good hotel in fort lauderdale ?

smith6

Hi need suggestions on a good hotel in Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay. Not too expensive but would like a nice clean hotel with amenities such as pool, bar etc with easy access to cruise terminal. Thanks:)

LOL it's good you're not asking for a lot....what do you consider "not too expensive" for a major resort destination at dependent on the time of year could have significantly better weather then the majority of the country ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If price is major factor look at hotels closer to FLL and further from ocean. There are many to choose from.

Our favorite, the Embassy Suites isn't the cheapest but is close to cruise port, has lots of nearby restaurants, offers great free breakfast and free drinks nightly at mgrs reception.

Get over to the Florida Departures board for specific help. Too, you will need to add info to your post....date, budget, number of guests etc. The date will determine price no matter which hotel you choose. A hotel that runs $300 in February will run half that in off season.

Fort Lauderdale is not large. You can see the cruise ships from the airport...a ten min. ride to the port from there. If you are spending a good part of the day or night in Ft. L, I'd stay in the city which is minutes from the port. Don't stay by the airport to enjoy the city.

Again, head to the Florida board for guidance.

We usually get a suite on board so we don't feel like we need anything more than a hotel room for the overnight. We're certainly not going to spend $200+ for a hotel room we're in for maybe 15 hours. We don't need something right on the water and we don't wake up to watch the ships come in -- I didn't even know people did that until I read it here. I don't get it, but that's ok. We don't make a big deal of dinner either. We know we've got 10-14 days on a ship with more than enough food and pampering. We like to relax that night and watch a movie in the room and have a good night's sleep.

We usually get to FLL about sunset or a bit after, and we check into the Holiday Inn Express that's on the boulevard a couple of miles from the port. We wake up leisurely and get our stuff together, maybe get something last minute by walking across the street to the grocery store or to the drugstore down the street. Then we pay for a taxi about 10:45 to take us to the ship. We don't take shuttles. We don't need a pool, we don't need anything but a comfortable bed and a very light (free) breakfast in the morning. We typically use our points to get a free room.

Hi need suggestions on a good hotel in Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay. Not too expensive but would like a nice clean hotel with amenities such as pool, bar etc with easy access to cruise terminal. Thanks:)

We always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn..they have free airport and port transportation, a full service restaurant, nice pool, clean and comfortable rooms and a reasonable price, also a nice quiet location...downside is you really can't walk anywhere but if you want a reasonably priced hotel with on site food, pool and a free ride to the port, I'd recommend it.

We always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn..they have free airport and port transportation, a full service restaurant, nice pool, clean and comfortable rooms and a reasonable price, also a nice quiet location...downside is you really can't walk anywhere but if you want a reasonably priced hotel with on site food, pool and a free ride to the port, I'd recommend it.

I am a Hilton Diamond member so your comments intrigued me as I have never found Hilton property in FLL that offered this. Their website says free airport transportation, but a charter (ie, paid transportation) to the port. Not saying this hotel is bad advice (like HGI's very much) but doesn't sound like both are free which is how I read your comments (maybe I misinterpreted).

We often stay at the Doubletree GalleryOne. No free transportation, but an inexpensive Uber ride. Nice hotel right on the Intracoastal waterway (and a stop for same), and you can easily walk to many restaurants, a mall, and a grocery store. Can be a bit pricey depending on time of year.

We usually get a suite on board so we don't feel like we need anything more than a hotel room for the overnight. We're certainly not going to spend $200+ for a hotel room we're in for maybe 15 hours. We don't need something right on the water and we don't wake up to watch the ships come in -- I didn't even know people did that until I read it here. I don't get it, but that's ok. We don't make a big deal of dinner either. We know we've got 10-14 days on a ship with more than enough food and pampering. We like to relax that night and watch a movie in the room and have a good night's sleep.

We usually get to FLL about sunset or a bit after, and we check into the Holiday Inn Express that's on the boulevard a couple of miles from the port. We wake up leisurely and get our stuff together, maybe get something last minute by walking across the street to the grocery store or to the drugstore down the street. Then we pay for a taxi about 10:45 to take us to the ship. We don't take shuttles. We don't need a pool, we don't need anything but a comfortable bed and a very light (free) breakfast in the morning. We typically use our points to get a free room.

