some of the people on these boards. I would probably answer some of their so called complaints with "Would you like me to call room service for you and have some cheese delivered to your stateroom? I am sure it would pair well with that whine of yours. Enjoy your evening" [emoji57]

You might last a day :D :D

:D

You haven't let me down with your post. ;) Seriously, that would be the very last position I would want.

In lieu of GS work, would you consider the FTTF dept? ;)

Yes I would. Being Barbadian I could make over $4000 local currency each month. With the base monthly pay plus monthly gratuities doing house keeping. That does not even include the extra cash tips.

Yes I would. Being Barbadian I could make over $4000 local currency each month. With the base monthly pay plus monthly gratuities doing house keeping. That does not even include the extra cash tips.
I say, go for it! Let us know if you do it and how it worked out for you.

I say, go for it! Let us know if you do it and how it worked out for you.

If I knew about working on cruise ships when I was younger I totally would. I much prefer to cruise as a guest now. :D

The entertainment staff seem to enjoy their jobs. I think it's a great gig for a young adult/new grad without a solid career path set. It's an opportunity to travel, make money, meet people from around the world, and gain interpersonal skills that can be applied to a future career.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The entertainment staff seem to enjoy their jobs. I think it's a great gig for a young adult/new grad without a solid career path set. It's an opportunity to travel, make money, meet people from around the world, and gain interpersonal skills that can be applied to a future career.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They do seem to enjoy their jobs. I wonder how much of that is genuine and how much of it is working to appear to enjoy their jobs? I guess we'll never know. I agree it's a nice gig for someone just out of college.

I used to think being piano bar entertainer could be interesting; off all day, play and sing all night. Visit ports. Probably a single cabin at that level. Good way to go for a few contracts. But you probably have to play sweet Caroline and piano man every day, so there's trade offs.

I used to think being piano bar entertainer could be interesting; off all day, play and sing all night. Visit ports. Probably a single cabin at that level. Good way to go for a few contracts. But you probably have to play sweet Caroline and piano man every day, so there's trade offs.
"Piano Man" TWICE a day. :)

In lieu of GS work, would you consider the FTTF dept? ;)

[emoji23]....That was good....Could you picture me controlling how many FTTF passes were available for a sailing? These people are crazed now, I would drive them ballastic. One minute there would be 20 FTTF slots available for sale....oh wait, let me update that to Zero....SOLD OUT, get in line...."No FIRSTIE for you" (Seinfeld Soup Na(z)i voice) [emoji23]