Best way to get from Orlando port to Universal?

plum24

There is no "port" in Orlando...that is in the CENTER of Florida! You need to get to Port Canaveral....it's just that Orlando is where the most-used airport is. A car rental would be best if you'll be staying in Cape Canaveral the night prior....otherwise, there are private shuttles which cost less than thru the cruise line. Google "shuttles, Orlando to Cape Canaveral", and you should get lots of info.

The best way is to book the cruise transfer with Royal Caribbean. It's simple, affordable and dependable.

Takes about an hour to get to the parks. You get about six hours there to enjoy yourself. Then when your tired from running around all day they take you back to the ship.

Much better than renting a car and driving back exhausted. The transfer might be a few bucks more, but, it's worth every penny.

Jonathan

Thanks. Our itinerary says we're in Orlando from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm so I'm planning on having more than 6 hours at Universal [emoji1]

I'd heard the ship bus takes more than 90 min; perhaps not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Our itinerary says we're in Orlando from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm so I'm planning on having more than 6 hours at Universal [emoji1]

I'm confused. Your cruise itinerary says you are in Orlando? Or does it say you are in Port Canaveral? The ride from Port Canaveral to Universal is about an hour in a car.

Sounds like your doing Anthem. We have the same arrival time in Florida next February.

We've done the theme parks transfer twice. Once with Explorer to Universal which took about one hour and 15 minutes.

Last February on Anthem we went to Epcot which took one hour.

It cost about $35 per person. But, it was absolutely worth it. To not have to negotiate confusing highways and crowded parking lots is tremendous.

The buses will probably leave Port Canaveral around 9 or 10 am and leave the theme park 5 pm.

There are several departure times they stagger them. It's a good idea to plan on the first bus back. If you are late and miss it, there will be another.

But, if you miss all of the shuttles it's about a $200 cab ride back to port.

Jonathan

In Orlando, i would use UBER. We were at the Grand Floridian two weeks ago for a conference and out car was parked in the parking lot. We found it easier and cheaper to see the alternate sites/restaurants using UBER. If you rent a car to go too Universal, you will need to pay for parking and park away from the front gate. With UBER, they drop you right at the entrance. They will pick you up as well.

IGNORE - I misread the post. I thought you were traveling from Orlando to Universal but you actually said from Orlando Port. In that case, i would rent a car.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

We did a car service from Universal to the port we missed commute hours and it took about an hour. $35 for the ship shuttle is pretty cheap except that's PP. Personally, I wouldn't do a rental. To much time wasted. I would either do a car service, Uber, or shuttle in that order. Uber is probably cheaper but they might be pretty busy with the ship in port.

If you are in port until 9:00 PM you will have plenty of time at Universal. However, I would look at buying the "VIP" or "Head of the Line" (whatever they call it). We got it for free because we spent a couple of nights at a park hotel. It was or would have been money well spent and would be very helpful with the limited time you have. Keep in mind it doesn't work in Harry Potter land, but everyplace else makes your line wait almost zero.

Very helpful, thanks!

Sorry to sound confusing. I meant the port day that we are near Orlando [emoji1]

For those if you who took RCCL transportation: if we dock at 7:00, is the first bus not until 9:00?

Rental will likely be the cheapest, but factor in the time to pick up the car (drop off should be negligible). Generally one-day rentals in this part of the world can be had for <$70.

If you're going to do a rental, go with one of the business rental companies (national, hertz, Avis) and join their program. Even at entry level they should pre-fill all the documentation for you and make pick-up fast.

The most hassle free will be the RCCL transportation.

Uber will be $90 each way. Taxi will be ridiculous, especially heading back where the mears monopoly is involved. I don't have any experience with car services but doubt they'll come in under Uber.

What say you: car service, cruise bus or car rental? Want to waste as little time/money as possible.

Thanks!

I have done both: Renting a car and taking Royal Caribbean's "excursion bus."

Each has pros and cons.

Pro rental car; con rental car ..............................

Pro: You can leave as soon as the gangway opens.

Con: You then have to spend time taking the rental car company shuttle to the office & getting your vehicle.

Pro: You can spend as much time as you like, within the time parameters, instead of waiting for all of the others on the bus and/or keeping to the bus' timetable.

Con: You have to do the driving. Gas, tolls, parking. (time and money)

A point about cost comparison: The more people you have to stuff in your rented vehicle vs purchasing the bus transportation for each person, the better deal the rental is. Two people, not so much.

Unlike the post above, I was never given the choice of an "early bus departure" or "later bus departure". It was one bus. The guide on our bus (she was very good, and chattered most of the ride about the area, its history and topography, flora and fauna) must had emphasized three dozen times that we HAD TO BE BACK ON THE BUS at 7 P.M. or it would leave without us.

I was back on by 6:45, because I'm a good little obedient group member. 7 o'clock came and went. We waited until 7:40 for the last stragglers. :(

We used Uber four of us $90 each way for the car ride excellent value great driver took about one hour no waiting about for any late comers and no worries about hiring a car which probably adds the best part of thirty to forty five minutes each way onto your time ashore what with the getting to the car rental office doing the paperwork etc etc etc.

Honestly think we were in the park before the cruise shuttles had left.

Dropped us off and picked us up outside the main entrance.

Highly recommended.

Rental will likely be the cheapest, but factor in the time to pick up the car (drop off should be negligible). Generally one-day rentals in this part of the world can be had for <$70.

If you're going to do a rental, go with one of the business rental companies (national, hertz, Avis) and join their program. Even at entry level they should pre-fill all the documentation for you and make pick-up fast.

The most hassle free will be the RCCL transportation.

Uber will be $90 each way. Taxi will be ridiculous, especially heading back where the mears monopoly is involved. I don't have any experience with car services but doubt they'll come in under Uber.

Oh, I forgot about this.

By the time you are dropping off the car back at the rental office, it will probably be closed. So, no free shuttle back to the ship. You'll have to call a cab or Uber. (and pay for it) (and allowing time for it - and don't forget to fill up the car with gas before dropping it off)

Oh, I forgot about this.

By the time you are dropping off the car back at the rental office, it will probably be closed. So, no free shuttle back to the ship. You'll have to call a cab or Uber. (and pay for it) (and allowing time for it - and don't forget to fill up the car with gas before dropping it off)

You're right. I wasn't thinking about the more limited hours at the port.

All things considered I'd probably try to find another couple on the OP's roll call who want to go and get an Uber. That's probably both cheapest and most convenient.