Glacier Bay vs Sawyer Glacier?

Wpooh1968

My husband and I are planning an Alaskan cruise in August 2018 (our 13th cruise). This is to celebrate my 50th birthday, his 56th birthday and our 16th wedding anniversary...not to mention check Alaska off my bucket list. We are set with NCL because we are platinum, but not set on north or southbound. North cruises Glacier Bay. South cruises Tracy's Arm and Sawyer Glacier. So if this will be our one and only trip to Alaska, which is better in August, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier? Thanks, Jill and Tim :)

Glacier Bay never seems to be missed!

Tracy Arm is missed frequently especially earlier in the season. Last year, ships didn't make it until August. This year, some ships made it at the end of July. I have had 4 attempts to see the glaciers at the end (Sawyer glacier) and have yet to get there.

If it is your only trip there, go with Glacier Bay. Some here may disagree but they go multiple times and if they miss it, they have already seen it so it is not as big of a deal as missing it on your only trip.

Also, Glacier Bay only allows 2 ships per day. More ships would go if they could.

I find the planning is better, IF you determine if "glaciers" are your top priority? IF so, then in my opinion, you need to stack the decks and focus on glacier tours. BUT, if your visit is for "Alaska", I'd suggest looking at the WHOLE itinerary.

In NCL's case, it could be very worthwhile to get to Hoonah?

I never book based on "platinum" status but since you are, take a look at each itinerary, port times and determine- now, how you wish to spend your time and what touring you are going to do.

Especially with Seward- and a "glacier" priority, get yourself on board a Kenai Fjords boat tour, then also add a Prince William Sound one. Both of these are superior for glacier viewing compared to cruise ship transits of either Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm.

Loads of choices, don't jump into a decision, It's seen numerous times, the fine tuning changes that occur with the more you find out and determine what's of interest to you. It may be that "glacier" priority is only a fraction of your trip?

To be 99.9% certain that you will see some glaciers while on your cruise, I recommend the itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. During my July 3rd sailing of the Amsterdam, we were able to get into Tracy Arm and very close to Sawyer Glacier. But, the conditions differ from day to day.

Budget Queen's advice to carefully consider the entire cruise itinerary is excellent advice. Look at port times and possible reasons to visit each port before you make a decision.

For those that can't decide.... Holland America, Princess and some other cruise lines offer a combo itinerary. Glacier Bay gets the full day, but Tracy Arm gets a half day side excursion with Juneau.

I find the planning is better, IF you determine if "glaciers" are your top priority? IF so, then in my opinion, you need to stack the decks and focus on glacier tours. BUT, if your visit is for "Alaska", I'd suggest looking at the WHOLE itinerary.

In NCL's case, it could be very worthwhile to get to Hoonah?

I never book based on "platinum" status but since you are, take a look at each itinerary, port times and determine- now, how you wish to spend your time and what touring you are going to do.

Especially with Seward- and a "glacier" priority, get yourself on board a Kenai Fjords boat tour, then also add a Prince William Sound one. Both of these are superior for glacier viewing compared to cruise ship transits of either Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm.

Loads of choices, don't jump into a decision, It's seen numerous times, the fine tuning changes that occur with the more you find out and determine what's of interest to you. It may be that "glacier" priority is only a fraction of your trip?

Thank you. When I say platinum, I mean because of our number of cruises we get perks on NCL. Glaciers are not a priority. I have read where Sawyer Glacier can be difficult to view and we want to see at least one. The only differences for itinerary: North goes to Glacier Bay and South instead goes to Hoonah/Icy Straight and Sawyer Glacier, but less time in Juneau.

Glacier Bay never seems to be missed!

Tracy Arm is missed frequently especially earlier in the season. Last year, ships didn't make it until August. This year, some ships made it at the end of July. I have had 4 attempts to see the glaciers at the end (Sawyer glacier) and have yet to get there.

If it is your only trip there, go with Glacier Bay. Some here may disagree but they go multiple times and if they miss it, they have already seen it so it is not as big of a deal as missing it on your only trip.

Also, Glacier Bay only allows 2 ships per day. More ships would go if they could.

This is a huge help. Thanks

Thank you. When I say platinum, I mean because of our number of cruises we get perks on NCL. Glaciers are not a priority. I have read where Sawyer Glacier can be difficult to view and we want to see at least one. The only differences for itinerary: North goes to Glacier Bay and South instead goes to Hoonah/Icy Straight and Sawyer Glacier, but less time in Juneau.

Yes, I know what ":platinum" is. I still would never give this any priority with Alaska itineraries. I find doing so, eliminates a lot of options.

It also can be of significant benefit to try new cruise lines. :)

Regardless of route, you will see glaciers if the fog/mist lifts. There are approx 100,000 glaciers in Alaska (http://www.nls.gov), and we saw dozens from our balcony.

We did Tracy Arm in mid-July aboard the Grand Princess. For us, one of the highlights was the very narrow fjord, waterfalls on each side of the ship, and plenty of sea ice - not large chunks, but many pieces. The GP went as far as reasonable into the fjord. The glacier was partially hidden by our approach angle and distance but we could clearly see parts of the face joining the water. Rumors of Sawyer Glaciers vast retreat are greatly exaggerated :) The width and depth are smaller, as are most glaciers the last several hundred years, but still impressive!

So, hope this provides some perspective. Either route has its benefits and grand wonders!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, I know what ":platinum" is. I still would never give this any priority with Alaska itineraries. I find doing so, eliminates a lot of options.

It also can be of significant benefit to try new cruise lines. :)

Thank you. Yes, we have looked at other cruise lines itineraries.

My husband and I are planning an Alaskan cruise in August 2018 (our 13th cruise). This is to celebrate my 50th birthday, his 56th birthday and our 16th wedding anniversary...not to mention check Alaska off my bucket list. We are set with NCL because we are platinum, but not set on north or southbound. North cruises Glacier Bay. South cruises Tracy's Arm and Sawyer Glacier. So if this will be our one and only trip to Alaska, which is better in August, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier? Thanks, Jill and Tim :)

If your goal is to see glaciers from the ship, then go with glacier bay. However, if you are spending time in AK, either before or after, you get much better glacier access on a day cruise out of Whittier or Seward and if you are in Anchorage a couple of days you can drive to Manatuska and go walking on the glacier and see exactly how it interacts with land.