Right on! This is exactly what we do....but if we are flying from a potential airport problem in the winter (Chicago, etc), we book two nights for insurance. Easy to walk to a lot of restaurants.

Depending on how many cruises are sailing and what other events are happening in Ft. Lauderdale at the time, prices can vary dramatically. When prices are good we'll stay in the Stirling Road area or something else close to the cruise port. When they're not, we'll go further out. We can rent a car from Thrifty at the airport, return it at Port Everglades, and save money over the cost of a hotel near the port.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Intercoatal last October. Fantastic! The free breakfast was very good, pool was great, restaurant was reasonable and there was a Walgreens and another restaurant within walking distance. Our room faced the intercoastal and I sat on the balcony all day watching everything! Fantastic!

We stayed at the Residence Inn Intercoatal last October. Fantastic! The free breakfast was very good, pool was great, restaurant was reasonable and there was a Walgreens and another restaurant within walking distance. Our room faced the intercoastal and I sat on the balcony all day watching everything! Fantastic!

How far is it from port?

Which hotels would you recommend for someone who doesn't have a car

We've been staying at the Westin on the Beach, which is very expensive. Really too expensive for what it offers. Now i see they have increased their resort fee to $45 and it's not much of a resort!

We go for 2 nights, also afraid of snowstorm problems.

There are restaurants nearby and in the hotel and we can easily take the bus to the Galeria where we love the Jan. sales.

No country does sales like the US!

Try the Pelican Grand. We come to Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise every year during the holidays (meaning most hotel rates are at peak prices) and have tried many hotels. The one we come back to the most is the Pelican Grand. Rates can be all over the place but check them out because if you catch an offer you can catch a good deal. We like that it's on the quieter part of the beach and away from the busy strip. Getting a cab to dinner and the port is easy. It's pretty easy to get around in Fort Lauderdale. Even if your not right near the port you are not far away. Good luck.

Last trip the ship left on a Friday in March 2017 so we stayed on a Thursday night at the Hilton Marina. We upgraded to the Tower for $25 and got a nice room with a balcony looking at the port. Unlike one poster we do enjoy getting up and watching the ship sail in. What great anticipation for the cruise! We got a reasonable rate (about $209). The port is 10 minutes away ($10 cab ride). The taxi ride is about $20 from the airport. We get to the ship early sp breakfast is not a factor for us.

The hotel featured a nice outdoor bar and food area (good but not cheap drinks), a very very nice pool, nice restaurants nearby and a stop on the water taxi. You could also watch the drawbridge on the 17th St. Bridge which was pretty cool.

It was a great way to start a vacation. Some people have reported elevator and room problems but we found none and we are fussy. You can see that the hotel has been worked on with new bathrooms.

We've also stayed at the Residence Inn when we had a group of 6 and saved money by getting a suite which slept everyone. There was a really nice fish restaurant right across the street (Islamorada) which was very convenient.

We used to stay at the Sheraton but that is closed for renovation and rebranding.

Enjoy your cruising days.

I am a Hilton Diamond member so your comments intrigued me as I have never found Hilton property in FLL that offered this. Their website says free airport transportation, but a charter (ie, paid transportation) to the port. Not saying this hotel is bad advice (like HGI's very much) but doesn't sound like both are free which is how I read your comments (maybe I misinterpreted).

We often stay at the Doubletree GalleryOne. No free transportation, but an inexpensive Uber ride. Nice hotel right on the Intracoastal waterway (and a stop for same), and you can easily walk to many restaurants, a mall, and a grocery store. Can be a bit pricey depending on time of year.

I admit it's been a while since I've stayed there but like you, I checked their website and you are right, there is a charge for the cruise port...I know the last time I cruised from FLL I took a shuttle type bus from the hotel to the port, for which I needed a reservation...it's entirely possible the charge was added to my bill and I didn't notice it....but I regret the confusion. I am interested in the Doubletree you mentioned since Doubletree and Embassy are my two favorite Hilton properties....when you say there's a stop for the hotel does that mean the water taxi and will it take you to the beach?

