Midnight Sun cruise -- boots needed?

DRS/NC

Friends & I just booked the 14-day Midnight Sun cruise for June 2018 on the Sapphire -- so excited!

I'm already thinking about what clothes I'll need.

I know that it's impossible to predict closely, but generally, what weather/temperatures should we expect, especially above the Artic Circle?

I know that layers are usually the answer, but what about shoes? Am I apt to need boots (regular or waterproof)?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated! :)

We just got back from an 18-night Land of the Midnight Sun cruise on the Pacific Princess where we spent 9 days above the Arctic Circle.

Yes, lots of layers, and waterproof gear for rain, snow, and wind.

Weather was high 30s and extremely windy in Longyearbyen Spitsbergen where we went hiking on permafrost (me wearing day hikers) and hubby later hiking up talus to the top of a mountain with hiking boots.

Got snowed on on top of a lookout for Geirangerfjord.

High 40s at North Cape.

But warm, sunny temperatures in Bergen Norway.

Some of our photos can be found here (he is still working on them)

http://www.websailor.org/index.php?/category/979

Edited by cflutist

We just got back from an 18-night Land of the Midnight Sun cruise on the Pacific Princess where we spent 9 days above the Arctic Circle.

Yes, lots of layers, and waterproof gear for rain, snow, and wind.

Weather was high 30s and extremely windy in Longyearbyen Spitsbergen where we went hiking on permafrost (me wearing day hikers) and hubby later hiking up talus to the top of a mountain with hiking boots.

Got snowed on on top of a lookout for Geirangerfjord.

High 40s at North Cape.

But warm, sunny temperatures in Bergen Norway.

Some of our photos can be found here (he is still working on them)

http://www.websailor.org/index.php?/category/979

OMG this is why I go to the Caribbean in January & February!! :D

Tony

Weather in high Arctic is unpredictable. We were in Honningsvåg on summer solstice 2015. It was foggy and chilly, single digit Celsius. No need to wear boots in town or in Nordkapp. DW only wore her sneaker sandals.Honningsvg_zpsmmnpeq1s.jpg

We did this cruise in June 2016. If you are hiking, yes you require hiking boots. If not, just regular closed shoes with warm socks. We required lots of layers. At most ports it was comfortable. Long pants with a comfortable top and a hoodie sweatshirt. I remember wearing shorts on the ship and at some ports. The only place it was fairly cold was at North Cape. Don't forget a rain jacket.

Hi I am booked on the Saphire to the Arctic Circle in August 2018, I last cruised this destination in 2003 but have been to the fijords since. The weather can be surprisingly warm, I remember being bemused by the fact I was in a short sleeved top when Japanese tourists were wrapped in blankets and masks. What I would say is be prepared for rain and more rain, just take waterproof jackets that you can pack away when you don't need them.

Also many of the ports are small, you go for the scenery! I've done a few trips, I tend to pick the hiking ones.

This cruise can be really quite magical, I remember being on deck at midnight, daylight, looking up to see a puffin flying around my head.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also did this cruise on the Crown in June. We wore walking shoes and never needed boots. We were around snow at times but never hiked in it.

Weather can change all day, so layering is your best bet for comfort.

:)

Like cflutist, we also did the Midnight Sun & Spitsbergen that just wrapped up last month. We packed VERY light (an under-the-airplane-seat bag and backpack was all I brought for 33 days on the PP plus a week in England & a week back on the QM2). No boots, just normal Saucony trail walking shoes and a Gore-tex waterproof coat. Never felt like I didn't have what I needed - layers are definitely the key.

The shops on the ship didn't sell boots but they did sell lots of coats and sweatshirts.