Medallion should be simple to use

caribill

3) please tell me these touchscreens around the ship aren't going to light up as I go past with my name and offers like some sort of sci-fi movie. Cause that I'd hate.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think anyone knows for sure what they'll do but even if it does, so what? You don't read every billboard driving down the road, do you?

Just ignore them if the adds do appear. :D

Interesting thread. That I'm coming late to. I'm all for technology and want to try it. Questions, though, if anyone knows answers.

1) do you get a medallion for each cruise or are you expected to not lose it between cruises?

2) if new on each time I'm guessing you don't have to reprogram your preferences?

3) please tell me these touchscreens around the ship aren't going to light up as I go past with my name and offers like some sort of sci-fi movie. Cause that I'd hate.

Thanks.

You get a new medallion each cruise. The medallion has the voyage etched onto it. No worries about losing it between cruises.

Your preferences are not stored on the medallion. It is simply a unique identifier that lets the ship know who you are. Your preferences are stored securely in the ships system and in the system onshore.

You will have to manually choose to interact with the touch screens around the ship.

Billboards aren't personalized. It's the privacy thing. But Rocketman is right. Too many people in area to make that likely.

It doesn't bother me one bit since they already know much more than you think.

I get pop ups on my cell phone right now that appear as I travel down the road which are tailored to my likes. Not that I support their advertising but when certain apps are free to use, who cares.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what they'll do but even if it does, so what? You don't read every billboard driving down the road, do you?

Just ignore them if the adds do appear. :D

Some people cruise to get away from things like the billboard barrage. Some cities are banning them as "visual pollution."

David Ogilvy, widely considered the father of modern advertising, expressed his disdain for the medium back in 1963. “Man is at his vilest when he erects a billboard,” Ogilvy wrote.

Edited by latserrof
context

2) if new on each time I'm guessing you don't have to reprogram your preferences?

You get a new medallion each cruise. The medallion has the voyage etched onto it. No worries about losing it between cruises.

Your preferences are not stored on the medallion. It is simply a unique identifier that lets the ship know who you are. Your preferences are stored securely in the ships system and in the system onshore.

What nobody on Cruise Critic can tell you yet is if these preferences will automatically show up on My Princess for your next cruise (like you passport info does) of if you have to enter them again for each cruise.

What nobody on Cruise Critic can tell you yet is if these preferences will automatically show up on My Princess for your next cruise (like you passport info does) of if you have to enter them again for each cruise.

If you actually think Princess won't hold onto your info you are crazy. They will take anything and everything you are willing to give them. In my case, they ca have the stuff I give them. I don't have an issue with it at all.

Some people cruise to get away from things like the billboard barrage. Some cities are banning them as "visual pollution."

David Ogilvy, widely considered the father of modern advertising, expressed his disdain for the medium back in 1963. “Man is at his vilest when he erects a billboard,” Ogilvy wrote.

I can accept the concept of visual pollution but at least it might be tailored to your individual taste and not just anything & everything like billboards.

I know not of what people speak when they speak of "billboards". David Ogilvy would not recognize the interactive screens placed around the ship as "billboards". They are information panels that will serve as maps and "on demand" Patters. If you are not offended by the advertising on your Patters, (and I suspect most people are not since there was an uproar here on CC when it was suggested that the printed copy would be retired), then you won't be offended by the information panels. Think of it this way. Let's say that you are out and about on the ship and your Patter is in your cabin. You wonder aloud what the theme is going to be for dinner at the Horizon Court that evening. Italian? German? Asian? You recall that there is usually a little rectangle at the bottom of one of the inner pages of the Patter that provides this information, but your Patter is in your cabin. You could:

a) Go back to your cabin to pick up your Patter

b) Go up to the Horizon Court to see if the information is posted outside the entrance

c) Go to Passenger Services and see if one of the helpful people there might know

d) Check your smartphone which you have connected to the ship's intranet and medallion system, or

e) Tap on the interactive screen that you just passed to check the dining options for the evening.

Princess is counting on you altering your past behavior to do either (d) or (e). And why wouldn't you? I don't think David Ogilvy would think any less of our society if we did so.

