Castle of Rhine Northbound

rubinstein2r

We are traveling in early October and I see the first day and night are spent in Basel. What time should we plan to arrive (coming from Zurich)? Should we plan on touring Basel after dropping off luggage? Will there be tours offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are traveling in early October and I see the first day and night are spent in Basel. What time should we plan to arrive (coming from Zurich)? Should we plan on touring Basel after dropping off luggage? Will there be tours offered?

We did this in 2014, also arriving from Zurich independently via rental car. We dropped the car off at the airport around 1PM and caught a Uniworld transfer to the ship. After lunch we went out on our own for a few hours, as there were no tours offered that day.

How are you getting from Zurich to the boat? It's a little over an hour drive from Zurich.

To answer your questions (my opinion) - arrive whenever you'd like from late morning until mid-afternoon. You will be able to drop your luggage, and have lunch on board, but rooms likely won't be ready until 2PM or thereabouts.

You will have a chance to tour Basel on your own after lunch, which I'd recommend doing. There is a tram station (Kleinhüningen) about 1/2km from the Dreiländereck dock (most common location for Uniworld). It's an easy flat walk from the dock to the tram, and it will take you right to the Mittlere Brücke in Old Town, Kleinbasel. Old Town Grossbasel is right across that bridge.

I don't know anything about a possible shuttle into town because they weren't doing that when we did this itinerary. They were not offering any tours either.

Just make sure you know what time you have to get back. They will want you back before dinner for the safety drill, which is a pain because it cuts your time short in Basel. We had to be back on by 5:45 for the safety drill, but we could have easily spent more time in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently sailed this full itinerary but with Viking.

On my review the second part covers the itinerary...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/05/12/viking-eir-rhine-getaway-april-2017/

Basel is well worth a visit and I'd recommend making the most of it.

One particular place to visit is the Basel Rathaus...

34290347622_19e6b6170f_z.jpg

Do make the effort to go inside, the courtyard is as good as the outside...

34319476151_6389ae9fd0_z.jpg