Would You Ever Consider Working on a Carnival Cruise Ship?

[emoji23]....That was good....Could you picture me controlling how many FTTF passes were available for a sailing? These people are crazed now, I would drive them ballastic. One minute there would be 20 FTTF slots available for sale....oh wait, let me update that to Zero....SOLD OUT, get in line...."No FIRSTIE for you" (Seinfeld Soup Na(z)i voice) [emoji23]

You're HIRED! :')

I love cruising as a passenger but I don't think working on a ship in a service capacity would have been my thing even when I was young and single - I don't like people that much. LOL

I have a friend that worked for CCL Corporate in their Marketing department, and she loved working for them. Long hours but she got some great perks including free cruises. And my daughter has a dance friend who did a gap year between high school and college and spent it as a dancer on a few different ships. After a year of it she was kind of burnt out by the confinement of it and was glad to be back on dry land and starting college, although she said that as an entertainer she did have free time to explore some ports during the day whereas staff in the more service oriented capacities basically never got off the ship.

I'm a registered nurse in a community ER. Now that my girls are mid teens and DH is near retirement, I would love the opportunity to use my skills in this type of environment. I would actively pursue a nursing job aboard a cruise ship but I think the contracts are too long. But if the perks ie. free cruises possibly, may be worth it [emoji848]

Not any more--too old. I could see myself holding the Carnival lollipop sign to direct airport arrivals to the shuttle busses and the check in counter in Miami if I retire to Florida. lol But that's not on the cruise ship, and I don't know if those people actually work for Carnival.

I am in IT, so I won't find anything close to what I do, but perhaps I could be a future cruises advisor. I am doing it for free now and enjoying. And most importantly people are satisfied! :)

They would have to allow my DH to live onboard ... and he would work remotely too.

Worked onboard for 2 contracts as a photographer... and 1/2 as a karaoke host (hated that)... I had an AMAZING time and met some wonderful people that I still keep up with! I was young and it was my gap year(s). I worked LONG hours but time is kind of not linear onboard since you live, work, play, exist onboard... you get really close with people very fast and things are routine yet always changing. Some days it felt like one of those videos where everything g and everyone around was moving fast but I was standing still or in slow motion... but I loved it when I was there and, although I am grown up, stable and have real responsibilities now, I sometimes miss the ship life. It's kinda like an international summer camp, but you have to work... but we also played hard and had parties etc (although they have really cracked down on that since my days). So to answer OP question, yes without a doubt I would support them working onboard... knowing they would never get hired for waiter, steward etc... (no American or English due to International contracts only) they would get a great life experience and meet lots of new people and experience many cultures... I don't know if I would recommend it as a career, but it's a super experience!

Hi,

Our son will be going on his 2nd Cruise Contract September 2nd. He's on the Fun Staff, will turn 26 about a week after he gets back onboard. He's single, no children, and enjoys his job. I went on his 1st cruise this last Feb and will be going on this next cruise in Feb 2018.

I'm so proud of him, and naturally I think he does a great job.:D

:) Bobbi

Worked onboard for 2 contracts as a photographer... and 1/2 as a karaoke host (hated that)... I had an AMAZING time and met some wonderful people that I still keep up with! I was young and it was my gap year(s). I worked LONG hours but time is kind of not linear onboard since you live, work, play, exist onboard... you get really close with people very fast and things are routine yet always changing. Some days it felt like one of those videos where everything g and everyone around was moving fast but I was standing still or in slow motion... but I loved it when I was there and, although I am grown up, stable and have real responsibilities now, I sometimes miss the ship life. It's kinda like an international summer camp, but you have to work... but we also played hard and had parties etc (although they have really cracked down on that since my days). So to answer OP question, yes without a doubt I would support them working onboard... knowing they would never get hired for waiter, steward etc... (no American or English due to International contracts only) they would get a great life experience and meet lots of new people and experience many cultures... I don't know if I would recommend it as a career, but it's a super experience!