I understand exactly where you are coming from and I can understand how, as US cruisers, perhaps you now take for granted certain things that those of us flying into Florida from afar still appreciate and enjoy...

The heat and a pool...

A chance to unwind and reset body clock after a long flight.

The novelty we still see in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami. They, the Keys, the Everglades....are all holiday destinations in their own right and if you are flying in from some distance it is worth while making the most of whatever time you have....it is part of your holiday...

The thrill of seeing your ship come into port (yes, it was me who admitted to getting up early to enjoy).

The chance to dine somewhere different if we choose.

We also book suites on board, but that does not prevent us enjoying 1/2 days in a nice location first....Just as if you were cruising from Southampton you may enjoy an add on.

To come back to the OP....we find Embassy Suites is great as a good all round hotel (and you can enjoy seeing the ship come in). We have also enjoyed beach locations. Next year we are looking at booking a condo or small villa, maybe a bit more out of the main location but offering another way to make the most of our pre cruise break. I suggest you look carefully at your timing and circumstances and see what you want out of a pre cruise stay...if it is just a one night bed, go for cheap and cheerful, if you can extend your stay at all or want your overnight stay to be 'something special' in its own right look at all options.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and I can understand how, as US cruisers, perhaps you now take for granted certain things that those of us flying into Florida from afar still appreciate and enjoy...

The heat and a pool...

A chance to unwind and reset body clock after a long flight.

The novelty we still see in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami. They, the Keys, the Everglades....are all holiday destinations in their own right and if you are flying in from some distance it is worth while making the most of whatever time you have....it is part of your holiday...

The thrill of seeing your ship come into port (yes, it was me who admitted to getting up early to enjoy).

The chance to dine somewhere different if we choose.

We also book suites on board, but that does not prevent us enjoying 1/2 days in a nice location first....Just as if you were cruising from Southampton you may enjoy an add on.

To come back to the OP....we find Embassy Suites is great as a good all round hotel (and you can enjoy seeing the ship come in). We have also enjoyed beach locations. Next year we are looking at booking a condo or small villa, maybe a bit more out of the main location but offering another way to make the most of our pre cruise break. I suggest you look carefully at your timing and circumstances and see what you want out of a pre cruise stay...if it is just a one night bed, go for cheap and cheerful, if you can extend your stay at all or want your overnight stay to be 'something special' in its own right look at all options.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise.

As a Long Islander I share your feelings about the pool and the sunshine and the beaches (in winter, in summer we have our own!). I know this is off topic, but if you're thinking of renting a condo you might look at the St. Pete Beach area. You would fly into Tampa (major international airport) and depending on the day of the week and the time of the day, it could take about 35 to 45 minutes to be in Redington Beach. We usually stay at the beautiful Doubletree Hotel, which has a full restaurant, pool AND beach on the Gulf. They also have a beach lovers package (or used to) that included breakfast and a reserved cabana for the length of your stay in a water front room with a balcony. There are also loads of condos for rent ranging from small cottages to luxurious condos with prices to match. Loads to see and do if you want a day off from the beach and plenty of places to eat. You would need a car of course.

As a Long Islander I share your feelings about the pool and the sunshine and the beaches (in winter, in summer we have our own!). I know this is off topic, but if you're thinking of renting a condo you might look at the St. Pete Beach area. You would fly into Tampa (major international airport) and depending on the day of the week and the time of the day, it could take about 35 to 45 minutes to be in Redington Beach. We usually stay at the beautiful Doubletree Hotel, which has a full restaurant, pool AND beach on the Gulf. They also have a beach lovers package (or used to) that included breakfast and a reserved cabana for the length of your stay in a water front room with a balcony. There are also loads of condos for rent ranging from small cottages to luxurious condos with prices to match. Loads to see and do if you want a day off from the beach and plenty of places to eat. You would need a car of course.

Sincere thanks for your suggestions....I will be browsing! We always try to extend our Caribbean cruise stays (beginning and end if we can fix it)! We have overnighted near St. Pete's but never explored further than Busch Gardens! Only goes to show that every Caribbean cruise offers the opportunity for yet another different Floridian vacation....