Royal Caribbean has been using the touch screens on their ships since 2011. They work well and are easy to use. One of the best features is the restaurant option where you click on any dining venue and it has three colors. Green(open not busy), Orange(open but getting busy), Red(open and very busy). This way you can choose where do dine based on how long of wait there may be.

Royal Caribbean has been using the touch screens on their ships since 2011. They work well and are easy to use. One of the best features is the restaurant option where you click on any dining venue and it has three colors. Green(open not busy), Orange(open but getting busy), Red(open and very busy). This way you can choose where do dine based on how long of wait there may be.

Do they also provide people with a copy of the DR menu?

I am of the opinion that this new technology is pretty cool.

That being said, I am one of the most tech-averse people you will ever meet (after 40 years ITB). I currently do not have any Medallion cruises booked. However, whenever I do receive my first medallion, I may or may not do anything with it. When I get to my cabin, I foresee leaving my telephone and wallet in the safe as is my usual custom.

Here is something I just considered. It seems to me that these public touch screens can be used with or without the medallion. If all I want is directions to the buffet or today's menu for the dining room and I don't happen to have my medallion on me (I can't imagine why I wouldn't have my medallion, but work with me, here.), is there any reason why I couldn't walk up to the screen and get that info?

I am of the opinion that this new technology is pretty cool.

That being said, I am one of the most tech-averse people you will ever meet (after 40 years ITB). I currently do not have any Medallion cruises booked. However, whenever I do receive my first medallion, I may or may not do anything with it. When I get to my cabin, I foresee leaving my telephone and wallet in the safe as is my usual custom.

Here is something I just considered. It seems to me that these public touch screens can be used with or without the medallion. If all I want is directions to the buffet or today's menu for the dining room and I don't happen to have my medallion on me (I can't imagine why I wouldn't have my medallion, but work with me, here.), is there any reason why I couldn't walk up to the screen and get that info?

Don't see why not since they say you have to punch in a password.

I believe you can access the menus from the touch screens

I'd love to see that happen. Maybe even have it accessible in the cabin also since it would be on their server anyway.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I went down to the DR just to have a look at their menu to decide on either the buffet or DR.

I'd love to see that happen. Maybe even have it accessible in the cabin also since it would be on their server anyway.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I went down to the DR just to have a look at their menu to decide on either the buffet or DR.

I am right there with you. On Emerald last month I would visit dining room around 3pm everyday just to see what was on dinner menu. Having a touch screen with menus is a win win for everyone.

It seems reasonable to me that any capability that is available on the public area touchscreen devices would be available on the cabin TV, and, if desired, on a passenger's SmartPhone/Tablet/PC. Of course, I am, once again, completely indulging in Cruise Critic speculation, here.

:p

Lots of wonderful things proposed, but Princess never did master the magnetic card system (long lines at the PSD) and haven't been able to develop a fleet wide TV system that is of much use (the Program Guide for instance) so I am a bit skeptical. If it opens the stateroom door I'm OK with it. Incidentally, are there any markings on the medallions to tell them apart.

Lots of wonderful things proposed, but Princess never did master the magnetic card system (long lines at the PSD) and haven't been able to develop a fleet wide TV system that is of much use (the Program Guide for instance) so I am a bit skeptical. If it opens the stateroom door I'm OK with it. Incidentally, are there any markings on the medallions to tell them apart.

The medallion is inscribed with the voyage information and your name.

If I have to use my smartphone, or ship's TV or some other device to order my Bloody Mary then what advantage does the Medallion provide?

The Medallion would be cool if, sitting on the Promenade Deck Starboard, I could just say "Medallion, bring me a Bloody Mary". and a few minutes later the waiter would appear with a Bloody Mary.

Until then, it's just extra work and something I need to plan ahead on (i.e. Order the Bloody Mary on my TV in my room and then run down to the Promenade deck to meet the waiter.)

Just was watching the Unabomber thing on TV last night. Read his "Manifesto".... Interesting, isn't it HAL? "I'm sorry Dave - I can't do that"... ;p:D