Thanks for sharing you experience. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your contracts for the most part. I'm with you. I would also hate running karaoke. As a photographer, I think you may have had one of the better jobs.

I have a 2 year old so obviously my answer is "Yes please. Take me and I'll work for free" lol

Honestly though if I was single and childless it seems like a great opportunity but I'm not sure if I could hack it for the long haul. My background is in cosmetics sales so if I did it it would probably be for one of the companies that provides the retail onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work in the IT field as a developer. If they had something on the ship that I could do that would be behind a computer or working on the computers/network and I didn't have a family then definitely. I wouldn't be no steward or work as a waiter or anything like that.

Although the "Fun Squad" jobs look pretty fun!

They have outsourced their IT to India

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As an entertainer, YES,,,,,but as a steward, or waiter,,,not a chance. (I used to maintain the hardware on the "on board SUN computers" many years ago, but that was done when the ships were in port,,,,not at sea.)

"SKY"

We have friends in our town whose daughter is on an entertainment team on the valor. She enjoys working on the entertainment team.

I'm a registered nurse in a community ER. Now that my girls are mid teens and DH is near retirement, I would love the opportunity to use my skills in this type of environment. I would actively pursue a nursing job aboard a cruise ship but I think the contracts are too long. But if the perks ie. free cruises possibly, may be worth it [emoji848]

Typical contracts are 6-8 months but would imagine would get time to see the ports

good point. wonder if they get less self entitled passengers on upscale cruise lines

I doubt it' date=' will give you some feedback when we sail Azamara next month. My guess self entitlement would be worse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I doubt it, will give you some feedback when we sail Azamara next month. My guess self entitlement would be worse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with Jimbo. Higher on the economic scale, the more of a PITA entitlement they become. Give Bubba from the trailer park another PBR, he is happy. Give his girlfriend a shiny ship on a stick, she will go away content. You go up higher on the scale, and the entitlement grows exponentially....Here is the dead giveaway when people want only what they want, not an equitable compromise....you ready...."I want to speak to your supervisor". When you hear that, the person complaining only wants what THEY want, they are not concerned with being fair

Worked onboard for 2 contracts as a photographer... and 1/2 as a karaoke host (hated that)...

Your post made me laugh. I've had a mobile DJ company on the side for sixteen years and every one of my guys would rather be beat than run karaoke. It would be more fun if we could pass out three softballs to the members of the audience.

I didn't learn A/V until my 30's, but would have loved a year or so after college doing tech. Those guys (and a few gals) work hard, play hard and are treated well. I've talked to some of the techs before while on shore and they do 2-3 contracts and then move on.

Cruise Confidential did shed some interesting light, but the author wandered off on rabbit trails more than once. Take a Behind The Scenes Tour sometime and see the I-95. The carpet ends and the stairs are steep.

If they had an IT job on the ship I could do it. I wouldn't sign up to be a steward or anything. I'd need it to be where I'm off football season and I work the rest of the year. I probably wouldn't do it though because I've found when you work some place you tend to not want to go there during your off time...so it would probably ruin cruises for me.

My hubby would make a great cruise director or gym trainer. I think I would enjoy working as a gym trainer (need to lose my cruise weight first though; HA!) or in one of the onboard shops. Being a barrista at the pay-for ice cream/dessert/coffee bar wouldn't be too bad either.

I think I would make a really good chair hog Police Woman too! :confused::cool::D

Would you ever consider working on a Carnival Cruise Ship? How would you feel about a son or daughter doing so? Just curious. I don't recall having ever seen this topic discussed on CC. If it has been, my apologies.

I would support it. A great chance to meet people from all walks of life and different cultures. That's always good. And hard work, I'm sure, that's good for kids as well! My husband and I are young empty-nesters (still in our 40's) and we have thought about doing it ourselves. lol I'm in finance and he's in IT, we are a bit nomadic so it might be the perfect for for us, if we could get on the same ship. Haha